LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 11-28-2010, 02:27 AM   #1
drugimpotence

Default I this a bad habit to get into
Bam Bam loves to sleep with any of the kids and kinda been letting him do so.He is 3 months old and sleeps threw the night if he's sleeping with either of my 2 oldest.And kinda makes it nice not having to clean any messes or listen to his crying by isolating him.So any insight on this?bad habit that needs broke or will this be o.k?

Old 11-28-2010, 02:39 AM   #2
zoppereurvito

As soon as my guy started sleeping thru the night, we let him sleep in our bed. we love it and so does he. I feel where he sleeps at night is a personal preference really. only thing I'd potentially worry about sleeping in a childs bedroom would be if puppy woke up at night and ate small toys or something along those lines.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:47 AM   #3
RalfDweflywex

I'd say it more depends on the age and responsibilty of your children?
It is good practice NOT to leave any breed alone with children. This can be lessened as children mature(notice I didn't say age). As the children know how to properly treat a dog, and can show some control in reguards to OB.
My oldest is 6, and it will be years until he is left unsupervised with a dog at all.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:52 AM   #4
MatueHarton

I would also say it depends on the age of your children. How old are they?

Old 11-28-2010, 03:00 AM   #5
drugimpotence

Well when his feet hit the floor I hear him and check to see if he needs out.But the little dude seems like he wouldn't hurt a fly plus he is snoring like he's a big bear. I just would like to know if anyone else let their pups sleep with their kids.

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 PM ----------

He mostly sleeps with my 10year old son that has been helping with training and he walks the dog twice a day with his 6year old sister.(and myself of course) It just seems harmless cause he's sleeping and my son is doing really good with him.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:09 AM   #6
Gakeincidoniac

I was five years old when my dog first started sleeping in my bed with me (An old spaniel) and there was never any problems and I can say for a fact that having her on my bed with me meant I was never scared of 'monsters' in the dark. My current dog is 11 months but she's been sleeping on my bed with me since she was three months.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:19 AM   #7
SNUfR8uI

Crate training can be very beneficial. If for any reason you do need to crate your dog he will be used to it and understand that the crate is a good thing and not something to be feared. Plus crates are a safe place for your dog and your possessions. Mater is crated when we are not home.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:31 AM   #8
drugimpotence

We have been using the bathroom with a gate with the door open, t.v were he can see it and his bed and one of his favorite chew toys and seems to have a hard time with seperation but working on that

Old 11-28-2010, 03:34 AM   #9
SNUfR8uI

I wouldn't allow him to be able to see everything going on - he will of course want to be involved. Get a crate - you can find one on Craigslist really cheap - and put him in a separate room where he can't see everyone and what is going on. Ignore his crying, he will get over it.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:49 AM   #10
denyffishh

Yeah it is really up to you.

If you aren't going to want him in the bed down the line, don't let him on now.
If you just don't mind him sleeping on the beds/furniture, then let him!

Old 11-28-2010, 03:53 AM   #11
furillo

Most of the time our 11 month old pit mix sleeps on a dog bed next to my 9 y.o. son's bed. I'm a light sleeper so if I hear his tags jingle, I'll get up and check it out. But most nights once Gus hits his bed, he doesn't move till he hears my husband get up for work in the morning.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:41 AM   #12
Seesspoxy

Depends on the kid, depends on the dog.

When I was a kid, when we got my boxer as a puppy when I was like 7 or 8, he slept with me every night from day 1 (before the days of widespread internet usage and dog training information being everywhere).

He also grew up to have HORRIBLE separation anxiety since he was never alone until I was 10, my parents split up, so my mom wasn't home full time to be with him (and he destroyed our apartment and chewed his way out of a steel crate in about an hour).

For me, with my dogs, as a rule, when they're pups, they sleep in their crates until they're older and earn the right to pass out on the bed with me. Crate training is a useful thing, and if he's already not a fan of being isolated, you might as well work on that now. When he's older, he can sleep with the kids now and then.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:30 AM   #13
Kemapreedasse

I don't usually let my dogs sleep in the room with me however my GF would let Bailey in there while I was away at work. This turned out fine for us. Bailey is fine with being in a crate for the majority of the day or sleeping in it at night, no issues there. Since she is our only inside dog she has run of the house now a days. Bailey has slept in the room with whom ever she chooses for probably about 2 years now. She can come and go into my bed, my daughters bed or the sofa. My daughter is going to be 6 in December.

I personally wouldn't allow the dog to sleep with you until it is ok to be alone, by allowing the dog to be with you 24/7 you will be creating trouble for yourself in the future. Just my $.02

Old 11-28-2010, 01:34 PM   #14
drugimpotence

Thanks everyone for the responses,but the little guy loves sleeping with my 10 year old son and my son enjoys the company also.Bam Bam stays knocked out till I go and wake him up in the morning to go out.Makes sense about the anxiety with the t.v on ,going to work on that.Also I can hear the pup if he wakes up at anytime,he's been with us for 2 weeks now and he thinks at night my sons room is his room.

Reply to Thread New Thread