LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 04-24-2010, 07:57 AM   #1
StoyaFanst

Default Irritation with prong collar?
I have been using a prong with my trainer and on walks with my 8 mo old APB. She is white on her neck and has very sensitive skin. After only a few sessions she has developed some irritation from the prong(redness and a little swelling). I have read the Leerburg post on fitting the collar and have followed my trainers advice. The prong is not loose at all but doesn't seem too tight. She is about 65lb and wearing the medium weight prong. My trainer suggested going to a smaller weight prong? Any advice?
Thanks
Shelly

Old 04-24-2010, 11:39 AM   #2
byncnombmub

You can get little plastic nubs to put on the end of the prongs to take it down a notch. Not sure if it'll help or not though...

Old 04-24-2010, 11:56 AM   #3
RastusuadegeFrimoum

You could try not using a pinch collar.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:39 PM   #4
pharmaclid

theres a rubber version of the prong if that might help more, i however have 0 experience with it so maybe someone else can fill you in on it..

Old 04-24-2010, 01:41 PM   #5
corriffuniee

I would discontinue use completely until the redness and swelling are gone. But that's just me.

Old 04-24-2010, 04:08 PM   #6
TornadoPD

My APBT's neck is sensitive, too. I can only use leather collars on her or she gets irritated and loses hair along with some swelling. It took weeks of experimenting to find what worked for her.

Any reason you are using a prong collar? Is there a behavior you are working on correcting? Maybe try switching to a martingale collar?

Old 04-24-2010, 04:36 PM   #7
choollaBard

I had the same problem. I tried the little black plastic prong caps...didn't really help.

I switched to a sense-ation front ring harness. Love it so much I could sell the damn things.

http://www.softouchconcepts.com/prod...on_harness.php

Old 04-24-2010, 04:49 PM   #8
TornadoPD

We had a harness like that. Ike could slip it, so we went for another design. Course, Ike is pretty adept at slipping a lot of collar and harness styles, so we can use only one or two designs with him. Our APBT was fine on a harness like that though.

Old 04-24-2010, 04:49 PM   #9
corriffuniee

Thanks for that link Jazzy!

Old 04-24-2010, 05:35 PM   #10
StoyaFanst

Thanks for all of the replies and advice! I started using the prong on my trainer's suggestion because she wasn't responding very well to the rope or chain choke for general obedience. She has become quite an unruly adolescent I have tried numerous training collars gentle leader, no pull harness etc with limited success. I think we will be taking a break from the prong for a while!

Old 04-25-2010, 06:21 AM   #11
byncnombmub

I had the same problem. I tried the little black plastic prong caps...didn't really help.

I switched to a sense-ation front ring harness. Love it so much I could sell the damn things.

http://www.softouchconcepts.com/prod...on_harness.php
I just dog sat a dog that had one of these and I couldn't figure out how to get the damn thing on her! She's SUPER geeky too so as I'm towering over her trying to figure the damn thing out, she was pissing all over me! Poor girl.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:24 AM   #12
DuePew

theres a rubber version of the prong if that might help more, i however have 0 experience with it so maybe someone else can fill you in on it..
my prong had rubber tops on the spikes and I found it to be VERY ineffective with them on it.
that and you easily loose them to.. they are not glued or anything you can just take them off and put them back on with 2 fingers... I wouldn't use a prong if it's hurting her.

you could try a no pull harness or a gentle leader.

no pull harness
http://welovedoodles.com/wp-content/...lk-harness.jpg

gentle leader/halti
http://www.swellpets.co.uk/img/shop/...Headcollar.jpg

Reply to Thread New Thread