LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 09-29-2010, 08:07 PM   #1
Konservir

Default Is this wrong?
Well since I don't have any kids and star is with me constantly, I guess I elevate him to a human like he is my kid. I know you are supposed to be leader of the pack or so they say, and I know their emotions are different but I fell in love with him and he seems to love me unconditionally even though it's probably more of a dependency thing. I guess he is my kid, even though around little little kids Im not sure what to say or do

Old 09-29-2010, 08:12 PM   #2
Sillaycheg

As long as you retain your leadership role (e.g., Star doesn't take over control of your household and life), I see nothing wrong with considering him a four-legged member of your family.

It's o.k. to love him, just keep in mind that he is a dog You set the rules and boundaries, and Star (like a two legged kid), is to follow those.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:14 PM   #3
Gerribase

Well I think there's a difference between what you are describing and actually treating the dog like a human. As long as you do realize that he is in fact a dog and that human life should come before his and you are giving him a structured balanced life for a dog all is well. It seems like you know the difference and know they don't have our emotions and all that so I don't think there's anything wrong with how you feel.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:55 PM   #4
PolPitasc

I agree that if you know that your dog is a dog and still fill his dog needs treating him like family isnt a bad thing. I consider my dog my 'second son' (and half the time I call him the twin my son didnt get) but just like my 2 legged son my 4 legged one has rules and boundries that must be followed. They are also not the same rules, as dogs a human kids require different sets of rules (though some are the same) to meet their physical and emotional needs.

So I think as long as your in control, you run your house not your dog, then whats wrong with loving them like family?

Old 09-29-2010, 11:01 PM   #5
CAxrrAYN

I have a bit of a problem with considering my dogs as children. Sure, I love them, but a dog is a dog is a dog...

Old 09-29-2010, 11:03 PM   #6
replicamuse

Keep in mind that this is a strong minded breed of dog and not nearly as dumb as they lead us to believe.
I have found that you can love them endlessly and spoil them pretty well as long as you are consistent and reasonable with your rules.
If it is NOT ok to be on the couch today, then it should NOT be ok tomorrow either.
If the dog has to sit to get a treat, then he must sit EVERY time he is treated.
If you want to go out the door first every time, then he can NEVER go out the door first.
Things like that can make life soooo much easier.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:05 PM   #7
CAxrrAYN

Old 09-30-2010, 12:26 AM   #8
IronpumpedLady

My dogs are a part of my family. I don't have kids. I love my dogs but I know they are dogs. They have "feelings" but dog feelings. They act like animals because they are
When they die I cry. And I like most dogs more then most humans.
But to treat a dog like a human is not fair to the dog in my opinion.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:48 AM   #9
majestictwelve

My dogs are a part of my family. I don't have kids. I love my dogs but I know they are dogs. They have "feelings" but dog feelings. They act like animals because they are
Good post.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:08 AM   #10
Konservir

I can't get him to stop pulling or come back when I call him. I guess I need to start bring treats on his walks so I can try to get him to listen. I pull him back to where he is being pulled up in the air. I guess I'm not proving I'm alpha male very well.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:11 AM   #11
gDGwm8BC

if you have no problems with how he is currently, then who cares.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:16 AM   #12
Konservir

I do need him to stop pulling. I may be strong as well as heavy but he is getting strong too

Old 09-30-2010, 01:20 AM   #13
Sillaycheg

For some dogs, the 'make like a tree' method works:

Star starts pulling, you stop walking. Resume walk, Star tries to pull again, you stop again. I believe direction changes can be helfpul too.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:27 AM   #14
Adimondin

I absolutely agree.

What I like best about dogs...is that they are not human. There are plenty of humans I could choose to hang out with if that is what I wanted...and if I wanted children...I would have had them.

But I do treat my dogs well, and some would probably say I spoil them...

I guess I have a "separate but equal" philospophy...except that I'm the boss.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:30 AM   #15
VZF74G0M

hell i wish i could get my kids to act like my dogs i wouldnt be so stressed

i do call my dogs my kids though there my furry 4 leged kids but i treat them like dogs

Old 09-30-2010, 01:32 AM   #16
ftpsoft

I actually had a minor argument at work about this very thing. I had a co worker saying that she had issues with me leaving work one day because of something with one of my dogs. I don't have kids and my dogs are like my kids however I know they are dogs. But if something happens to them, much like a parent would leave work if something happened to their kids, I'm going to take care of them as much as possible. Who else do they have you know?

Old 09-30-2010, 01:44 AM   #17
Konservir

had him down at petco and my biological mom took over the leash so I could carry my stuff out he actually drug her. She weights 230 pounds. She lost traction

---------- Post added at 06:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

had him down at petco and my biological mom took over the leash so I could carry my stuff out he actually drug her. She weights 230 pounds. She lost traction. She was actually sliding

Old 09-30-2010, 01:47 AM   #18
VZF74G0M

I actually had a minor argument at work about this very thing. I had a co worker saying that she had issues with me leaving work one day because of something with one of my dogs. I don't have kids and my dogs are like my kids however I know they are dogs. But if something happens to them, much like a parent would leave work if something happened to their kids, I'm going to take care of them as much as possible. Who else do they have you know?
to bad some co workers don't mind there own business

Old 09-30-2010, 02:03 AM   #19
daguy

well, we do treat Peanut like he is our kid. We are mid 20s and have chosen not to have children at this time (later we want them just the situation isn't right yet for us) so we do treat Peanut like a child BUT just like a child he does have rules and he knows them.
I personally feel that it is okay to treat them as children (lets face it they are dependents too they depend on us for everything that relates to their care) but if you treat them as children you have to take the role of a parent and set boundries and stick to them but you have to tweak it so it relates to a dog and still know your furry child is still a dog and has to be treated as such because no matter what they are different.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:23 AM   #20
IronpumpedLady

Flatbedder, What kind of collar and leash do you use?

Reply to Thread New Thread