LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 04-22-2010, 06:36 PM   #1
9mm_fan

Default Family and Pit Bulls, how to deal with that? (Rant Alert)
Sometimes I get really aggravated by my family, who doesn't right? The thing is they are anti Pit Bull. And honestly for a long time so was I and only because that is how I was raised. It was put in my head from the time that I was a little girl that "Pit Bulls are evil baby killers" so ofcourse I grew up thinking that. It wasn't until I rescued my dog that I decided to get to know different breeds and the American Pit Bull Terrier is one of them that I have made a point whenever I am at the shelter to spend some quality time with. The first pit bull I ever met was owned by the head of the rescue, she had 3 legs. She lost her leg because she was used as bait in a pit bull fight amazingly she survived and is a wonderful family dog. I don't think any other breed of dog could go through what many pit bulls go through and it not change them and not for the better. Pit Bulls can be rehabilitated but I'm not sure a lot of breeds could. Anyway I love the American Pit Bull Terrier.

But that is beside the point. Needless to say the Staffordshire Bull Terrier is my next breed of dog. Now when I say family in this scenario I'm talking about my Mom, Stepdad, and Grandparents. Not My dad who has had these breeds and my aunt currently has 3 wonderful APBTs. So this is just part of my family. Anyways my Mom and Stepdad are so concerned that I want a Staffordshire Bull Terrier and I that I think the American Pit Bull Terrier is a wonderful dog in the right hands. To them I have gone to the "dark side" if you know what I mean. My stepdad has basically said he better never hear that I got a pit bull, especially with my daughter living at home. Something about their would be ramifications for that and he would not have his grandchild at risk. That kind of scares me but I don't think there is really anything they can do about it, right? What gives him the right to tell me what kind of dog I can or can't have? Is he going to throw a fit if I buy the wrong kind of horse in his opinion when my daughter starts horseback riding? Anyways other than something mysteriously happening to the dog I don't think there is much he can do. You can't tell a person what kind of dog they can have, especially if you don't live in their house. Then their are my grandparents, who are constantly sending me articles about supposed "Pit Bull Attacks". Such as "Pit Bull attacks baby", "Pit Bull attacks and kills poodle", etc. And in half those articles the dog isn't even a pit bull. They are so worried that I will get an unstable dog that will hurt my child.

So I've tried to explain what they think of as a pit bull usually isn't a pit bull. And what I am wanting is a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, not an American Pit Bull Terrier. But they are all pit bulls to them. Sure SBT is classifed as a pit bull but they don't even what to hear about the different characteristics of different breeds, they just don't care. They are set in their ways. Now I am not one to lie about a dogs breed but since most likely I'll be adopting a mix from the shelter when the time comes I'm almost wondering as far as my family is concerned not letting them know the dog is part SBT, just tell them the dog is a Terrier mix or whatever the other suspected breed is for example Jack Russell Terrier mix or Lab mix. And then maybe someday let it slip what the dog really is or when the dog passes away eventually let it slip. I know that is wrong and I would not be ashamed of the breed, I just worry what they might try to do to the dog you know. Its not like they even know what a real pit bull looks like.

My husband and I have every right to choose a breed we feel is right for our family, as do my relatives have the right to choose what is best for their family. But they don't have the right to choose what is best for my family and it really bothers me their strong opinions about Pit Bulls. I'm almost afraid to bring one home because of this. Its still going to be a few years before we bring one home so I'm just going to not talk about Pit Bulls or anything around them for awhile and maybe talk about other breeds more to kind of let this all blow over, but I do worry about what happens when I do bring one home. I love these breeds and this is really hard for me that because I like them, to my family that makes me a bad person and parent.

What should I do? What would you do?

Thanks just having a sucky day, sorry for ranting.

---------- Post added at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 AM ----------

I wanted to also say that everytime they say something negative about these dogs or send me something negative its like getting a knife in the heart. I don't care at all what anyone else thinks but its hard when its your family that are the ones saying and doing. You know. Anyone else ever have these problems when owning or wanting to own a pit bull breed. And they have small dogs and their one dog is a breed that doesn't have the best reputation right now for small breeds but I don't go around telling them they shouldn't have this breed because of this, this, or they will tear up your ankle. You get the point I'm sure.

I don't get people in general, I guess that is why I am an animal person.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:57 PM   #2
pharmaclid

They have no right to tell you what to get if you do not live in their home. do what you want, not what they complain about.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:07 PM   #3
CevepBiageCefm

Well they can't lock you up for being loony I don't think over a breed choice but I understand your not wanting to upset them. On the other hand they should respect that you are an adult and can make your own decisions for your own family. You don't have to bring the dog to their houses and flaunt it in their face (not that I think you would) so they need to either adapt or stay unhappy. You deserve to be happy with whatever choice you make.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:57 AM   #4
9mm_fan

True. Yeah they aren't really dog people unless its a dog under 6lbs I don't take my current dogs over there because they insist they stay outside. I mean it just hurts though. In the long run I don't what they think but it hurts that they don't trust my judgment. I'm 24 years old and have been making my own decisions for a long time, and before they wouldn't have cared but now that I have a child its a whole different ballgame. This whole thing isn't going to stop me from getting the breed I feel is best for us Staffy or not.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:05 AM   #5
TineSeign

I have this issue with one of my sister. When my fiance and I first started dating he only had Queen. We went to my mom's house for something and my sister was suppose to come. Well, she found out that Queen was there and freaked out. She basically told me that I was endangering her son's life because I had that dog there and that you will never know. And one day she will be proven right. Well, that was five years ago and we still do not really talk or get along. We had some prior issues before this but this really made it worst. She will not come over to my house because of my dogs. She will not even meet them because they are just "horrible breed of dog." All you can do is not let it bother you and try to educate them. They might not listen and it might cause from bumpy roads between everyone. But out of my three siblings, she was the only one that I had some major issues with. My other sister owns a jack/apbt mix.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:10 AM   #6
denyffishh

Oh family. Mine drives me nuts.

Thankfully, my mom (the relative I see the most) LOVES Lucy. She loves all dogs. When I brought Lucy over for the first time, the first thing my mom did was get down on the floor and wrestle her. Then they took a trip to the kitchen so Lucy could clean out the fridge for my mom (which happens every visit now). She doesn't see Lucy as a baby killer, just a pal to cuddle with and spoil (since she knows she's not getting grandkids anytime soon. She calls my pups her granddogs.)

My dad's family HATES pit bulls. When they found out I got one, I got to hear about how my cousin got bit by her husband's "pit bull". When I asked what the dog looked like, all I got was "pit bulls are evil", which leads me to believe they're morons and were full of BS. However, my grandma LOVES pit bulls. She had one when she was younger. But she tends to be the more pleasant, understanding member of that side of my family. My cousins don't care, they just like animals. Really it's just the majority of the adults in that part of the fam. I could have 5 kids at the age of 20, and that would be hunky dory, but I'm shunned for getting a pit bull and wanting to bring my bf of 4 years to Xmas dinner. But my cousin who's the same age as me can bring her baby daddy who lives in her car.

I can't wait until Xmas. They get an ultimatum, pit bull or boyfriend. If they're smart they'll go with the pit.

But, yeah, good luck. Maybe one day they'll open their eyes. They can't stop you from owning a specific breed of dog seeing as you're an adult, and you don't live with them.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:45 AM   #7
Abraham

I would just simply get an apbt.

Reply to Thread New Thread