LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 10-22-2010, 05:30 PM   #1
dayclaccikere

Default man it's cold outside!
Today marked the first real frost we've had. Burr, frost in October! Gotta love Michigan.

Lately it's been so cold at night that I haven't been walking Dylan. He seems alright with that as he isn't really very high energy, except when he gets a case of the zoomies!

So, wondering, what do you guys do when it's too cold, and there's feet upon feet of snow outside so walking or biking is out of the question, how do you exercise/entertain your dogs? Dylan seems alright now but he loves to run and play fetch and when there's four feet of snow outside, I think that's impossible! lol

Old 10-22-2010, 05:54 PM   #2
xquFzpNw

We got our first frost here a couple weeks ago. When it's too cold outside and there is a ton of snow, it really depends on what we do. We do play tug and stuff like that in the house, and for my dogs, just getting outside to potty in the snow can be a bit of exercise. Last year it was deeper than they were tall, lol. We are building a treadmill this year, though, hopefully it will be done soon, we just gotta get some carpet for it now

Old 10-22-2010, 06:06 PM   #3
Kragh

we don't get much in the way of frost... for us this time of year a cold front is 60 at night and 89 or 90 in the afternoon....

Old 10-22-2010, 06:38 PM   #4
BrainTop

Four feet of snow doesn't stop me. :P All it means is boots for the dog (because some people are stupid and put salt down) and we go.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:00 PM   #5
MortgFinsJohnQ

I've been walking earlier in the day, like around 5.

When it snows, I just let them tear ass around the yard until Lucy goes and sits by the door shivering and looking pathetic.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:22 PM   #6
ZanazaKar

we got a small frost a few weeks ago and one this morning, I walk mid day in winter...not hard when you work night shift though hehe for people that work in the day I would say when the sun is out, either before or after work, don't wait till after dinner or the sun could be down

Old 10-23-2010, 02:14 AM   #7
Abaronos

I still let em go outside. Just give them a hoodie or sweater & coat. They'll let you know when they're too cold.

Old 10-23-2010, 02:38 AM   #8
kranfid

I live in california 70 degrees is cold to me

Old 10-23-2010, 02:22 PM   #9
Carol

I throw his hoodie on him and walk anyways. It's not fun but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Old 10-23-2010, 02:58 PM   #10
Catieliecutty

I was just thinking yesterday that I have to break out Veronica's sweaters. We went for a walk and I could tell she was chilly.

we're lucky in that we have a big back yard; so when we get allot of snow, my husband uses the snow blower to make race track paths across the yard for Veronica. We still bundle up and walk (although not as much as in the nicer weather; and I wish I could get her used to boots because I do get concerned about the salt) - mostly we stay home and play snow games in the back yard.

Old 10-23-2010, 03:22 PM   #11
RCQDnMp5

I love Veronica!

Old 10-23-2010, 05:11 PM   #12
zenihan

grr i miss the snow.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:42 PM   #13
Carol

I was just thinking yesterday that I have to break out Veronica's sweaters. We went for a walk and I could tell she was chilly.

we're lucky in that we have a big back yard; so when we get allot of snow, my husband uses the snow blower to make race track paths across the yard for Veronica. We still bundle up and walk (although not as much as in the nicer weather; and I wish I could get her used to boots because I do get concerned about the salt) - mostly we stay home and play snow games in the back yard.

YouTube - snow zoomies
OMG HOW CUTE! I love the sweater. Even more than the sweater, I love when they tuck their butts like that and freak out. Socrates just had a FIT at the sound of Veronica's bark....and your voice.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:46 PM   #14
MortgFinsJohnQ

@ Miss V.

I love how when it gets a little chilly, the damn dogs act like you're torturing them. But get a substantial amount of snow on the ground, and they go nuts and act like it's the best thing ever, until it's time to shiver and look pathetic again so they can go inside.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:38 PM   #15
arrismVam

my dog love snow!! he will play in it for hours if he could he gets tired fast.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:15 PM   #16
HcMkOKiz

I live in Canada and you really don't have a choice here. We're usually 4 feet deep by late January.

Throw the boots on if the salt/bitter icyness bothers the dog's feet, throw on a jacket/blanket/sweater if they need it (my standard poodle is pretty woolly and does much better in winter than summer. She only gets a jacket if it's like -25 C) and get walking.

If the streets haven't been plowed yet, just think of it this way, all that slipping, bounding, and trudging through deep snow will tire them out a hell of a lot faster than just walking on pavement.

If you really can't stand it, throw a ball up the stairs for a while to tire them out, or get members of the household to call the dog back and forth through the house/apartment (also helps work on recall). And if the dog isn't getting as much exercise in the cold, have them work for their food by hiding it in various places around the house.

Old 10-24-2010, 04:09 AM   #17
shenacatro

We play in the winter a bit more than in the summer The egge slides all of the place, it takes Marco more effort to charge through the snow for the flirtpole and as long as its over 35 or so we go for a walk. This winter weight pulling will begin Marco won't go out after it rains but he'll walk in the snow all day.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:51 PM   #18
everlastinge

I don't let snow or cold deter me from walking him. My dog likes the snow.

Reply to Thread New Thread