LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 09-13-2010, 02:33 PM   #1
Goksiodiffeli

I dont know how active they are, but I know they are constantly calling the others.. and the nieghbor says they are always stalking his cattle! So I assume they are very active.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:36 PM   #2
EnvellFen

Unless your dealing with a decent sized pack of Coyotes I wouldn't stress over it, they will go for weak, easy targets. They wont want to fight for their lives if they are just simply looking for a meal but saying that, I saw a mention of a pup.. that would worry me. Unless you get them setup with a safe area, I would just bring them inside for the night.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:56 PM   #3
Edisesyethisp

I heard the coyotes hear at night, at times, but they've never ventured into our yard. I think they are probably over by the chicken houses. lol.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:49 AM   #4
reachmanxx

We have a lot of coyotes and coy-dogs here and they are brave enough to stalk humans. They stalked my future MIL and her granddaughter while they were in the garden in the spring - Brian was able to shoot one, skin it, and drag the carcass around the property line so we haven't had an issue since.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:30 PM   #5
Goksiodiffeli

Default Bandit got a new home
We decided to move.. we are still helping fix the in laws house, but with everything going on and such, we found a place about 45 minutes out of town into the country.. 25 acres.. (about 7 acres cleared).. None fenced, so we set up chain spots for when its night time and when we are not home.. They each have about 60 feet of chain area.. (is that enough??) I also wanted to ask about coyotes and wild boars.. Will they mess with them on their chain spots?? At night, I can hear about 6-7 coyotes and they sound very close but I have not seen them yet.. but I have heard of people waking up to see wild boars in their fields.. I am a worry bug about things like this.. there is also talk about a bear sighting here.. but I have yet to see it.. will the dogs be ok? or should I put up a fence? right now, we are working on clearing more land and fencing it .. if we can get it done, then we are going to get 3-4 horses.. I am a little nerves because my husbands work will require him to be gone 5 days a week out of town soon so it will be just me and the kids home.. and when its dark here, its dark with alot of noises I am not use to!! lol and police wise, I might has well forget getting help from them here as there is only one officer period!! sigh! but its so beautiful up here.. and my closest neighbor is not in visual distance.. so after I adjust from the city to the country, I think I will love it more.. Ill get pics soon.. there was a fire across the land recently so it looks bad right now.. we are trying to level it out and clear the trees out some, but Ill try to grab a pic or 2 soon..

any suggestions or concerns I should be looking for?

Old 12-09-2010, 04:36 PM   #6
Forexampleee

I'd set up kennels if you are worried about coyotes when you aren't there at night, chainspots when you are home and can help if the dogs get attacked by wild animals or just crate them in the house.

My husband is a truck driver and can be gone for long periods of time. I decided on a guardian breed dog to make me and the kids feel safer. Turns out, he is a wuss and hides behind me if anything is amiss. Then I took in my APBT who actually barks and growls at real threats. Go figure! Now we have Owen and him being a hound means he is kinda like a siren. I figure if anything happend he will wake the neighborhood howling while Rita protects me and Ike hides,lol.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:43 PM   #7
Goksiodiffeli

lol.. 2 nights ago, there was something in the tree lines.. I was outside playing fetch (yes, in the dark).. but the kids were asleep so I had time alone with the dogs.. and whatever it was - was growling at me.. Sattva hid behind me barking.. just making whatever it was more excited.. I am backing up slowly not turning away from it.. lol (Im a puss).. but Bandit took off after it.. We called our neighbor and he came over with a gun, but by then Bandit had it chased off.. now, if I walk the land (day or night) if they are off their chain spots.. sattva stays right by me protective while Bandit goes up about 15 feet inspecting the area.. so whatever it was, it obviously made them uneasy about me on the land.. and in all honesty, I am shocked to see them be so protective.. they both are puds when it comes to things.. any dog can run up on them and they roll over..

Old 12-09-2010, 04:58 PM   #8
Forexampleee

We staged a mock break in/attack one night just to see what would happen. Ike checked out the noises, detected a threat and then tried to hide under my chair which was funny as all hell considering he doesn't actually fit under the chair, Rita stood in front of me barking and growling low in a guarding stance and Owen just started howling fit to wake the dead.

If I were you I might be tempted to get a rifle and learn how to use it. I mean, out in the country with help far away you may need to protect yourself, your kids and your dogs. Especially walking at night through the land and wooded areas. Out on a walk or even in the yard you or the dogs could be attacked and seriously hurt or dead before the neighbor or police could get there. Heaven forbid the neighbor not be home. I'd keep a weapon and a cell phone on me at all times.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:41 PM   #9
Goksiodiffeli

cell phone stays on me.. weapon I am unsure of.. my biggest fear is one of my kids finding it and hurting themselves or the other.. my mother hid hers well growing up but I always found it.. never played with it for some reason, but always found it! (of course she kept the gun in the house and the bullets in the glove box of her car.. ) but doing it that way would do me no good.. i wouldnt have time to get both and get the bullets in the gun!

Old 12-09-2010, 05:44 PM   #10
reachmanxx

A shotgun will do you just fine. How old are your kids? You can educate them and let them know that under NO circumstances should they ever touch the gun.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:18 PM   #11
Goksiodiffeli

their ages are 9,6,4

Old 12-09-2010, 06:29 PM   #12
rassedgesse

I grew up in a home with guns. Plenty of them

I went to the shooting ranges, I learned about the guns, I knew not to ever touch them or I'd have the hide whipped off of me. I've been shooting since I could hold one up and not once did I ever touch one without my parents permission.

Maybe you should start educating them about guns.

My parents kept the shotguns in a gun cabinet that stayed locked, and their pistols either on them or in a safe place.

About the thing growling in the trees.. Might have been a yote, but honestly it was most likely a dog. If it was a yote it would have likely been calling for others not just running it's mouth at you and two dogs alone.

And yes, they will go on chainspots, ESPECIALLY if they smell a bitch in heat.

---------- Post added at 12:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 PM ----------

Also, set up your chain spots so that the younger/weaker dogs are more in the middle. anything wild would have to go through the older dogs first.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:37 PM   #13
unmalryAlalry

I'd recommend kennels or runs for the dogs at night. There's too many critters that roam that I'd prefer my dogs didn't meet, especially being two of them are still pups. Coyotes are cocky little shits and will come investigate the dogs and who knows what else. A rifle or pistol isn't a bad choice with your hubby being gone, but a shotgun would be the best. You have better close range accuracy, and it's just a good deterrent considering if someone broke into your house, there's no mistaking the sound of a shotgun being racked and it's intimidating as all get out.

And congrats on the new place! Wish we could find 25 acres in the country, I'd be in heaven!

Old 12-09-2010, 10:24 PM   #14
reachmanxx

If you have a place to hide the gun then go for it and explain to the 9 and 6 year old that they should never under any circumstances touch a gun. Unless you can trust the 9 year old and teach him/her to learn how to shoot as well.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:38 PM   #15
neguoogleX

Shot guns are great to have in the country, but with kids in the house no matter how firearm savvy they are I have two words trigger lock. I live on a rural community with 2 and 3 acre lots pretty spread out, so there is plenty of wild animals with little fear of humans. I also have chldren so I have my pistol loaded in a pistol safe that only has fiancees, and my thumb print in the biometric lock makes it quick and easy to get to, but still kiddie safe.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:24 AM   #16
Edisesyethisp

Nothing ever messes with my dogs, but I don't know how active your coyotes and all are in Arkansas.

Reply to Thread New Thread