LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 12-29-2009, 02:16 PM   #1
cholleyhomeob

Default Can You Trust Your Dog?
BE HONEST!!!

Can you trust your dog so much you can do ANYTHING to it? Clip his nails, brush his teeth, rub your face in his face, let him loose and he wont take off to never be seen again, put your face in his mouth, roll him on his back, pick him up-everything? Do you ever think something your going to do to your dog could result in a bite?

I feel like I can do anything to my dogs and be okay. I trust them 100%, and its a wonderful feeling. I was petting my girl today, as she leaned her head against mine, and I thought to my self 'it feels damn good knowing I never have to worry about you, changing your mind about how much you love me.'

Awww I love dogs.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:17 PM   #2
nitivearchit

100%

Old 12-29-2009, 02:18 PM   #3
cholleyhomeob

I know I trust my dogs 100% but I cant help but wonder if its possible to be 100% safe with an animal, am I crazy to think there is that much trust?

Old 12-29-2009, 02:21 PM   #4
Uplillacype

I trust mine 100%.. If thats crazy, then I guess Im crazy.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:36 PM   #5
nitivearchit

I am with you Alma then i am crazy too

Old 12-29-2009, 02:42 PM   #6
patrycjakolekk

There is no responsible ownership without 100% trust established between you and your dog.
And it goes both ways.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:44 PM   #7
ASSESTYTEAH

I'd be crazy to trust my pit mix even 50%. She is a 2 time shelter dog with some aggression issues. Must be nice though to have 100% trust in your dog. The dobe is a different story though. I got him as a pup and he would never bite me or anyone else.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:58 PM   #8
JorgiOLusinio

If I couldn't trust 'em I wouldn't own 'em...

Old 12-29-2009, 03:08 PM   #9
bushomeworkk

I trust Rambo 100% with me....He comes to me wanting to cuddle and puts his face near mine and i know he would never hurt me.

Now as far as everyone else not so much....Maybe about 90%. He growls at my boyfriend when he comes into the bedroom when i am sleeping as if to warn him he is there. He also goes insane if my boyfriend and i are wrestling or play hitting each other. He wants to protect me as much as he can. I truly believe he would give his life for me

Old 12-29-2009, 03:42 PM   #10
AromeWahmaron

BE HONEST!!!

Can you trust your dog so much you can do ANYTHING to it? Clip his nails, brush his teeth, rub your face in his face, let him loose and he wont take off to never be seen again, put your face in his mouth, roll him on his back, pick him up-everything? Do you ever think something your going to do to your dog could result in a bite?

I feel like I can do anything to my dogs and be okay. I trust them 100%, and its a wonderful feeling. I was petting my girl today, as she leaned her head against mine, and I thought to my self 'it feels damn good knowing I never have to worry about you, changing your mind about how much you love me.'

Awww I love dogs.
Both of our dogs let us clip their nails.

They would let us brush their teeth.

I've hugged/had my face in their faces without a problem.

Otis can be off leash (we can't loose the clingy bugger even if we tried).
However, Cody cannot. When she gets tired, she will leave you and go home. She might also get caught up on a sent or chasing an animal.

Both let us roll them on their backs.

We make it a point to pick Otis up every once and a while. We want him to be used to it and not fight it (i.e. squirm). No aggression with him.
Cody growls when you pick her up and may snap at some people.

Cody can also be a little on the aggressive side with some new people coming into her home (even if we invite them in, soemtiems we put her in another room or leash her/hold her collar). She is the one we have to keep an eye on. Otis loves everyone who comes in as long as we invite them in.

Cody might bite for a number of reasons. She has had issues her entire life but has settled down with age.
Otis is pretty good. The only time he might seriosly bite family (i.e. not his usual PIA mouthing routine) is if he's in pain. Still it would have to be quite a bit of pain, otherwise he'll be running to us crying Big baby.

We still never leave our dogs alone with small kids and new people. It's not worth the risk regardless of how much you trust them. Unforseen things can happen and some people will make up lies.

The dog that I think had the best temperament (and the one I trusted the most) of all the dogs I've met was Belladonna. She was a pit bull mix and I was never afraid she would bite me. I've messed with her when she was all fired up and going after other animals and when she was just hanging out. I shoved my hand down her throat, flipped her on her back, picked her up (belly up) and did things I knew had to hurt her somewhat. That dog would never put a tooth on me (I can't say the same about other dogs/cats). She was the best dog I have ever met. I wish I was in a different postion and could have taken her for myself. RIP sweetie.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:42 PM   #11
obHQNsY2

i trust all of my dogs except my beagle enough to safely say that any of you on this forum could walk up to any of them without me around and do anything you please with them and i wouldnt have it any other way

Old 12-29-2009, 03:52 PM   #12
cakaeroryrere

I trust mine totally with me or any strangers or kids. The cat is a different story...Sammy doesn't like to be disturbed by the cat while she's sleeping and I've caught her rumbling at the damn cat a time or two. I do believe the cat is bitch enough to try and get Sammy in trouble though. We were on the couch last night, Sammy covered in her blanket sleeping half on my lap. The cat climbed on the couch and climbed on Sammy and started kneading while just looking at the dog, probably thinking, "I dare you to try and growl at me now...." but Sammy did good and the cat got sent to another lap.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:01 PM   #13
QualityReachOut

I trust mine 100% not to harm me or anyone else but I still would not leave them unsupervised with people I don't know or with children because I feel that is my responsibilty.

I do not trust the Fila to be around anyone other than my immediate family but that really goes without saying. Although yes I can do anything to that giant smoosh face and he doesn't care

Old 12-29-2009, 04:09 PM   #14
DoctorTOneery

i trust the 100%
i trust them to do what bulldogs do.
when my son was younger he put them thru a long series of test lol
hes done cannon balls from the couch on top of them,poked eyes,pulled ears,tried to ride trey like a horse,and all other kinds of torture...

Old 12-29-2009, 04:18 PM   #15
cliceperperIa

Yes, I can say that at this point. I could not always say that with my Mikey, (RIP) but I can now. I have face time with all my dogs on a very regular basis.
I believe anyone could walk up to any of my dogs and walk off with them with the exception of Havanna. She is too stranger shy and takes a while to warm up, won't bite but won't let you put hands on her either.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:25 PM   #16
SarSerceSaice

Odin doesn't care what I do to him. He's a little concerned about strangers- for example, he doesn't like to be picked up by strangers, but I can hold him like a baby and he'll just put his head on my shoulder.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:31 PM   #17
newshep

I can do anything to Bully (pull on this or that, clip nails, let off leash) and I know he'll be good (Unless there is some little kid that knows his name, then I'm screwed!)

Lucy does great with everything except being off leash and clipping her nails. I can play with her nails, but man she hates the clippers. So I take her to the groomer (she doesn't bit, just squirms and I'm scared I'm going to hurt her if she moves at the wrong time.)

Old 12-29-2009, 04:41 PM   #18
OWDavid

100% trust with all three.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:43 PM   #19
engacenus

I can cut the nails on all of my dogs... I can brush their teeth (though J thinks it means I'm trying to giv him food or something and tried to back away ), I can open all of their mouths and do what I need to. I can NOT let them run free and expect them to stay with me if they saw another dog. The shepherds are very DA, and one of them is deaf. They do have a good recall, but not when they turn into Cujo.

I really think Dutch would nip or try to if we picked her up. She's 100lbs of aching joints and a deteriorating body. IT would hurt her very much... When she was healthy kids could ride on her. She is very sensitive to pain, so she was jumpy when I'd clean her up after fights, but never aggression, and if she forget herself and act like she was lunging she'd lick apologetically instead of a bite.

I can pick J up, I did last night to prove Is till could. But he's about 70lbs and just turned 8 mos, so I don't know how much longer that will be. I can clean his wounds and make him hold still while I do his ears (he was scared to death of them being touched inside)..

I am able to clean wounds and do just about everything physical I have to (J had an undescended testicle, so I had to check that for a while ), I have to keep Sparkles trimmed up, so that means her being good and still while I'm trimming around her eyes and hind end, mouth, and feet or she'll get hurt. I HAVE accidentally clipped her nails too short and she makes me feel bad by crying but never, ever trying to nip me. When Sparkles was about to die, the bulldog had her should/chest in her mouth and was crushing her, I was able to grab Sparkles' scruff and hind end (to keep her weight off of the teeth) and pry her teeth out of the bulldog so I could get her away as fast as possible when the other people broke the bulldog's grip. When they did I ran off with Sparkles', she screamed and crapped herself but never even looked back at me with the intention of biting, and I'll be honest, the way I handled her she might have thought I was after her too... I can say I think this have strengthened our bond.

I trust my dogs 99.9% because you cannot trust anything 100%, or so I've grown to learn.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:44 PM   #20
lalffibra

I trust Red and Judge 150% all the time. However, Hobie, is another story. I don't trust him as far as I could throw him. He is a wolf hybrid with a bad attitude, rescued at 9 months old, he is now 10 YEARS old. We just work around his issues.

courtney

Reply to Thread New Thread