LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 01-11-2010, 05:07 PM   #1
Brewpralgar

Default Leaving Puppy Alone
I've had my puppy for a couple days and have to leave her alone during the day while at work. I've tortured myself by setting up a webcam so I can see her while i'm at work and she is crying/yelping/barking almost every time i look at it. I have her in an exercise pen while i'm away with her bed and toys. I left the radio on with a noisemaker.

She's just over 8 weeks old. Is this normal? Will she get used to being alone? Is there anything you would suggest to get her used to being alone? Are there any tricks to keep her from crying once I do have to leave her?

I am able to visit her during my lunch and take her out but she will be alone for around 4 hours at a time.

I live in an apartment and I am worried people are going to complain.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 01-11-2010, 05:12 PM   #2
22CreessGah

I've had my puppy for a couple days and have to leave her alone during the day while at work. I've tortured myself by setting up a webcam so I can see her while i'm at work and she is crying/yelping/barking almost every time i look at it. I have her in an exercise pen while i'm away with her bed and toys. I left the radio on with a noisemaker.

She's just over 8 weeks old. Is this normal? Will she get used to being alone? Is there anything you would suggest to get her used to being alone? Are there any tricks to keep her from crying once I do have to leave her?

I am able to visit her during my lunch and take her out but she will be alone for around 4 hours at a time.

I live in an apartment and I am worried people are going to complain.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Oh my, you set up a webcam? That is torture (for you)! Although I've considered doing the same thing before..

She will get over it. She just got taken away from her mom/litter (I assume) so everything is new and weird. Piper screamed for a good week when I first brought her home; it was hard, but she eventually got over herself. You sound like you're doing everything right though. You could try giving her a stuffed Kong if you haven't yet. There's a topic on the Health forum with recipes for them

Old 01-11-2010, 05:33 PM   #3
HcMkOKiz

Sometimes people recommend plushie toys that have a battery-powered device inside them mimicking a beating heart. I think you can find them (or ask about them) at most pet stores. Might help soothe some puppies by making them feel like they're resting with another dog, like they would be with their litter/mom.

Must be hard to watch her so upset! Try to tucker her out as best you can before you leave her, so that she'll just want to nap when you're gone. Lots of playing in the yard, or around the house.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:30 PM   #4
Friend_Joe

She will be fine in a few weeks, once she gets used to the routine and how things work. In the meantime, I would keep the TV on... maybe increase the volume a little to help drown her out, and I'd also go ahead and get her in a crate. The one thing that I found that helped the most with stopping them from whining, was to put them in a crate with a shirt that smells like you, and then cover it with a blanket, so it is dark inside the crate and they can't see out... It gives them that feeling of being in a den, and will help stop the whining. Trust me, I was amazed how quickly Bella stopped whining once covered, as opposed to leaving her uncovered. Worked like a charm.

Reply to Thread New Thread