LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 01-21-2011, 07:48 PM   #1
SimSlim

Default Proud of myself for turning the other cheek
So I am at a work Lunch at TGI Fridays earlier this week, and we begin to talk about our pets. My supervisor looks at me and says, "You have a dog right?" So I said proudly, "Yes I have two, a Pit bull and a German Shephard." A coworker of mine says "OH I am APALLED! We have had this discussion before" Our manager responds "What, you don't like dogs?" Of course she corrects herself "No I love dogs, I have a dog and she is delightful, I just don't like Pit bulls, its like Devil vs. Angel" (she points to me when saying Devil, and to herself when saying Angel)
As she said, we have had this discussion before and I refuse to get upset anymore.

I have come to the conclusion that she has made her mind up about this beautiful breed, so I just laughed and told her my dogs are wonderful too, a little mischevious but very sweet and loving, and that it is her loss. I'm proud of myself, because in the past I have blown up on her when discussing Diesel. Of course I cussed her out in my mind..but thats another story

Old 01-21-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
Galsteinbok

Good for you! These people really don't know what they are missing out on, and I hope it stays that way.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:53 PM   #3
Slintreeoost

Sometimes I find people and their balls to be just so... shocking.

It's like, sure, I may not believe in God but I'm not going to go around and start arguments, in person, with co-workers or friends about religion on PURPOSE just to seem them get upset.

It's good you didn't get upset or reply to her in a nasty way, but I would've said something like, "you know, you really need to keep your opinion to yourself and be consider of other peoples feelings. I get it, you don't like pit bulls, but that doesn't mean you get to keep shoving it in my face and upsetting me or hurting my feelings."

People sometimes freak when you call them out on that shit.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:07 PM   #4
Oberjej

I work at a pretty conservative company so there are a fair amount of people here who have some misguided opinions about pitbull type dogs.

I don't get too fired up anymore about it because I realize some people just get stuck in a set of beliefs and are happy that way...they don't want to change or be more educated.

Usually I tell people here, "you're entitled to your opinion, i just wish it was based on fact or experience." Usually people stop after that.

Plenty of people are accepting though and some people seemed to have opened there eyes some because of my dogs. My boss is a pretty conservative guy but he's met my dogs a couple times now and really likes them. He jokes a lot still and always tell people my dogs are going to eat people's babies...but i knew that he views them a lot differently after being exposed to them.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:11 PM   #5
Cogebrego

There really is no point in arguing with some people who really have their minds made up, but i did shake up a family friend at Thanksgiving. She really wanted to have the debate, and wanted me to tell her all the reasons (again) that I don't think pit bulls are evil monsters. I just said, "remember my late uncle Ray? He didn't like black people, his mind was made up and it was pointless to argue with him, that's kind of how I feel about this argument, you can always find a story about a bad pit bull and he could always find a story about an african american criminal." I shut her up without being rude, which I think is crucial.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:37 PM   #6
Slintreeoost

There really is no point in arguing with some people who really have their minds made up, but i did shake up a family friend at Thanksgiving. She really wanted to have the debate, and wanted me to tell her all the reasons (again) that I don't think pit bulls are evil monsters. I just said, "remember my late uncle Ray? He didn't like black people, his mind was made up and it was pointless to argue with him, that's kind of how I feel about this argument, you can always find a story about a bad pit bull and he could always find a story about an african american criminal." I shut her up without being rude, which I think is crucial.
When I've debated with people online about pit bulls, this is one the key examples I use. If you were mugged by a black or white guy, would you suddenly fear ALL black or white guys? Probably not. Somewhere, the chain of thought is served; they wouldn't be afraid of black people but if they were attacked by a "pit bull", they'd suddenly be afraid of ALL pit bulls or even all dogs. I'm not sure how that ends up happening, but it's interesting to think about.

I also use a personal experience of mine when I was little and bit by a family friend's ChowChow. I tell people I'd like to own a ChowChow one day and that I'm not even in the slightest scared of them.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:40 PM   #7
Oberjej

When I've debated with people online about pit bulls, this is one the key examples I use. If you were mugged by a black or white guy, would you suddenly fear ALL black or white guys? Probably not. Somewhere, the chain of thought is served; they wouldn't be afraid of black people but if they were attacked by a "pit bull", they'd suddenly be afraid of ALL pit bulls or even all dogs. I'm not sure how that ends up happening, but it's interesting to think about.

I also use a personal experience of mine when I was little and bit by a family friend's ChowChow. I tell people I'd like to own a ChowChow one day and that I'm not even in the slightest scared of them.
I was bit in the face by a border collie and had to get 13 stitches through my lip. I don't think all border collies are going to bite me.

But some people have different reactions...some people might think they're all bad dogs. I mean some people do get mugged by a black person and then place the blame on the whole race. It's sad and ignorant but it does happen all the time. Some people just aren't rational/reasonable.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:09 PM   #8
Cogebrego

I needed 17 stiches to my lips and face, and a visit to a plastic surgeon, after being bitten by a rottweiler. I have also known lovely ones and would own one if it was like the huge mush an ex boyfriend owned.

---------- Post added at 03:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 PM ----------

that said, after grooming and being bitten by an unfotunate # of nasty shi tzus, I am naturally on guard around them until they really show me they are friendly, an acumulation of bad experiences can cause predjudices that are harder to get over.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:43 PM   #9
tiereenny

Yea sometimes I think it is just better to avoid conversations about Religion, Politics, and Pitbulls. Why? Because on these subjects people have pre-conceived notions and have their minds made up. They are not really going to change their minds, so why waste the breath. Sometimes I bring my dog to work but I am the boss so I get to do what I want. Sometimes a person might be a little nervous because he is a pitbull but of course 5 minutes with him and they always wind up loving him.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:48 AM   #10
Qualarrizab

LOL, I agree with Atheist. My bf has recently had his book published and we are finding ourselves out in the public's eye a lot more than in the past. Out Am Staff Jake is on the back cover of his book and this of course starts the discussion about pitbulls for some reason.

We have learned very quickly to not discuss and/or argue the points of religion, politics or pitbulls, just to keep things on an even keel while doing book signings.

Like they say, you can't fix stupid.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:49 AM   #11
tipoketpu

Good for you!! It amazes me the things that people think are okay to "jokingly" say about our breed(s) of choice. Heaven forbid you should say anything remotely negative about their PERFECT family pet...

Old 01-22-2011, 12:54 AM   #12
HwoRas1

Have you ever tried to get her to come over or just find a way for her to meet your dog before? i mean just by meeting a very well mannered pit bull i have changed many folks minds about the breed

Old 01-22-2011, 05:35 AM   #13
wallyfindme

Eh,being a Devil is way more fun than being an Angel anyway!

Reply to Thread New Thread