LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 06-15-2010, 04:52 AM   #1
oplapofffe

I have also noticed that the tosa inu is being quite popular. I really hope they don't get to popular because they are not a breed for everyone and when bred with off temperaments as some BYB's like to do it could be a terrible situation. With all the "pit bull" bans going around people are looking for the new "tuff" dog.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:09 PM   #2
gusecrync

LOL, Tosas are not crazy. Tosas are pretty much a neapolitan mastiff, albeit a little bit smaller and slightly more athletic. I've been around a few when I went to Japan, these dogs are probably the second most popular dogs in Japan, with the Shiba Inu and Akita Inu tied for first. The Tosas are actually a really great dog.
How long were you here for? I see tons of shibas, dachshunds and lots of other small dogs, but rarely akitas and hardy ever tosas. The only ones I know of here are owned by "pros". I have yet to meet one Japanese pet owner with a pitbull, but there are a few here and there. Most Japanese like their dogs to look like little stuffed animals, and many of them end up in the pound once they're bored of them.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:08 PM   #3
ScosyGissiok

How long were you here for? I see tons of shibas, dachshunds and lots of other small dogs, but rarely akitas and hardy ever tosas. The only ones I know of here are owned by "pros". I have yet to meet one Japanese pet owner with a pitbull, but there are a few here and there. Most Japanese like their dogs to look like little stuffed animals, and many of them end up in the pound once they're bored of them.
I haven't seen an apbt or an apbt mix while I was in Japan either. Though I did see a lot of akitas and Tosas when I was traveling the Shikoku region. I saw very few toy breeds when I was traveling there, though I did see the toy breeds when I was in Tokyo. I also saw a lot of interesting and exotic animals for sale in the pet stores in Japan, towards my surprise. I even saw a monkey there.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:47 AM   #4
SpeavaJap

Default tosa inu pups for sale in vegas
could NOT believe it. such a rare breed not to mention...not for just anyone...that breed is crazy, i pretty much shit my pants when i saw it.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:52 AM   #5
chechokancho

Where did you see it?
If it is on CL, I am pretty sure they're registered in Nigeria

Old 10-06-2010, 11:55 AM   #6
SpeavaJap

it was on cl, but they had a vegas phone number i think, why scammers?

Old 10-06-2010, 11:57 AM   #7
chechokancho

It could be legit, but if it is a scam I am pretty sure that phone will ring in Lagos or somewhere nearby.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:13 PM   #8
floadaVonfoli

I want one sooo bad!

I brought it up once with one of my friends who works with a local pit bull rescue. I guess a few weeks before we talked about Tosa inus, someone had surrendered one to the rescue, papers and all. If only I had brought it up with my buddy sooner...

Old 10-06-2010, 08:20 PM   #9
SallyIsNice5

I think they are beautiful, but they would be too much dog for me. Probably a BYB if they are putting them on craigslist.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:56 AM   #10
SpeavaJap

hes ligit, sent me pics of the parents and hes in vegas. he got them from japan on a trip from champion parents, he said the temperaments are great. still shocked, lol.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:15 AM   #11
popillio

out of curiousity- how much is he asking?

Old 10-07-2010, 01:18 AM   #12
HaremShaih

he got them from japan on a trip from champion parents, .
as in fighting champions?

Old 10-07-2010, 01:18 AM   #13
uncoodync

I don't know.. I know that Craigslist is a great resource. But I couldn't see buying a dog such as that off of craigslist and it being legit. But if he is thats great. Too much dog for me.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:19 AM   #14
SpeavaJap

yea i think fighting champs. he is asking 1500 from what he told me.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:20 AM   #15
HaremShaih

yea i think fighting champs. he is asking 1500 from what he told me.
im gonna have the unpopular opinion here but hell i think thats kinda cool I do think its a bad idea for just anyone to be able to get there hands on one of these beasts though.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:26 AM   #16
SpeavaJap

yea i agree, i was totally surprised when i saw and when he sent me pics of the parents i was even more surprised because they really are tosas. I only saw one tosa, and it was bigger or about the size of a dane, but full of muscle and a massive head, the guy who owned the dog i saw in person said it killed his pit bull, but the dog was so breath taking i just could not believe i saw one in person, had to have been like 200 pounds. the only other time i saw them was pictures of them in sport online...hmmm that versus a kangal? I wonder...haha.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:32 AM   #17
Teeppoodiug

I live in Vegas and there are so many full of shit backyard breeders out here it's insane. And they stay in business because the majority of the population in the city is stupid as heck. At the vet I work for these BYB's came in with a plastic bin full of blue puppies that looked like some type of pit/mastiff mix. When I asked what mix they were they snapped at me and told me they were full blooded Presas, which is a crock of BS because blue coloring is not in the breed standard. People will fall for anything though.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:44 AM   #18
popillio

I thought by sport rules they were not supposed to kill??

Old 10-07-2010, 01:54 AM   #19
gusecrync

Pretty sure it depends on how they're doing it. Under traditional rules if the dog makes a sound it's out. They usually don't let them kill each other because one they're extremely valuable and two it's bad taste to the Japanese. Usually when one turns and looks like it's lost it's will to fight the contest is finished. That said, there are other not so traditional contests between tosas, pits and tosa/pit hybrids. The hybrids are pretty serious dogs and some people prefer them to pure strains of either breed. Also who cares if the parents killed a pitbull? Was it a CH? Just some cur dog? Someone who thought their pet was a badass? Did it even happen...

These are big strong dogs, the people who have them here are professionals and I've only seen a handful of them. I've never seen a purely "pet" Tosa anywhere here. Gee, sounds like how a breed I know of to used to be.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:58 PM   #20
Plokiikmol

Well, considering the Tosa is featured in this month's edition of Dog Fancy accompanied by a plethora of byb ads in the magazine, you can bet that such a dog won't be "rare" here for long. And it will go the way as most other mastiff breeds in that its temperament will be ruined along with every other breed standard and we know we all need more 100+ lb dogs with crappy temperaments to create some good headlines.

Reply to Thread New Thread