LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 10-13-2010, 11:01 PM   #1
Affiltavajefe

My friend hunts hogs and his male catch dog is getting older so he decide he needed some pups from him. Well the pups are 10 months old now and 2 of the dogs would not catch so he is giving them away. One of my other friends got one of these dogs cause he is very pretty but there is a problem. The hog hunter doesnt spend much time with his dogs unless he is hunting or feeding them and if they wont do what he wants he culls them. His idea is no training they do it naturally or they are culls. The dog that my other friend got is very skittish he will not come to you unless you have a treat and if you try to pet him he runs. I know he hasnt been beat or anything just hasnt been around people. Can this nervousness be over come and how can we go about it cause if we cant get the dog past this he may be put down. Also the dog has shown no signs of aggression just very skittish i would appreciate all oppinions and suggestions thank you.
the first thing you need to do is get your own mind in order,treat it as a challenge.....i used to love the challenge of bringing a dog out of his shell its a rewarding experience.
if you dont treat it as a challenge you yourself will sooner or later show frustration and anxiety and this will quickly put the dog back even more.....try just sitting around with the dog first of all....dont have direct contact or try to call him or pet him,just spend time around him at ease show him there is no pressure on him to do anything.....gradually his inquisitive nature will lead him to come explore you....when he does this you are halfway there. best of luck.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:31 PM   #2
Roorseprate

My 2nd rescue Mahoney is an extremely skittish dog. Apparently, she was not around very many people and having obviously suffered some traumatic experience at a mean persons hands, she was pretty fearful of EVERYTHING when I got her 2 months ago. But she has gotten soooooo much better. I have friends over a lot that she has gotten bonded with (though she might still bark a little when they first come in, if at all anymore). Outside walking in the yard can be another story, she can hear a car or truck on the backstreet and wig out, or one day she flipped because it was windy....hell, she sat and barked at the smoke coming off the stick of incense one night. And loud sounds freak her out, whether its me throwing the pans into the cabinets or one of the times I am pissed about something and ranting and yelling at myself through the house. It takes some work to get a scared dog past its fears. I learned fast that babying and coddling them when they are scared encourages them to be more scared of what scared them in the first place. You just have to ignore it and sometimes I will say "Oh Mahoney, stop that. Aint nothing wrong you big baby" and she is fine. Putting a dog down for fear issues is nonsense in my opinion. If a dog can be rehabilitated from its fears, its worth putting the work in. I just love my sweet angel. She is a work in progress but I am hoping that whatever she suffered in her first 4 months of life, that she can one day get past it and move on...she is still very young and the vet said that plays in her favor. I just have to give her lots of love, support and be there for her.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:32 PM   #3
Prosocorneliay

Default skittish dog
My friend hunts hogs and his male catch dog is getting older so he decide he needed some pups from him. Well the pups are 10 months old now and 2 of the dogs would not catch so he is giving them away. One of my other friends got one of these dogs cause he is very pretty but there is a problem. The hog hunter doesnt spend much time with his dogs unless he is hunting or feeding them and if they wont do what he wants he culls them. His idea is no training they do it naturally or they are culls. The dog that my other friend got is very skittish he will not come to you unless you have a treat and if you try to pet him he runs. I know he hasnt been beat or anything just hasnt been around people. Can this nervousness be over come and how can we go about it cause if we cant get the dog past this he may be put down. Also the dog has shown no signs of aggression just very skittish i would appreciate all oppinions and suggestions thank you.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:17 PM   #4
RilmAlime67

Yes.I would start with square one.You will need to build up trust with the pup. Try feeding the pup ALL of his food by hand and not from a bowl.With a 6ft leash,tether it to the pups collar and around your waist,walk him around the house with you all day,and reward any positive behaviours (coming to you,not showing fear,being calm,etc) IGNORE any fearful and unacceptable behaviours.Correcting them will produce FEAR.If it is dangerous behaviour,pop the leash to get his attention,but don't yell at him,or handle him.If it is an escalative situation,walk away with him and keep his focus on YOU.As he improves, gradually expand the circle of new experiances.
Training,grooming,feeding,play and walking the dog build 'trust' between a dog and handler.Keep it calm,positive,consistant and pateint...he should do ok.

Reply to Thread New Thread