LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 04-02-2011, 02:16 AM   #1
avaiguite

Default Question?
I'm a bit confused about something like usual. I'm sure most of you say not to really do any kind of strenous exercise until they were at least 1.5 years old but that dog theceo posted of his 7 month old pup of whatever it was looked like it had a good bit of conditioning. Noone said anything about it. Of course they were more worried about him selling crap without telling people what it was. So I guess I'm just asking about how bad is it to start that kind of exercise that young?

I hope this isn't considered a personal attack

Old 04-02-2011, 02:34 AM   #2
Intiltern

hmm, well that dog was an am. bully for one and a large one at that, so that said they seem to show more muscle in general with little exercise, just what I have seen, you can have one with no tuck at all but it shows pretty ok leg and arm muscle. That said I do walk Abby with Goren and that can be as much as 4 miles round trip, that is not every day, but I do it with all my dogs, I don't let them go fast, we go a steady pace and all. I also work her on the flirtpole (she is lazy and does not really run lol) but I never let her jump, I did the same with Lola when I had her. I don't work her long at all but I still work her.

The thing I am trying to say in my rambled mess is its more about how long you do things and how strenuous it is, you let a child ride a bike but they don't get to ride in a race kinda thing.

---------- Post added at 07:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 PM ----------

O yea and Abby will be a year this month, I have had her a few months, but Lola I had from 6 weeks to about 5 months before I found her a home.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:54 AM   #3
Alice_Medichi34

Larger dogs take more time to mature, grow etc. Example, Saint Bernards aren't considered full grown until they're 3 or 4 years old. Bones are softer, growth plates take longer to close (? I think that's the right word for it). I didn't walk Ethel on sidewalks until this year, and she's 2, I made her walk on the grass. Too much impact on the joints and bones is never a good thing, especially on a larger dog who's joints and bones take a lot more stress than an average sized dog. Which is also why people are encouraged to keep their dogs lean, it's easier on their joints and bones.

With bullies like the ones you saw, they're naturally more bulky (well most of them), so they have more muscle and sometimes tone than other breeds and I imagine with dogs like that it would require less real strenuous exercise to get real muscle definition as the muscle mass is already there. (But I could be wrong, I don't own any beefy dogs)

Old 04-02-2011, 03:52 AM   #4
avaiguite

So I made a mistake walking star on the pavement. If we walked on the grass all the time it would take all day to go 20 feet.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:03 AM   #5
Progniusis

No, you didn't make a mistake. Star is not a large breed dog, nor is he a puppy. You have nothing to worry about, you've never put him through strenuous exercise such as.jogging for miles etc as a puppy, so he'll be fine. You need to not worry so much, really.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:25 AM   #6
Alice_Medichi34

I don't see Star hitting the 100 pound mark anytime soon, so don't worry about it.

I agree with Peyton, don't worry so much.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:14 AM   #7
ApporpSothe

Just be careful, and don't over do it... you don't want to bring on an ACL injury. Sounds like you are on the right track!

Reply to Thread New Thread