LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 03-06-2010, 07:30 AM   #1
ChexEcodece

Default This is why our breed is dying
Since when is it cruel to have your dog work a springpole? Today, some old lady came up to me and said and I quote "you're a moron, how would you like to have all your weight supported by your teeth?!?!?! it is because of people like you that there are so many pitbulls in the shelters ready to be destroyed." She claims to have been rescuing and placing "pitbulls" for 20+ years. I said to her and quote "no wonder why our breed is in such a state that it is in. When you are trying to keep your dog in shape by conditioning it, stupid idiots like yourself come out of no where and make ridiculous claims of cruelty. I'm guessing each and every dog you've placed are probably sitting in some shelter getting ready to be euthanized, or are in the hands of people that knows jack shit about them and making the responsible enthusiasts look bad." This supposed "expert" left my premises and kept on screaming at me to try and work the springpole for myself and see how I like it. I'm sure if I was an apbt or any dog, I'd LOVE IT LOL. I'm guessing I'll be having a visit soon from ASPCA or something, this is the 4th time LOL.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:51 AM   #2
nermise

Been there. I had cops come out where I previously lived because someone thought I was hanging my dog from a tire.

This lady has been rescuing pit bulls for over 20 years? She better stop NOW!

Old 03-06-2010, 08:01 AM   #3
ChexEcodece

Been there. I had cops come out where I previously lived because someone thought I was hanging my dog from a tire.

I fully agree, I believe she is the one that is the damn problem. These "rescues" will adopt out any dog to anyone, despite that they cannot properly manage a DA dog. Then you turn on the news and you read about a damn pitbull attack.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:04 AM   #4
jeraveike

haha seriously, you would think that "20" years of experience she would know anything about the springpole, let alone heard of it. Then she would know that people us them at as a positive recreational thing for pits....hell they are used as a form of competition.

i hate it when people try and educate you on something they know nothing about.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:14 AM   #5
beloveds

Well, I don't have a springpole yet, have a good branch on one of my trees, but I've got to clear some scrub around it, but I'm sure my dogs would both love one.

Both of them love to tug and pull. Both will hold onto a rope with their back toes just barely grazing the ground. The only difference is, Sinead will do it a lot longer. They're dogs. Dogs like to bite and hold onto stuff. That's not cruel.

Hell, one of my friends used to have a corgi that'd go crazy on his heavy bag. It was a freaking corgi and that dog was a maniac in holding on...even if people were punching the bag.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:34 AM   #6
ChexEcodece

Thanks a lot guys, normally I'm a gentleman and won't let old ladies get under my skin. Hell, I'd go out of my way to help those in need, including the elderly, when need be and it is of a reasonable expection from myself. I've volunteered in hospitals and retirement homes, and have even brought my dog with me. He is by no means a certified therapy dog, but he is human friendly and he is 22 months old, so he doesn't have the zoomies. Plus being sufficiently exercised, he is always calm and not spastic. I allow anyone that wishes to come pet him do so and the supervisor is more than delighted to have me bring my dog into the retirement home. However, today was the first time that an old lady got under my skin. Not so much that she called me a moron, but because she claims to have been rescuing and rehoming our breed for 20+ years and she is definitely NOT qualified to do so. One can only fathom the number of dogs she has placed in with families unequipped to deal with a breed that has the potential to become really DA. I can't help but wonder how many dogs that are apbts in the manhattan and queens AC & C that are about to be put to death due to a surrender or a seizure because the owners had their dogs mauled to death by their apbt, an apbt attacked the neighbors' pets, and/or the apbt bit them or the neighbors since they were trying to break up a fight. One thing I can't stand are the damn hypocrites and those causing our breed to end up like this.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:45 AM   #7
Enjknsua

Crap. I thought you were a chick Realdawgs!

People are moronic. I've had people think I was hanging my dog, tell me I'm cruel for having them pull their own dog food home, putting them on a tie up.... gaud... you name it. Normally I just either laugh it off or educate but there are those days were it just freakin' rubs me the wrong way.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:49 AM   #8
Doctor-CTAC

I had this issue aswell when I train my pit for a chain pull. Same response bro. She wants me to test it and see what I feel! Haha! I just smile and walk away..

Old 03-06-2010, 08:55 AM   #9
ChexEcodece

Crap. I thought you were a chick Realdawgs!

People are moronic. I've had people think I was hanging my dog, tell me I'm cruel for having them pull their own dog food home, putting them on a tie up.... gaud... you name it. Normally I just either laugh it off or educate but there are those days were it just freakin' rubs me the wrong way.
LOL, really? I try my best to solve the rubix cube that is the female's mind so I'll take that as a complement

LOL oh man, one time I almost punched someone since my dog was pulling his own food home and he got up in my face. The stupid guy walked right up to me and was yelling. I told him to back up and he wouldn't, but my dog barked so he backed up a little. In all honesty, I think my dog barked solely because he was yelling and it pissed him off, but he stumbled back as if his life was in danger LOL. He has a habit of barking at loud noises though and good thing too since the guy was about 5'4 and looks to be about 120 lbs. fat LOL. Needless to say, I'm a lot taller and bigger than him. It seems to me that people these days are willing to take a beating for an animal, but when a woman has her purse stolen or is being yelled at by an abusive man, everyone is too scared to do anything. Jeez, what a world we live in huh?

---------- Post added at 01:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 AM ----------

I had this issue aswell when I train my pit for a chain pull. Same response bro. She wants me to test it and see what I feel! Haha! I just smile and walk away..
LOL, kinda hard to smile and walk away though, especially since you've had a rough day and just want to spend some quality time with your dogs. But I get you, it just got to me today LOL.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:59 AM   #10
Enjknsua

LOL, really? I try my best to solve the rubix cube that is the female's mind so I'll take that as a complement
Definitley no insult intended. Your fine use of punctuation, being well spoken, etc... kind of threw me off I guess.

I didn't think anyone else did that but us.. have their dog pull the food home! I haven't done that in years as our wagon broke down. Damn... we really need a new one!

Old 03-06-2010, 09:10 AM   #11
Doctor-CTAC

Definitley no insult intended. Your fine use of punctuation, being well spoken, etc... kind of threw me off I guess.

I didn't think anyone else did that but us.. have their dog pull the food home! I haven't done that in years as our wagon broke down. Damn... we really need a new one!
For real Zoe? Haha! Last time I had my AmBully pull something is my daughter's stroller. So I walked them babies both at once. Hehe.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:14 AM   #12
ChexEcodece

Thank you Zoe, I try to be well spoken (as do all of my friends) when we go to public areas with our dogs. I live in NYC and the pitbull epidemic is extremely high here. Virtually everyone that wants to be a hot shot, especially those in their early to mid 20s, always have at least one or two ambullies, cane corso, or presa canario by their side and call it a "pitbull." I do not wish to have my dogs taken away and/or let the public believe that only thugs and low lifes keep this breed. When we volunteer in homeless shelters, retirement home, and even in the hospitals (on certain days, the supervisor is more than delighted for us to have our dogs go into the hospital and allow the infirmed to pet them. This really brightens their days, especially the kids.), we educate them on the apbt history. We don't sugar coat things though, i.e. "it's all how you raise them," but rather, we tell them the truth. I'm hoping that this police visit goes as well as the last 3.

I also allow my dogs to pull their food home since I might be interested in getting into weight pull. UWPA, IWPA, ADBA, AADR, etc. I figured it would be good to get them accustomed towards pulling loads on wheels.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:29 AM   #13
Enjknsua

For real Zoe? Haha! Last time I had my AmBully pull something is my daughter's stroller. So I walked them babies both at once. Hehe.
Ya... I HAVE to get something happening for the dogs to pull the kids. We used to do it when my son was little, now my daughter is all upset she isn't getting pulled around by them! She can't complain that much because she did get the Barbie Jeep ride!

---------- Post added at 12:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 AM ----------

Thank you Zoe, I try to be well spoken (as do all of my friends) when we go to public areas with our dogs. I live in NYC and the pitbull epidemic is extremely high here. Virtually everyone that wants to be a hot shot, especially those in their early to mid 20s, always have at least one or two ambullies, cane corso, or presa canario by their side and call it a "pitbull." I do not wish to have my dogs taken away and/or let the public believe that only thugs and low lifes keep this breed. When we volunteer in homeless shelters, retirement home, and even in the hospitals (on certain days, the supervisor is more than delighted for us to have our dogs go into the hospital and allow the infirmed to pet them. This really brightens their days, especially the kids.), we educate them on the apbt history. We don't sugar coat things though, i.e. "it's all how you raise them," but rather, we tell them the truth. I'm hoping that this police visit goes as well as the last 3.
Sounds like my area. Twenty something guys with dogs they have no business owning.

It's so great you get to go to the hospital with your dogs! My daughter spends alot of time in the Children's Hospital and we miss our crew SO much when we are gone. People really don't get how special it is, especially to a family with dogs at home, to have a dog come visit them while they are stuck in hospital.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:52 AM   #14
beloveds

It's so great you get to go to the hospital with your dogs! My daughter spends alot of time in the Children's Hospital and we miss our crew SO much when we are gone. People really don't get how special it is, especially to a family with dogs at home, to have a dog come visit them while they are stuck in hospital.
And that is why I'm planning on getting Sinead certified as a therapy dog. Although, I want to bring her to the Battered women's shelter. The worst part of being basically homeless after leaving my abusive ex, was not having Mick with me (it was pre-Sinead). Basically, the only reason I even dropped the charges was to get visitation rights to Mick and custody of the house. To make it worse, I'm fully convinced Mick was being abused too in my absence. Moved back into the house and suddenly he acted like I was going to kill him if I took out a broom or tried to hand him a rawhide stick. Cringing, tail between the legs, crawling away, etc. He got over it pretty fast once he realized it was just me and him, though. Fortunately, he's a pretty resilient, stable dog.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:36 AM   #15
Enjknsua

That's horrible SineadsMom. I just couldn't imagine anyone mistreating my dogs in my absense or having to leave them with someone who was abusing me!

The therapy dogs that comes to the children's hospital Raven goes to aren't allowed up on the ward due to the kids with allergies. They do come into the playroom maybe like once a month or so. I wish it was daily! It was literally YEARS before we ran into one of the therapy dogs by fluke. He was such a cutie.

That's my girl in the pink and my son with the pit bull shirt. Her friend and her mum (on the right) came for a visit that same day so it was a good day in hospital distracted by so much!

Old 03-06-2010, 11:01 AM   #16
beloveds

That's horrible SineadsMom. I just couldn't imagine anyone mistreating my dogs in my absense or having to leave them with someone who was abusing me!

The therapy dogs that comes to the children's hospital Raven goes to aren't allowed up on the ward due to the kids with allergies. They do come into the playroom maybe like once a month or so. I wish it was daily! It was literally YEARS before we ran into one of the therapy dogs by fluke. He was such a cutie.

That's my girl in the pink and my son with the pit bull shirt. Her friend and her mum (on the right) came for a visit that same day so it was a good day in hospital distracted by so much!
Yeah, when I left, I was expecting to just be out for a couple days. Thanks to my ex's hot shot attorney, I was out of the house for two months and had a month before I could see Mick. I even arranged for Mick to stay with a friend temporarily (perfect place, she breeds and trains working border collies, etc). My ex wouldn't give him up. Honestly, what killed me the most was once I had visitation rights (2 hours on Wednesday and Saturday), I would literally have to pick him up and carry him back into the house. He just wanted to be with me. He always basically viewed my ex as a piece of furniture and I should have gone by his judgement...he normally has a very good sense about people. And I know he was being abused judging by his reactions, because he's not a soft dog. He's pretty friggin' tough. He's been whacked with stock sticks before and just chalked it up to part of the job...so for him to be scared of being hit with a broom or rawhide stick, he was getting BEAT with one. Not like me giving him a little slap or something.

BTW, your daughter is adorable, and I hope whatever health issue she has is resolved. She's too cute to be sick.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:29 AM   #17
Enjknsua

Thanx. Unfortunately her health issues are not something that will be resolved. She has Cystic Fibrosis so it will honestly only get worse for her, unless of course they come up with a cure or some sort of reasonable control.

Grrrrrrr......... that just INFURIATES me SO much. I had a foster who came to me from a friend of a friend who was just beat senseless for most of her young life and her fear aggression issues were so over the top because of her extremely soft temperament, she was not a safe dog to rehome so we decided it was best to euth. I can't even THINK of that guy without getting all riled up. I think that was one of my most difficult euths because I bet if I raised her, she would have been a great girl.

Old 03-06-2010, 01:05 PM   #18
Doctor-CTAC

I also allow my dogs to pull their food home since I might be interested in getting into weight pull. UWPA, IWPA, ADBA, AADR, etc. I figured it would be good to get them accustomed towards pulling loads on wheels.
*salute*

Weightpulling is something i'll venture out in the near feature. I watched one weightpulling show.. I get goosebumps on how intense the owner command his dog to pull without bait. Feels like my dog scratches and won even the odds think the he would stop and cur out.

Old 03-06-2010, 01:07 PM   #19
DurryVony

She's probably to far gone for this to work, but you can compare the spring pole to a game of tug-o-war. Half the time when I'm playing with Otis, he has little or no weight on his front feet/legs. I don't see the spring pole being much different. Next thing you know she's going to say it's abuse if the dog is jumping for a tennis ball!

I swear, if you do anything even remotely close to exercising or working your dog you are abusing them. It's very annoying. I'm glad I haven't had that problem with Otis. If he was a short coated breed, we probably would.

Old 03-06-2010, 01:07 PM   #20
MackBranon

20 years dealing with them and she doesn't know crap. Pit bulls are not made of glass and not working them makes them sad.

Reply to Thread New Thread