LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 06-17-2010, 06:31 PM   #1
Stainditnew

yes i Was doing some reading to find out when it was passed oct 1 07 here is the link CHAIN FREE AUSTIN

Old 06-17-2010, 07:21 PM   #2
hellenmoranov

First of all it doesn't surprise me that it's a law. We have something similar here in Indy. Dog's can not be chained out for more than an hour or so at a time. I know it's crazy but you have to remember that these people making the laws are not that knowledgable about the things they are passing laws on. Unfortunately, they are taking the advice of people who are not realisitic about these things as well.

I have the same problem with small dogs and my dogs as well. I have just told the small dog owners that because there is a leash law and I don't let my dogs run loose at all, I would appreciate it if they would keep their dogs in their own yards. That because their dogs are aggressive and very small, the potential for my dogs doing serious damage to them is very high. I have also told them that although my dogs would be in the right if it happened on my property, I would still feel terrible that something happened to their dogs. What I didn't tell them is that if it happened, according to the police in my area, my dogs would still be taken and probably pts.

So far, because I was nice about it, they have been making an effort to keep their dogs home and in their yards. Occasionally one will get out, but I just bring them right home and the owners have seemed appreciative.

Just make it look like you are looking out for their dog's welfare and they should be ok. (Sometimes a little honey works best.)

Old 06-17-2010, 08:04 PM   #3
Buyingtime

keep in mind, the OP lives in Austin, the liberal, fur Mommy capital of Texas... nothing is Austin is like the rest of Texas.. it is more like California
just be honest with your neighbors, tell them that if their dogs are in your yard with out your permission and supervision, they are liable to pay for their aggression in a way that you will not be responsible for...

Old 06-17-2010, 08:07 PM   #4
Alex Photographer

I have sorta the the same problem as you. With one minor difference, my dog will no question kill the three little yapper dogs that moved in on three sides of me if they get into my yard. After living here for 16 years with no dogs around me they all moved in around the same time recently. My way of life with my dogs has been turned around from what I have been used too. The one little hotdog type dog starts barking at six in the morning and after I get woken up I think what could the owners of that dog possibly be doing that they don't hear that little s*** waking up the whole neighborhood, what clear heads these people have. I had to tell each neighbor to please contain their dogs and keep them out of my yard because my dog has a high prey drive she will chase and catch their dog because she thinks the little dogs are squirrells. One of my neighbors that moved in happenes to be my neice who has an english bulldog and a chi. The EB could possibly hold his own till someone intervened, after two tries with an introduction my dog will attack the EB so they are no longer allowed together, but the chi has no chance. It is always a stressful time when I open my door now to let my dog out I have to check to make sure my yard is free of dogs that may have wandered in as it has happened before.
I feel that I have done my part to inform the families with the little dogs and I would really feel bad if something were to happen to their beloved pets but I gave fair warning of what the outcome would certainly be so if they get in and something happens sorry to say but I told them so.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:31 AM   #5
G8whlTAe

Just tell them flat out not to bring their dogs with them when they come over or else to have them on a leash at all times. It's your house, your rules. Don't feel bad about offending anyone.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:56 PM   #6
fluoxet

I have a Punt It! policy when it comes to "snack size" dogs. If a small dog charges me or mine and isn't under its owners control I will kick that sucker like a star soccer/football player to keep it from getting my dogs in trouble.

If a small dog comes onto my property I am going to grab it up and take it to AC as a stray found wandering on my property. The owners can take up with AC why their dog was not contained.

For neighbors and in interest in keeping the peace, I will tell them that they need to contain their dogs for a first offence and then go the take it to AC route. If they are bringing the dog over or their kids are bringing the dog over, I will simply tell them that I don't want their dog hurt and since mine are so much bigger they can hurt the dog without meaning to during play or on purpose if the dog starts drama, so please keep your dog(s) at home. If they can't listen to that, well...sorry.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:45 PM   #7
Stainditnew

Default Purse Dogs
So I have new neighbors and they have purse dogs (poodles,yorkie,etc...) that I call them because just like pitbulls being over populated so are the purse dogs But nobody see thats they only see ABPT as being over populated or vicious.Well I have 3 pitbulls that are all under a year old,and my neighbors dog growls,charges,etc..at them what should I do???

Old 10-06-2010, 08:49 PM   #8
syncFisee

Yes, there are too many pit bulls one of the reasons why we have so many problems.

Are the "purse dogs" on their own property? If so, you can't do anything about the problem.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:55 PM   #9
Stainditnew

Yes they do come on my property and it drives my dogs crazy too because they want to play but my neighbor dogs want to bite or growl at them my kids play with there kids so they bring the dog with them.

---------- Post added at 01:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 PM ----------

And im a dog lover of all kinds,but im scared 1 day my dog is going to get fed up and bite back as self denfense

Old 10-06-2010, 08:56 PM   #10
syncFisee

Am I wrong in assuming you are friendly with these people? If so, politely tell them you do not want their dogs on your property. Simple as that.

---------- Post added at 01:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 PM ----------

And im a dog lover of all kinds,but im scared 1 day my dog is going to get fed up and bite back as self denfense
Your property, your rules. You don't need to explain you are a dog lover. The last thing you need is for your dogs to attack one of their dogs. This is a situation that can be avoided.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:59 PM   #11
Adamanta

if they are on YOUR property and something happends i dont see how you could be held liable i honestly wouldnt much worry about it as long as your dogs are properly contained.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:00 PM   #12
syncFisee

if they are on YOUR property and something happends i dont see how you could be held liable i honestly wouldnt much worry about it as long as your dogs are properly contained.
I guess my train of thought is do what you can to avoid a possible bad situation.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:03 PM   #13
Adamanta

tell them politely to keep there yippy little mutts of your property, if they dont call animal control and get it on record that they allow their dogs to enter your property, then if the problem persists let bulldogs be bulldogs. I know ill get bashed for saying that but fuck some people really piss me off about letting dogs wander around.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:03 PM   #14
Stainditnew

Yes im trying to avoid a situation going bad, well we say hi an bye because they just moved in so really havent had a chance to talk to them about it.But just wanted to know the best route

Old 10-06-2010, 09:06 PM   #15
syncFisee

It's a no brainer really. Unless you give them permission, your neighbours have no right bringing over their dogs.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:16 PM   #16
enrisaabsotte

Yes im trying to avoid a situation going bad, well we say hi an bye because they just moved in so really havent had a chance to talk to them about it.But just wanted to know the best route....

......my kids play with there kids so they bring the dog with them.
If your kids play together and they even bring their dog to your house, how can you not talk with them?

Just tell them plain and simple, you don't want their dogs to get hurt, yours are bigger, and though they aren't the aggressors, they can do more damage.

Are your dogs loose in your yard without you being right there? Or are they penned/chained when they're out?

Old 10-06-2010, 09:20 PM   #17
Stainditnew

Yes our kids play together,and we talked before this was before they got the dog my dogs are in kennels not chained up i live in Texas and no dogs can be on a chains.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:23 PM   #18
Adamanta

i live in Texas and no dogs can be on a chains.
when the hell did that become law??

Old 10-06-2010, 09:29 PM   #19
Scukonah

Yes our kids play together,and we talked before this was before they got the dog my dogs are in kennels not chained up i live in Texas and no dogs can be on a chains.
that is a shitty law

Old 10-06-2010, 09:31 PM   #20
Dwemadayday

I would talk to them as politely as you can since they are your neighbors and I am guessing houses are rather close together (not achers apart) I would just tell them because there dogs are small that does not give them the right to charge your puppies and that you would like them to keep there dogs under control because you don't want them to get hurt, and you don't want to have to call the AC if they draw blood on your puppies (even if your puppies do not care, make it seem like you are worried about your dogs getting hurt not theirs, and if they don't take action soon you will)

Reply to Thread New Thread