LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 06-23-2010, 03:36 AM   #1
TolleyBoymn

Default question about break sticks
i have a question about using a break stick why is it advised that they are only to be used on pit bulls

Ashley

Old 06-23-2010, 04:16 AM   #2
Scukonah

because other breeds tend to snap more or regrip so you have a greater risk of getting bit. The apbt has a tenancy to hold the grip rather then snap or regrip.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:18 AM   #3
enrisaabsotte

Yes, other breeds are much more likely to redirect, my own GSD would snap at humans when she got into fights... if a breakstick went in her mouth, she'd snap at it. It's just natural for a dog to snap at things in a fight, they're in survival mode and everything can be a threat. Bulldogs were bred NOT to redirect, or be aggressive to people..

Old 06-23-2010, 04:19 AM   #4
VoriEremiagem

DieselPitBull is right.

Here is a little more information.

Responsible Uses of a Breakstick

Old 06-23-2010, 05:09 AM   #5
TolleyBoymn

thank you all for the information i dont have a pit but i love them from afar and try to understand them better. i have visited several sites reading about break sticks and one of the things i read talked about break stix can cause damage to other breeds which sound like it was misinformation and i was spreading that around i dont want to add to the myths lord knows there are to many as it is. thank you for clearing that up

Ashley

Old 06-23-2010, 05:17 AM   #6
Scukonah

thank you all for the information i dont have a pit but i love them from afar and try to understand them better. i have visited several sites reading about break sticks and one of the things i read talked about break stix can cause damage to other breeds which sound like it was misinformation and i was spreading that around i dont want to add to the myths lord knows there are to many as it is. thank you for clearing that up

Ashley
No problem, thankyou for taking the time to learn about our beloved breed rather then believe and or spread the myths. If you have any more questions feel free to ask away.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:32 AM   #7
MrsGoo

Pit Bull Rescue Central explains it very well.. Other breeds tend to turn around and snap, plus, you could injure any other breed.

Pit Bull Rescue Central-break sticks

Old 06-23-2010, 09:08 PM   #8
PekHyvac

What about other bully breeds? Like bull terriers, american bulldogs, staffordshire bull terrier etc should you use one on breeds like this or just the APBT?

Old 06-23-2010, 09:22 PM   #9
enrisaabsotte

I've seen breaksticks used on American Bulldogs, American Bullies, ASTs, all kinds of bully mixes.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:28 PM   #10
Nwxffgke

I don't know about all other bully breeds. I used one on my Amstaff when he got into it with his son, and didn't have a problem.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:56 PM   #11
PekHyvac

I think most other bully breeds have that same tendency to hold on vs. nip, but I wasn't sure if you should still use one on them or not.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:12 PM   #12
denyffishh

Is it both or just really the nipping factor? I wondered if it would be a responsible thing to get for myself for my Dobe (he is not a nippy dog at all and I have never been bit by him in a fight, human or otherwise). He has a reliable out, but I am wondering what I would do, just short of choking him off, if he refused the command. He never has, but I just worry.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:22 PM   #13
Nwxffgke

You could always try it. (Proceed with caution). lol.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:50 AM   #14
medio

The main reason is that ( as already mentioned ) the APBT prefers to grab a hold and shake as to where other breeds just snap/bite repetitively. Its kinda useless on other breeds because they are constantly opening and closing thier mouths. The whole purpose behind the break stick is to "break" the hold of the dog that you are applying it on and not many breeds ( or any other at all ) even latch on long enough to consider it a hold so its rather pointless. Also due to regular dogs bite patterns, thier mouth is the last place you really want to be placing your hand because more than likely you're going to get bit.

You can pretty much tell by the scars on a dogs face or body of what they scrapped with. A bulldawg normally leaves 4 good sized puncture wounds and some form a tearing if they have been at it long enough. Most of the time a bulldawgs face will look like it was run through a cheese grater due to the multiple bite marks that they have received while scrapping with a regular breed of dog. That is why it is most important to break the APBT first, they were built for the abuses and can handle the constant snapping as to where the APBT on the other hand can do serious amounts of damage in such a short period of time due to thier combat techniques. The gripping and shaking is a lethal combonation nd that is why you always want to break them first.

As for APBT's getting a hold and keeping it ? Although they are well known for this combat tactic it is also my experience that APBT's are seldom happy with thier grip and will often sinch up for a better grip thus creating a brief window to allow one to seperate an APBT without the use of a break stick. You need to have lightning fast reflexes to acomplish it because that small window of time breaks down to what seems to be nano seconds. That is why it is always best to actually own a break stick and carry it wherever you take your APBT.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:01 AM   #15
alexbookhyip

What about other bully breeds? Like bull terriers, american bulldogs, staffordshire bull terrier etc should you use one on breeds like this or just the APBT?
We've used them on American Bulldogs, Catahoula Bulldogs, and our OEB. The first two breeds we use as catchdogs, the OEB like to start fights.

But yes, in my experience, many of the other bully breeds are ok to use breaksticks on, and in my experience with the above-mentioned breeds, they were downright necessary.

Remember, a breakstick is also the most humane way to separate the dogs without doing further damage.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:39 AM   #16
denyffishh

My dog's bite style is to push in and shake...now that I think of it, I almost couldn't get a toothpick in there.

I will just use what I have been taught to do with him...

The muzzle fight in this is irrelevant...it was just in there. But, with the decoy on the ground shows his style of biting.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:17 PM   #17
medio

My dog's bite style is to push in and shake...now that I think of it, I almost couldn't get a toothpick in there.

YouTube- Silence

I will just use what I have been taught to do with him...

The muzzle fight in this is irrelevant...it was just in there. But, with the decoy on the ground shows his style of biting.
Put that dog in a different scenario where it is not the aggressor and is playing the role of the vicitm and you will have a completely different bite style. Non APBT's follow more common dog behavior, they generally tend to fall into the "Fight or Flight" catergory. Once the dog starts taking the brunt of the punishment it will resort to the Flight behavior pattern more often than not.

I've yet to break up a dog fight with a non-APBT where the said dog required the use of a breakstick. Normal breeds of dogs you can just grab by the collor and wait a few seconds to pull them back, majority of the APBT's on the other hand, once they like thier current hold you better pack a lunch if you don't have a breakstick on hand because your probably going to be there for a while.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:47 PM   #18
denyffishh

Put that dog in a different scenario where it is not the aggressor and is playing the role of the vicitm and you will have a completely different bite style. Non APBT's follow more common dog behavior, they generally tend to fall into the "Fight or Flight" catergory. Once the dog starts taking the brunt of the punishment it will resort to the Flight behavior pattern more often than not.

I've yet to break up a dog fight with a non-APBT where the said dog required the use of a breakstick. Normal breeds of dogs you can just grab by the collor and wait a few seconds to pull them back, majority of the APBT's on the other hand, once they like thier current hold you better pack a lunch if you don't have a breakstick on hand because your probably going to be there for a while.
That's what a bungee line in training is for. If you re-grip it must be in or you lose it. Either way, I have made my decision not to use one anyway. He has been in a few dog fights where this bite style that is shown is used. He did not let go, only re-grip in and shake. It was over toys and he is now no longer allowed to play with the other dogs.

Reply to Thread New Thread