LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 01-11-2010, 02:32 PM   #1
royarnekara

We also do a adoption event every year called "Bark In The Park". This year it was very mellow. Until this DUMB BYB showed up with her tiny car full of great danes. She came to a mind you HUMANE SOCIETY ADOPTION EVENT in hopes of finding homes for her dogs. This is how this all went down.

Small car pulls up with 5-6 GREAT DANES in the car it has for sale signs all over the car that she has great Danes for sale.

This lady then OPENS her car door and lets all of these dogs out of the car no leash or anything with dogs all over the place her 5-6 dogs go flying everywhere over top of people and other dogs. It was complete chaos. This lady I think was missing a brain to even think that was a good idea. Two of her dogs attempted to go after one of our adoptable dogs as soon as they were released out of the car.
WOW! I doubt I would have been able to refrain from smacking the BYB.

Old 10-31-2010, 04:35 AM   #2
mikaelluioy

Default If you have a DA dog, please don't bring it to a dog event and/or dog park (Rant)
Today one of the events that was going on was at a dog park. But all the dogs at the event were on leash and those that weren't leashed up their dogs when the event began. Well about 15 minutes into the event this guy came in with his Bull Terrier and unleashed him. Only dog that was offleash from what I could tell. He continuously disrupted the event. He picked a fight with almost every dog there, getting into a serious one with one of the contestants. Owner wasn't even paying attention until the fight was broke up. He snapped at my dog twice. The excuse for the dogs behavior. Oh hey's just playing. I don't think so, and we left early because of this dog. Everyone was being very respectful to those participating in the event but this one owner who had a dog that didn't belong in a dog park to begin with.

I really wish they hadn't held the event inside the dog park, I hate dog parks. Normally these events are held outside the dog park. But still if you have a dog that doesn't get on with other dogs and fights with other dogs. Don't set your dog up for failure by bringing your dog into a situation where he could get hurt or other dogs could get hurt.

Thats really all I have to say about this.

Old 10-31-2010, 04:56 AM   #3
GoodLover

A lot of people think sabrina is da because she gets really hyper when she sees another dog and she does a howl bark and it scares some people,she calms down when i tell her to but is there anyway I can train her out of that??

Old 10-31-2010, 05:07 AM   #4
mikaelluioy

I wanted to add as a disclaimer so to speak. This thread is not directed at anybody on here. I know most if not all of you would not put a DA dog in a situation where the DA would be an issue. I know we are a community here of responsible dog owners. It just really scared me after the big fight and the owner wouldn't even leash the dog until the event was over. There was another DA dog there, but they owner took him and left before the contest ever started.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:24 AM   #5
skupaemauto

People are dumb.

When we brought Notch to be neutered, I told the local Humane Society that he was DA ahead of time and they said they'd bring him in first. Well, we got there and stood in line. It was hot out and Notch was getting excited with all the dogs around. Stan was holding him as close to him as he could. The lady behind us kept letting her little dog get right into Notch's butt. I told the lady, "He doesn't like other dogs." She told me, "It's all right. She just wants to be friends." I went inside and told the Humane Society that Notch was starting to get overheated and that people weren't listening. So, they said, "Oh yeah, bring him in right away." So luckily, we went in, and it was insane. I thought I don't care if her dog is trying to be friends, mine is not.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:54 AM   #6
illignocearia

K I'm just alittle lost on the topic here what is "DA"?

Old 10-31-2010, 07:58 AM   #7
Goalseexere

dog aggressive.HA human aggressive

Old 10-31-2010, 01:08 PM   #8
22CreessGah

We just had our annual "Bark in the Park" event last weekend and holy crap, it was like.. DA/HA/intact male fest! I don't have a problem with people having intact males if they're responsible about it, but this was a little overboard, especially at an event promoting one of our local humane societies.

There was a group of people there with the hippo style Am. Bullies (poor dogs could barely walk they were so fat and low to the ground), all intact males, all apparently DA, and they just stood around in a circle at one point, letting their dogs snarl and try to kill each other.. with kids around watching. GREAT image for the "Pit Bull" breed (since we all know that everyone lumps these dogs into one category).

Then there was a Lab who was totally out of control. Lunging at EVERYTHING that walked by, human or dog. Owner just stood in front of a booth for at least 15min, doing nothing (not even correcting the dog). She was finally asked to leave.. that dog was a damn time bomb.

So many people with their little yappy dogs let them run up on Wilson (on their flexi leads ).. poor Wilson was caught off guard so many times. Of course, the owners of the little dogs would just laugh at their dog "beating up the Pit Bull" WTF?! Thank god Wilson is super friendly and was fine, but good lord I wanted to kill people by the end of the event.

Oh - then the lady who let her Weimeraner pup OFF leash (this was a leashed event with at least 1000+ people/dogs) because "he's doing SO well at obedience, watch how good his recall is!".. yeah.. pup went for a tour of the facility (which borders a very busy road), owner running behind him laughing that "well, he proved me wrong!"

I'm seriously reconsidering going next year, because there were times when it was just out of control. Last year it wasn't bad, but this year there were so many irresponsible dog owners, and dogs that should NOT have been there.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:27 PM   #9
royarnekara

Then there was a Lab who was totally out of control. Lunging at EVERYTHING that walked by, human or dog. Owner just stood in front of a booth for at least 15min, doing nothing (not even correcting the dog). She was finally asked to leave.. that dog was a damn time bomb.

Thats what should have happened at the event SBT went to. Someone with the event staff should have asked the people to either leash their dog or leave. Hell, I would have done it myself! "Hey, buddy, your dog is disruptive and could spark a fight. Please leash it or leave befoer someone or some dog gets hurt!"

So many people with their little yappy dogs let them run up on Wilson (on their flexi leads ).. poor Wilson was caught off guard so many times. Of course, the owners of the little dogs would just laugh at their dog "beating up the Pit Bull" WTF?! Thank god Wilson is super friendly and was fine, but good lord I wanted to kill people by the end of the event.

Let me EVER see a small yappy dog come harass my dog and the owners laugh about how fluffy-wuffy-kins is beating up the Pit Bull. I'll be laughing when I punt the lil monster and shout "Annnnd the kick isssss...GOOOD!" and then do the crowd goes wild football thing.
These stories are why I don't go to dog events. I am tempted to go to the ones my trainer does because she has very firm rules and she has events for different breeds and sizes. For example, she has one for the dog friendly bullies and another for the smaller and more delicate dogs. but then again, I think I'll just stick to taking my furry pals to friends houses.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:57 PM   #10
Affiltavajefe

not meaning to tread on anyones toes but to me this thread sums up all whats wrong with the breed today.....what the title really means is only bring dogs that are poor examples of the breed to dog shows

while i accept not all good dogs ARE dog aggressive i dont accept all dogs that are dog aggressive are BAD dogs !.....

Old 10-31-2010, 02:10 PM   #11
22CreessGah

These stories are why I don't go to dog events. I am tempted to go to the ones my trainer does because she has very firm rules and she has events for different breeds and sizes. For example, she has one for the dog friendly bullies and another for the smaller and more delicate dogs. but then again, I think I'll just stick to taking my furry pals to friends houses.
Oh trust me, I wanted to punt the little dogs, but I probably would've been arrested (there were police there since there were so many people) LOL. The first time it happened, I, and Wilson were totally caught off guard, so I wasn't able to say anything, but after that, I did make little comments to the owners, trying not to come off as a total bitch (since people tend to respond better to nice people).

not meaning to tread on anyones toes but to me this thread sums up all whats wrong with the breed today.....what the title really means is only bring dogs that are poor examples of the breed to dog shows

while i accept not all good dogs ARE dog aggressive i dont accept all dogs that are dog aggressive are BAD dogs !.....
The events SBT & I went to were not "Bully" specific events. In fact, I did go to "Bring on the Bulls" this year, and there were actually less instances of DA or issues in general, because people for the most part weren't being stupid.

I don't think DA dogs are bad dogs at all. But do I think that people should bring DA/anti social dogs to an event where there are hundreds of dogs around that is not a breed specific show/event? No. It's just asking for problems. You have to protect your dog in a situation like that, because the majority of the people at these events are stupid and let their dogs run 8ft. out on their flexi lead up to ANY dog. So DA dogs do NOT fair well in a situation like that.. shoot, MANY dogs (and when I say "dogs", I mean dogs, not just Pit Bulls), DA or not, don't do well in that situation! But we all know that if a Bully breed goes after another breed, it'll get the blame.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:46 PM   #12
ZanazaKar

that would have made me so mad...I hate people like that, I hate HATE HATE people that even bring there DA or dominant dogs into petsmart when I am there (Goren has one issue with dogs...he does not like Dominant dogs, and he HATES when they stare him down, he gets reactive then, well he steps up to the challenge really I would say) I mean they are like "lalala my dog is perfect its on a flexi leash roaming around pooping and marking everything" and then Goren grow/barks at it because its stareing him down...well yea I would hate getting stared down too. I never go to dog events because of that, to many idiots, I will stick to my walking around the town festivals (gotta love a small town hehe, main street is in walking distance of my house) and going to OB class at petsmart (now that Goren is done Abby will be next when I get the cash >.

Old 10-31-2010, 04:45 PM   #13
mikaelluioy

Not not what I am saying at all. I have known many a DA dog that was a wonderful dog with People. But they just don't need to be around other dogs, offleash at a leashed event. The park was designated for 2 hours to this event. If they really wanted their dog to "Play". The event wasn't going to last all day. Though that dog didn't belong offleash in a dog park at all.

---------- Post added at 09:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 AM ----------

Oh trust me, I wanted to punt the little dogs, but I probably would've been arrested (there were police there since there were so many people) LOL. The first time it happened, I, and Wilson were totally caught off guard, so I wasn't able to say anything, but after that, I did make little comments to the owners, trying not to come off as a total bitch (since people tend to respond better to nice people).

The events SBT & I went to were not "Bully" specific events. In fact, I did go to "Bring on the Bulls" this year, and there were actually less instances of DA or issues in general, because people for the most part weren't being stupid.

I don't think DA dogs are bad dogs at all. But do I think that people should bring DA/anti social dogs to an event where there are hundreds of dogs around that is not a breed specific show/event? No. It's just asking for problems. You have to protect your dog in a situation like that, because the majority of the people at these events are stupid and let their dogs run 8ft. out on their flexi lead up to ANY dog. So DA dogs do NOT fair well in a situation like that.. shoot, MANY dogs (and when I say "dogs", I mean dogs, not just Pit Bulls), DA or not, don't do well in that situation! But we all know that if a Bully breed goes after another breed, it'll get the blame.
Exactly. If this dog had gotten into a fight with any of these dogs. Many of them much smaller than him. He would have been the one in trouble whether he started the fight or not. But it would also have added to the negative stigma of the breed. This was not a Bully specific event, and many of these people can be very fickle about their feelings on bully breeds. Where I understand dog behavior and I can see a fight coming before it starts, many people can't and then wonder why their dog got in a fight.
I will say though I was very impressed with the behavior of all the contestants. There were no snappy or yappy dogs. All were very well behaved, large and small.

Everyone was very welcoming and forgiving of this dog, until the big fight. Then a lot of people left, not just us, left. Because the owner wouldn't control his dog. The dog was very much DA. There was no being friendly to it at all. His whole body language changed from the time he entered the fence. He went from being relaxed and very well mannered to nervous, anxious, and seemed to fight/scuffle with every dog he came in contact with. Except only one real fight. Now maybe this dog wasn't truely DA. Maybe he was nervous and reactive. But still the owner should have seen his dog was in some sort of distress and removed him from the situation.

I wasn't going to stand there and watch someone add to the negative Stigmatism of the breed. Especially since we had a wonderful APBT contestant that was a real favorite with the crowd. And then guy comes in.
If he wasn't DA, he was very uncomfortable being in the situation that he was in. Which comes back to the whole point, he set his dog up for failure by putting him in this type of situation.

---------- Post added at 09:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 AM ----------

We just had our annual "Bark in the Park" event last weekend and holy crap, it was like.. DA/HA/intact male fest! I don't have a problem with people having intact males if they're responsible about it, but this was a little overboard, especially at an event promoting one of our local humane societies.

There was a group of people there with the hippo style Am. Bullies (poor dogs could barely walk they were so fat and low to the ground), all intact males, all apparently DA, and they just stood around in a circle at one point, letting their dogs snarl and try to kill each other.. with kids around watching. GREAT image for the "Pit Bull" breed (since we all know that everyone lumps these dogs into one category).

Oh - then the lady who let her Weimeraner pup OFF leash (this was a leashed event with at least 1000+ people/dogs) because "he's doing SO well at obedience, watch how good his recall is!".. yeah.. pup went for a tour of the facility (which borders a very busy road), owner running behind him laughing that "well, he proved me wrong!"

I'm seriously reconsidering going next year, because there were times when it was just out of control. Last year it wasn't bad, but this year there were so many irresponsible dog owners, and dogs that should NOT have been there.
Thankfully that only happened once and it was when a kid was holding on to their dog. Mom finally came and took the dog. I again was very impressed with the behavior of most of the dogs there. Large, Medium, and small. But it bothered me to see a dog very definately set up to fail.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:53 PM   #14
SodeSceriobia

I had an issue once waiting in line for a low cost shot clinic with my DA lab. The lady behind me was just letting her dog walk up to me (I had Indy sitting between my legs so I could keep her head away as she HAS attacked a dog) and no matter how I explained that "my dog doesn't like other dogs" "My dog WILL attack other dogs" she wouldn't keep her dog from walking up to my lab. She just said "she doesn't seem mean" well ya lady I practically have her in a head lock backed up against a fence between my legs (as shes squirming to get away) to keep her from being able to go after your rat. Ive never gone back there to say the least. I just cant believe people are that stupid. I mean is it really that rare to have a little common sence now? Even as a kid I knew to keep my dog away from dogs I didnt know..

Its just amazing That people are that stupid sometimes. They must have to practice to be so stupid, rude, and inconsiderate all at once.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:35 PM   #15
georgshult

We also do a adoption event every year called "Bark In The Park". This year it was very mellow. Until this DUMB BYB showed up with her tiny car full of great danes. She came to a mind you HUMANE SOCIETY ADOPTION EVENT in hopes of finding homes for her dogs. This is how this all went down.

Small car pulls up with 5-6 GREAT DANES in the car it has for sale signs all over the car that she has great Danes for sale.

This lady then OPENS her car door and lets all of these dogs out of the car no leash or anything with dogs all over the place her 5-6 dogs go flying everywhere over top of people and other dogs. It was complete chaos. This lady I think was missing a brain to even think that was a good idea. Two of her dogs attempted to go after one of our adoptable dogs as soon as they were released out of the car.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:51 AM   #16
QbCp7LaZ

I'm with Mr Clueless on this. I don't know why anyone would be attending this sort of thing, let alone coming back and complaining about it. Any situation where you don't have total control should be avoided. That means if you will expect to encounter loose dogs because you are in an off lead area... don't go. If you know your dogs are a little short fused with other dogs, avoid large gatherings of dogs. It is to be expected that other people may bring their dogs to see yours and if there is so much going on that you may be caught offguard, you have really let your dog and the whole side down.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:13 AM   #17
ArrereGarhync

No kidding. For Petes Sake, if you have a DA APBT keep it at home and def not around other dogs off leash OR on leash. MORONS.

Reply to Thread New Thread