LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 03-25-2011, 07:53 PM   #1
AffipgyncDync

Default How do you politely tell somebody that their dog is....
NOT FRIENDLY!! haha. It's hilarious to me how many people think that they have sociable, friendly dogs. When in fact their dog is scared and intimidated. Yesterday my neighbor pulled up to the house at the same time I did (we were coincidently just getting back from walking our dogs) and after greeting and the normal blah blah, she said that I should take my dog over to meet her roommates dog (a pit bull mix). My pup is 4 months and I have been spending a lot of time socializing her different situations, people, dogs ect ect. Of course I ask if her roommates dog is friendly and she of course says "yeah she's great, she'll love your dog" So we go to her backyard, and I keep my dog on the leash and begin a mild introduction. I would consider this other dog (ill call her alpha) ok. My dog just wants to play, but this other dog is just a complete punk. I left after about five minutes because it got to the point where Ivy would grab a toy and try to play and Alpha would just get on top of Ivy and growl. So Ivy would be polite and submissive, lie down until alpha moved off her, but as soon as Ivy would move Alpha would growl and get her back on her on the ground. The thing that I thought was weird was that the owner didn't think anything of it.

Now If I owned Alpha I don't think i would invite other dogs to come play, because it seemed clear to me that Alpha was more of a solo dog. I don't know. Maybe Im just irritated because Ivy has played with dogs that are "social and fun to play with" and I guess I just don't understand how some dog owners think that their dog is so friendly, but its not. It isnt an aggressive dog, but it definitely isn't "friendly" Am I crazy?

Old 03-25-2011, 07:57 PM   #2
movlabk

i dont know what breed of dog you own, but if you have an APBT. you dont need to be having your dog play with other dogs at all, even at 4 months old.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:57 PM   #3
fkjghfg

No, most people dont know dog behavior so they have NO CLUE what theyre dogs are actually doing. Its these owners who usually have dogs who start fights and the owners say.. Fluffy was never aggressive before" Uhh yeah she was, youre just to thick to see it.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:00 PM   #4
AffipgyncDync

i dont know what breed of dog you own, but if you have an APBT. you dont need to be having your dog play with other dogs at all, even at 4 months old.
Thanks for telling me what I need to do...

She's a puppy. Im going to let her play with dogs/puppys as much as I can until she matures.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:03 PM   #5
movlabk

nevermind i saw you have a bully, you can let it play with other dogs, i thought you had a pitbull my bad.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:15 PM   #6
elektikaka

nevermind i saw you have a bully, you can let it play with other dogs
not necessarily true

Old 03-25-2011, 08:17 PM   #7
movlabk

ehh just said it cause i could careless what he does with his "bully"

At first I thought he were talking about apbt. I guess it should matter though since most of the public would view it as a "Pitbull"

Old 03-25-2011, 08:22 PM   #8
DavidQD

When I was at an ADBA show in Georgia, Mutt and I met the most scared shitless ambully mutt... I seriously thought the dog was going to bite me. But I didn't feel like getting into an argument, so I just kind of stayed away from the dog lol.
But I'd probably tell someone 'you should socialize him more'

Old 03-25-2011, 08:30 PM   #9
flnastyax

I have an opposite problem. My APBT mix isn't dog friendly. But for some reason, people insist on bringing their dogs over to "visit". I tell them repeatedly to back off and keep moving but they're just convinced that their dog is nice so it won't be a problem.. Unfortunately, it doesn't matter how friendly your dog is because my guy won't like him.

Another problem I have is along the same lines. My Dogo likes all dogs (especially small dogs) except he hates medium-to-large sized curly-haired dogs. He was attacked by my old neighbors' Goldendoodle (that never was aggressive before, of course) and now thinks every dog that even resembles one or a poodle is going to attack him. One of the neighbors has the sweetest curly-haired black dog, really a sweet friendly dog. She's convinced that Carter won't have a problem because her dog is so friendly. Unfortunately again, it really don't matter because Carter sees all curly dogs as a threat.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:40 PM   #10
AffipgyncDync

ehh just said it cause i could careless what he does with his "bully"

At first I thought he were talking about apbt. I guess it should matter though since most of the public would view it as a "Pitbull"
This is irritating. If you don't like bullies or whatever you want to call my dog, then don't post on this topic....move on to the next. I won't sit here and apologize because my dog doesn't fit some perfect profile of the exact APBT. I joined this forum because the dog was given to me as a gift, the UKC papers say AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER, and I was hoping to become more knowledgable (which I have, the stickies are great). So i thought joining a chat that says APBT would be a good choice. Clearly I was wrong. I didnt think I had to do loads of research and find the exact Fing technical specification of my dog prior to joining this site. This is also probably why I don't post very much. And frankly I don't really hang out with the Bully crowd if you know what I mean. My PoSTs ArnT riTTen lIke dIS......Really, do we dislike the breed or the people...F*#@ it

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 AM ----------

nevermind i saw you have a bully, you can let it play with other dogs, i thought you had a pitbull my bad.
Again, thank you. This time for letting me know what I can and can not do.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:42 PM   #11
fkjghfg

MBR, theres this handy dandy button called ignore. Feel free to ignore those who add nothing to your surfing experience.

I think youre doing right by socializing your pup, whether its a bully or an apbt.

Also, we have a section here dedicated to the American Bully, you just need to get permission to join, which cuts down on the bashing. Please pm Shon or Vicki for permission.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:44 PM   #12
Tw1anJOO

Unfortunately people register their American Bullies as APBT. So just because her papers say she is an APBT doesn't mean she is.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:47 PM   #13
movlabk

your welcome. I dislike the breed reguardless of who is holding the leash.

just beacuse you have a paper that says your dog is a APBT doesnt make it one.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:53 PM   #14
fkjghfg

Careful not to breed bash, its against the forum rules.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:58 PM   #15
AffipgyncDync

MBR, theres this handy dandy button called ignore. Feel free to ignore those who add nothing to your surfing experience.

I think youre doing right by socializing your pup, whether its a bully or an apbt.

Also, we have a section here dedicated to the American Bully, you just need to get permission to join, which cuts down on the bashing. Please pm Shon or Vicki for permission.
You're awesome. Thank you. I had no idea about ignore.

---------- Post added at 11:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 AM ----------

Unfortunately people register their American Bullies as APBT. So just because her papers say she is an APBT doesn't mean she is.
Right. I was just saying that me, a nubie-brand new guy, would probably think that if somebody gave him a Camaro and the title said, "Camaro" he would probably think joining a Camaro chat group would be okay. Turns out he joined the classic car camaro group (even though it's titled CAMAROCHAT.COM) and they somehow have people on the site that hate any 2nd, 3rd, or 4th gen Camaros.

Well I have to go take my dog to the vet now. Maybe when I get back people will have read the original post and posted similar stories....probably not though. Have a good day.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:01 PM   #16
Tw1anJOO

There are people who really dislike American Bullies. But most people on here dislike the breeders of the American Bullies because of their dishonesty (the majority). You should definitely get access to the American Bully section.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:22 PM   #17
gennnniiikk

well ... it seems that some folks can dislike the ambully, proclaim that the apbt is the only way to go, and yet not know shit about the apbt.. and not realize they do not know anything... and proclaim their self centered ignorance very loudly...but I guess there are folks like that who own all breeds of dogs...

Old 03-25-2011, 09:30 PM   #18
leareliovag

There are people who really dislike American Bullies. But most people on here dislike the breeders of the American Bullies because of their dishonesty (the majority). You should definitely get access to the American Bully section.
BINGO... your dog is what it is dont get offended. You fell into the big xxl blue pit bull hype you got what you paid for, a dog whose not a pit bull but yet an American Bully. If you would of done your history prior to getting your pup you would have known the difference between an APBT and american bully reguardless of names...
dont get offended people are just telling you the truth...
As far as you shouldnt be letting your pups play with other dogs at 4 months... well to me thats bullshit. APBTs dont just pop out the womb dog aggressive. Its still a pup socilaize it. Hell my dog even has a few playmates to this day and shes selective da. particually with females. All her 3 playmates are males.
Do what you want this your dog, its yours not ours. And grow some thicker skin while your at it.
(it think we should add that to the rules lmao)

Old 03-25-2011, 09:43 PM   #19
AffipgyncDync

BINGO... your dog is what it is dont get offended. You fell into the big xxl blue pit bull hype you got what you paid for, a dog whose not a pit bull but yet an American Bully. If you would of done your history prior to getting your pup you would have known the difference between an APBT and american bully reguardless of names...
dont get offended people are just telling you the truth...
As far as you shouldnt be letting your pups play with other dogs at 4 months... well to me thats bullshit. APBTs dont just pop out the womb dog aggressive. Its still a pup socilaize it. Hell my dog even has a few playmates to this day and shes selective da. particually with females. All her 3 playmates are males.
Do what you want this your dog, its yours not ours. And grow some thicker skin while your at it.
(it think we should add that to the rules lmao)
Fair enough.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:47 PM   #20
Tw1anJOO

APBTs dont just pop out the womb dog aggressive.
Another common misconception. There are a few members who will tell you that they had to separate pups at 4 weeks old because they were just that aggressive.

Anyways to the OP. I would highly suggest learning what true socialization is. It isn't just playing with other dogs. It is learning how to behave in public and be neutral to all other distractions even other dogs.

Reply to Thread New Thread