LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 11-20-2010, 05:15 AM   #1
CarrieSexy

Default How bad does this EB look?

This poor dog is in bad shape, it doesn't have hair on its back, terrible feet, everything, he is quite fat too right?

It is my friend's dog, just wanted to know how bad he looked, I've only really seen people with EB pups so I wasn't sure.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:26 AM   #2
Dstyeglm

He looks like Raider that goes to the dog daycare I work at. He is a sad sight to see as he can barely breathe or walk.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:33 AM   #3
Seesspoxy

He's quite hideous, although I have to admit he's really cute.

I can definitely say he could stand to lose quite a few pounds.

All the EBs I've ever seen have been insanely ugly, it seems to be their thing. But the least the owner of such a dog can do is keep it in good shape and as healthy as such a god forsaken creature can be.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:38 AM   #4
CarrieSexy

Yea she doesn't think anything is wrong with it, its sad

Old 11-20-2010, 05:41 AM   #5
engacenus

He looks older.. that is a big reason to knock off some weight if he is overweight. A breed like that does horribly overweight, much less an old dog..

Old 11-20-2010, 06:02 AM   #6
Seesspoxy

Yea she doesn't think anything is wrong with it, its sad
It really is.

A guy my bf works with has an EB. She's so ugly cute it's crazy. But they also take really good care of her, and she's not a fatty.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:06 AM   #7
Erexecike

I've seen ONE good looking English Bulldog. lol He goes to the "doggie daycare" I work at.

That EB is not the worst I've seen. He looks old. lol Still not very pretty to look at... hahah

Old 11-20-2010, 06:19 AM   #8
CarrieSexy

He is about 6 years old because he was a puppy when I met her, so 5 or 6.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:06 PM   #9
pouslytut

That is elderly for an EB...considering their life expectancy is 9 years. Poor things.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:48 PM   #10
Charryith

Like other posters have said.. He's just really old. Like Gatorpit said their life expectancy is only 9 years so he's on the downhill sadly. He does need to lose weight. Poor baby.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:23 PM   #11
capeAngedlelp

He doesn't look good. I've only met 1 nice looking EB, and she was a nasty b*tch of a dog. I feel really bad for most of them. This one dog that used to go to my other hospital, Jackson, was a damn mess. He was on so many antihistamines he just slept ALL day. Literally. He would wake up in the morning to eat and pee, then as soon as he was back in his cage, he'd go to sleep. He was adorable, but in just such bad shape.
It pains me to see that breed. There is nothing healthy about them, and I really hope, eventually, people will realize that and stop breeding them.
What goes through people's heads? "Oh, he can't walk, or breath, and he itches all day, but it's alright because people will pay $1500 for him, so I'll breed 10 more like him."

Old 11-20-2010, 05:48 PM   #12
pouslytut

Google "twisty cats" if you wanna see a really disgusting example of intentionally breeding unhealthy animals because it "looks cool".

I really like EBs, but I totally agree that it's terrible that people would perpetrate the intentional reproduction of an animal with such a heavy load of physical difficulties.

Allthough there's generally not much money to be made by breeding these dogs.

They have to be artificially inseminated as a female's rear end is almost always too weak to support the weight of a male's front end, the act of mating itself could be too much physical strain for some. That costs a bit. If you own the male you have to pay for semen collection as well, or to have semen shipped to the vet from another dog.

They all have to have c-sections. Every time. And they have small litters, 2-4 pups being average.

If the breeder does nothing else for the dam and pups besides the barest essentials to keep them alive (no special food, vet after care, or pre natal exams, no shots, etc, byb style) there's still not much of a profit margin.

Seems most folks I've seen who BYB EBs are the well off, well meaning types that genuinely care for their dogs, but don't understand the full ramifications of breeding pets. The ones that can and will pay, but aren't trying to make a profit. Instead using any of the other common reasons people who breed their pets use.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:44 PM   #13
leoto5Fm

Seems most folks I've seen who BYB EBs are the well off, well meaning types that genuinely care for their dogs, but don't understand the full ramifications of breeding pets. The ones that can and will pay, but aren't trying to make a profit. Instead using any of the other common reasons people who breed their pets use.
I think in the case of English Bulldogs, breeders (especially of show animals) have an odd, twisted sense of "accomplishment" in being able to perpetuate such extreme, "at-odds-with-nature" features. It's almost as if they see the challenge of breeding abnormal dogs as "more difficult" and therefore the accomplishments of pulling it off as more "valuable" than the "easy" challenge of breeding more "normal" animals.

Carla

Old 11-20-2010, 09:52 PM   #14
Nurse_sero

Well he's no Max. This is my nieces EB Max who is not over weight and can play soccer all day.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:00 PM   #15
pouslytut

That's an interesting perspective, and it makes a lot of sense.

Reply to Thread New Thread