LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 05-02-2011, 02:42 AM   #1
Zdfjpbth

Default flying a dog acrosss country?
Too wierd! So, I was following the thread that ended up on the Georgia CraigsList - Pets ..... and saw a dog today that resembled my friend's supposed rottXbassett... (the GA dog is a supposedly a rottxdaschund). My friend fell in love and wants this dog! I just sent the link because I thought it was uncanny to see a dog that was so much like hers!! She has spoken to the owner (they are moving and can't/won't take dog...how nice!) ... the issue is getting said dog from Georgia to California. What insight might any of you have to share re how to go about this? Should they just start calling airlines? Any experience with specific ones and generl cost ballpark?

Old 05-02-2011, 03:08 AM   #2
EnvellFen

This time of year, it may be difficult to fly a dog in cargo across the country due to cold weather, but if that can be worked around then the dog will need to see a Vet and get a health certificate (and rabies vaccine). Cost depends on the size of the dog and the crate, how big is the dog? Should be able to fly an average sized 50 pound dog for around $350. Is your friend considering flying out and meet the dog first?

Old 05-02-2011, 03:31 AM   #3
Zdfjpbth

Thanks for your reply. The ad said he's about the size of a beagle. Yanno, this all happened so fast - it was love at first sight, so I never even asked her if she intended to meet first... I assumed not, and offered to get a few tips from my trusty experienced forum friends.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:43 AM   #4
gIWnXYkw

This time of year, it may be difficult to fly a dog in cargo across the country due to cold weather, but if that can be worked around then the dog will need to see a Vet and get a health certificate (and rabies vaccine). Cost depends on the size of the dog and the crate, how big is the dog? Should be able to fly an average sized 50 pound dog for around $350. Is your friend considering flying out and meet the dog first?
not true at all. i did mine in feb from wa to ga, the temps are perfect for what the flights want.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:13 AM   #5
Zdfjpbth

Well, it sounds like it will be a roadtrip after all as the dog needs shots...... I think that's best anyway that they will go meet him in person!

Old 05-02-2011, 04:31 AM   #6
PPActionnGuys

id MUCH sooner fly a dog vs a roadtrip. its alot less stressfull on the animal.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:04 AM   #7
Zdfjpbth

I hear ya LD - I meant meet the dog first however it happened... I don't knwo what the issue is about the shots....maybe there are time issues...

Old 05-02-2011, 06:04 AM   #8
55Beaphable

Airlines lose dogs all the time, I'd be very careful about flying a dog in cargo across the country: Army Officer's Dog Lost By Delta Found Dead

Google "delta loses dog" or "airline loses dog," it's alot more common than you think. I live 10 miles from Hartsfield International Airport so we hear about these stories all the time. There are private airlines just for dogs and they have much better reputations than the major airlines for transporting dogs.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:26 PM   #9
Progniusis

I'm just curious here, but what happens if she spends all this money to fly the dog out to her, and she hates the dog? What if its HA or has expensive health problems or something? I think it's a tad....odd, not to meet it or the owners first. =/

Old 06-01-2011, 04:33 PM   #10
55Beaphable

I'm just curious here, but what happens if she spends all this money to fly the dog out to her, and she hates the dog? What if its HA or has expensive health problems or something? I think it's a tad....odd, not to meet it or the owners first. =/
It always amazes me too when people do this, especially since nearly every animal control in the nation is bursting at the seams. Why not adopt locally and just give your local shelter a heads up about what type of dog you are looking for. Has she checked Petfinder.com or Adoptapet.com?

Old 06-01-2011, 07:38 PM   #11
Zdfjpbth

I think she is actually going to go out there to pick it up (which is good) -- This was just a totally random mix that looks almost just like her current totally random mix ... I think that's why it hit such a nerve. I know I prolly wouldn't go that far for a dog unless I was buying a purebred...

Reply to Thread New Thread