LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 02-09-2010, 09:48 PM   #1
ErubTiereedig

Default I rescued a human today
I got this in an email, and thought it was wonderful.... thought I would share it with you guys. Hope it makes you smile, like it did me. However, it also brought tears to my eyes, because it made me think of Sheaba, Maxx, Titus, Zoey, Bella, Cooper, and of course, the good cat, Pokie... and the evil one, Cross.

I Rescued A Human Today

By: PetPlace Dog Lover

See Larger Image
I Rescued A Human Today

Author:Janine Allen CPDT

I rescued a human today.

Her eyes met mine as she walked down the corridor peering apprehensively into the kennels. I felt her need instantly and knew I had to help her. I wagged my tail, not too exuberantly, so she wouldn't be afraid.

As she stopped at my kennel I blocked her view from a little accident I had in the back of my cage. I didn't want her to know that I hadn't been walked today. Sometimes the shelter keepers get too busy and I didn't want her to think poorly of them.

As she read my kennel card I hoped that she wouldn't feel sad about my past. I only have the future to look forward to and want to make a difference in someone's life. She got down on her knees and made little kissy sounds at me.

I shoved my shoulder and side of my head up against the bars to comfort her.

Gentle fingertips caressed my neck; she was desperate for companionship. A tear fell down her cheek and I raised my paw to assure her that all would be well.

Soon my kennel door opened and her smile was so bright that I instantly jumped into her arms. I would promise to keep her safe. I would promise to always be by her side. I would promise to do everything I could to see that radiant smile and sparkle in her eyes. I was so fortunate that she came down my corridor. So many more are out there who haven't walked the corridors. So many more to be saved. At least I could save one.

I rescued a human today.

Written by Janine Allen CPDT, Rescue Me Dog's professional dog trainer. Janine's passion is working with people and their dogs. She provides demonstrations for those who have adopted shelter dogs, lends email support to adopted dog owners that need information beyond our Training Support Pages, and aids shelter staff and volunteers in understanding dog behavior to increase their adoptability. Copyright 2009 Rescue Me Dog; Rescue Me Dog Offers Support, Education and Training for People Adopting Animals from Local Shelters | Rescuemedog.org

http://rescuemedog.org/dog-blog/i-re...-janine-allen/

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/i-rescu...ailynewsletter

Old 02-09-2010, 09:52 PM   #2
erroxiainsona

It's one of my favorites.

Thank you, MN.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:54 PM   #3
avaicavum

That is beautiful, MN! Dixie did exactly that when I was grieving over Rocky & Jenny.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:13 PM   #4
JessePex

thanks!

Old 02-09-2010, 10:15 PM   #5
ErubTiereedig

Yeah, when my sister was killed, Mollie was there for me in a way no human could be... she was the only one I would let comfort me. Don't know why, but for some reason, she knew something wasn't right, and she was my rock through all that. Then of course, when Lisa died last year, I had Bella. I can't imagine how I would have gotten through either of those deaths without those dogs. Each different in so many ways, each consoling me in totally different ways.... but each one's special way, worked.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:08 AM   #6
nerkvcbtre

I love it! And how true. The old pound kitty that I got during college (when there was just NO WAY I could have a dog) outlasted boyfriends, moved cross country with me three times, and was the one constant in my life when things were in total upheaval in my early twenties. Many's the night his cold little nose against my chin kept me sane...and my current dog has been the best dog I've had in my life, hands down.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:24 PM   #7
ErubTiereedig

Whenever I read this poem... I am reminded of Maxx..... when I saw him at the Humane Society, he never barked at me. All the other dogs were barking like crazy, but he never did. He wagged his tail, and when I went to his kennel, he licked my fingers. Mind you, once I got him home, he would bark at everyone that came over, but he would never let anyone get close to him. He was a "bark and run" dog. When I read this poem, I am reminded of how he never barked at me, and how blessed I was to have him in my life for 11 years. He truly did save a human that day, and like you Twinkie's mom.... he saw me through many moves, and many changes in my life, but he was there through it all.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:54 PM   #8
AdobeCreativeSuite

Oh mine DEFINITELY rescued me! My health has always been bad but these last few years its gotten worse and Im pretty sick. And that causes some serious depression. Especially around the holidays cause my parents died in 2007 and I moved back into my childhood when I got it out of probate court. (Nov 2008). Twice now I have had to go through holidays, as well as their birthdays and death anniversaries. Its been terribly painful. The Dr's had pushed me to get a pet to help with my health symptoms and depression. But I got my first pup June 10. My mum's bday was coming on the 23rd which is the anniversary of my dads death too. Then I rescued my second last month. Since they came into my life, I might still be sick and have a lot of down times...but I am finally have some good times too. I love watching Paddy play, I love how Mahoney cuddles all night until she has wallowed the blanket away from me...leaving me cold. Watching them play a couple weeks ago made me realize I had finally had 2 good reasons to stick around and fight for my life. I may have rescued them but they rescued me too. I might be broke, sick and look a mess most the time...but they love me as I am and I will always give them the best life I can to show them how much I appreciate them coming into my life.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:02 PM   #9
TagBahthuff

Awww...super cute.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:06 PM   #10
ErubTiereedig

Great post Nightshade... to you, and if you ever need to chat, I'm always around. Hang in there... I know when my sister was killed, I didn't know how I would get through it, but Mollie never left my side. Then my best friend died suddenly last year, exactly 2 years and 2 months after my sister. We were best friends for 27 years, I've had her in my life my whole adult life, so I don't know how to have an "adult life" without her in it. Then I lost Maxx on July 4th this year... and Cooper, the foster, was magically, suddenly in my life. He helped give me something else to think of instead of dwelling on the loss of Maxx. It's amazing how comforting, how healing, the magic of a dogs kisses, the feel of their fur, can be... all without ever having to speak a word. If you ever read the book Marley & Me, there's a part in the book, where Marley is the only one that can comfort the lady in the book. No human words comfort her, but Marley's head in her lap brings her more comfort than any words ever could. I know that feeling, I know that it is more true than anyone knows, because I've lived it. With the losses I've had the last 3 years, the dogs have brought me more comfort and peace, than any one else ever could. I cannot imagine my life without my dogs in it. And I know that my dogs will be in Heaven when I get there.... dogs will be there long before humans are.... the deserve it more than we do. Dogs don't know how to hold grudges, be biased, or mean spirited... dogs, unlike humans, have unconditional love... humans could only hope to be so lucky.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:35 AM   #11
AdobeCreativeSuite

Thanks Nana...when my parents died, I lost my home and was homeless for the darn near 2 tooks years it took to get back (my adopted dads bio-kids was fighting me for my mothers home and a trust fund, so it was in probate for forever). Actually my dad threw me out when my mum died and he had one of my cats put to sleep and couldnt catch the other so he let her run off, and she was a sickly cat as it was...things he did to hurt me. He stole every thing I had, money..whatever. He rewrote the will, leaving me out and giving everything to his REAL kids. But it didnt get signed and I got everything. And during ALL this chaos, I lost family and friends as well. Ive nearly died several times during all this. The apartment I was staying at (it was part of a program for the homeless disabled/sick and you stayed at this CRUMMIEST place on earth and it was considered a homeless shelter - but Im not complaining, at least I had somewhere to stay that was semi-safe...despite being surrounded by crack houses) didnt let us have pets. But this stray sickly kitten who was born when I moved in adopted me and I took care of her but she died...on my mum's bday, the first bday since she had died. I met a friend who lived up the road from me at a club during that time and we became bestest of friends, and he died this year. I am unhappy and miserable, I miss my mum more than I could ever explain, she was all I ever had...even if we werent blood related, she was still MY mum and we was best friends. And moving back in my childhood home (which I love) is hard living here alone and she isnt here...well, I personally think she is in a way...I smell her, her cooking/baking, favorite scents and perfume. Its comforting but rather have HER. Now as sick as I am and only hearing bad news everytime I go to one of my million Dr's, I really didnt think I could make it through another year without her. But I swear, though most my days are still bad and down, my babies have made things better. Chances are they are going to outlive me...but I am living for the now and we 3 are giving each other the best we can with the time we are being given.

Reply to Thread New Thread