LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 04-20-2010, 02:11 PM   #1
hopertveyk

Default Am I wrong on this?? Sorry kind of long....
This is an ad I just seen on Craigslist:
I have a 4 year old American Pit Bull Terrier that has aggressive tendencies towards other people besides my family. I need to find him a place to go, but I am scared to rehome him on craigslist only because I do not think it is safe for someone else to take him- unless they have a lot of experience working directly aggressive dogs. I am looking for a reputable NO KILL RESCUE to take my dog in less than 2 weeks. I would consider giving him to an individual with experience training dogs having behavioral problems, but I will need to see proof of this. To me, my dog is a big baby. He loves to be cuddled and played with. His biggest problem is that he hasn't been socialized enough with people or other dogs. I wouldn't necessarily call him aggressive, but I will say he is VERY PROTECTIVE of his family. HE IS NOT A FIGHTER HE IS A PROTECTOR! So dog fighters please DO NOT waste your time or your money because you will get nowhere with him.

I can not take him with me nor do I feel comfortable adopting him out to someone other than a professional individual or a no kill rescue. If you fit this criteria please call me asap because I need your help!

This is my reply to her:
As an owner of American pit bull terriers for seven years it breaks my heart to say this but if you can't keep your dog it may be most responsible thing to do in having him euthanized.
An American pit bull terrier that is aggressive towards humans is not only a breed flaw but it is also a ticking time bomb.
Most no kill shelters would not take on that responsibility in housing and trying to rehabilitate him.......
I hope you are able to work things out with him but in the end as a responsible owner you may have to make that difficult decision.

----------------------------------

Did I give the best advise? I know some people will say I am telling woman to kill her dog but IMO if she knows the dog is aggressive WHY try and place him?????

Old 04-20-2010, 02:24 PM   #2
Jueqelyl

If I owned a dog with any flaw in temperament, and could not keep the dog myself, I would euthanize.

If I owned a dog that was not stable with people, I would euthanize.

I know how many steady, perfect dogs there are. I love dogs, but dogs are dogs and there are SO MANY of them that need homes. Don't waste a home on a creepy dog.

I love training and I take it seriously, but wobbly temperaments just aren't worth the investment or the risk.

If you were wrong, then so am I. And I'm not bad company.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:24 PM   #3
9mm_fan

This is an ad I just seen on Craigslist:
I have a 4 year old American Pit Bull Terrier that has aggressive tendencies towards other people besides my family. I need to find him a place to go, but I am scared to rehome him on craigslist only because I do not think it is safe for someone else to take him- unless they have a lot of experience working directly aggressive dogs. I am looking for a reputable NO KILL RESCUE to take my dog in less than 2 weeks. I would consider giving him to an individual with experience training dogs having behavioral problems, but I will need to see proof of this. To me, my dog is a big baby. He loves to be cuddled and played with. His biggest problem is that he hasn't been socialized enough with people or other dogs. I wouldn't necessarily call him aggressive, but I will say he is VERY PROTECTIVE of his family. HE IS NOT A FIGHTER HE IS A PROTECTOR! So dog fighters please DO NOT waste your time or your money because you will get nowhere with him.

I can not take him with me nor do I feel comfortable adopting him out to someone other than a professional individual or a no kill rescue. If you fit this criteria please call me asap because I need your help!

This is my reply to her:
As an owner of American pit bull terriers for seven years it breaks my heart to say this but if you can't keep your dog it may be most responsible thing to do in having him euthanized.
An American pit bull terrier that is aggressive towards humans is not only a breed flaw but it is also a ticking time bomb.
Most no kill shelters would not take on that responsibility in housing and trying to rehabilitate him.......
I hope you are able to work things out with him but in the end as a responsible owner you may have to make that difficult decision.

----------------------------------

Did I give the best advise? I know some people will say I am telling woman to kill her dog but IMO if she knows the dog is aggressive WHY try and place him?????
I recently had to go through this with an aggressive dog. After he tried to bite my neice and got myself and my sister I took him and had him put down. He was a threat to my family and my neighbors and my other dogs. Even though we were all set to start working with a behaviorist I had my daughter, my other dogs, the rest of my family, my neighbors and anyone else that could potentially come in contact with him to think about. My husband and I decided the responsible thing to do was put him down. He came to us with problems we thought they were under control but they resurfaced worse than ever a few months ago, he couldn't handle all the change in his life I suppose.

What you told here is exactly what I would have told her. With Milo I could not rehome him, I would not rehome a potentially aggressive dog. I could not have that on my conscience, that some child could get injured because I rehomed him. I think the responsible thing to do in a situation like this is if you can't help the dog go ahead and euthanize as hard as it is. Don't make the dog someone elses problem. I'm still hurting over Milo but there is so much relief there knowing that I am not harboring a dangerous dog anymore.

I'm sure the woman probably won't be happy with your response but it was a responsible suggestion

Old 04-20-2010, 04:24 PM   #4
N9NACzws

I would have suggested putting the dog to sleep as well, unless she is willing to go to a Behaviorist first and see what they have to say.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:37 PM   #5
23InetrySypekek

I agree with the other posters. I also had an aggressive dog that I had to put down. I loved him and it was a very difficult thing to do, but I just couldn't risk him attacking someone else.

This was all before I learned about BSL and the "bully breeds". Now, I am even more in favor of euthanizing HA dogs as its not just about my conscience but about the million other dogs and their owners who are getting a bad rep and laws passed against them because of some bad apples. Say I had decided to rehome my LabxPit and he attacked someone and then our city passed BSL. Well, it would have been my fault that other innocent dogs ended up homeless or euthanized because I was too much of a wuss to face up to the facts and do what was necessary!

Old 04-20-2010, 04:46 PM   #6
DuePew

I hate reading everywhere "he is not aggressive, he is just protecting it's family".

bullsh*t!

Old 04-20-2010, 04:50 PM   #7
Fetowip

I hate reading everywhere "he is not aggressive, he is just protecting it's family".

bullsh*t!
Exactly. Protecting is when a threat presents itself... Not a friendly stranger who isn't being hostile. As an example, my old male shepherd saw a man coming to the fence, talking with Tia when she was tiny, he got there before me, got between the man and Tia and roared are the pervert, tried to bite him, but didn't keep on when the man left.

Then there's my idiot J. Any strange human is a threat in his screwy head. If he was in a typical pet owners possession, and they couldn't keep him, I'd suggest euthing for the public's safety... When he acts up, people say "He's doing his job./He's just protecting you." To which I reply "No, he's being a weak-nerved dog, trying to scare you away because he can't run." And he's a GUARDIAN breed. Not even an APBT.

I would have made my reply a bit longer to the CL poster, better explaining, maybe pointing her here to read, but I agree with your response.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:51 PM   #8
9mm_fan

Now, I am even more in favor of euthanizing HA dogs as its not just about my conscience but about the million other dogs and their owners who are getting a bad rep and laws passed against them because of some bad apples. Say I had decided to rehome my LabxPit and he attacked someone and then our city passed BSL. Well, it would have been my fault that other innocent dogs ended up homeless or euthanized because I was too much of a wuss to face up to the facts and do what was necessary!
Thats a really good point

Old 04-20-2010, 04:52 PM   #9
GentlieGant

I've heard that way too many times coming from the mouths of pit bull and pit bull mixes' owners.
"My dog is not aggressive, he is protective of his pack, his food, etc."
"My dog will only attack a stranger"
"My dog is shy meeting people that's why he bares teeth at you"
Blah-blah-blah - it is all called unstable temperament in the pit bull and mixes, no training will fix it, I do not believe these are behavioral issues.
If you are willing to take on the responsibility and realize the dangers and rules to follow associated with owning such animal - kudos to you, as long as your dog does not become a reflection of the breed for others.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:54 PM   #10
VottCetaVeivE

Na, you ain't wrong. I would have told her the same thing. Then gave her this sites address so she can read what the CORRECT temperment should be.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:09 PM   #11
Fetowip

If her ad is still up, send her a link to PB-C, and some on the correct APBT temperament, why they should either keep or euth and ect.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:13 PM   #12
skupaemauto

I agree PTS its not normal behavior if you cared about the dog why would you rehome a dog that has HA

Old 04-20-2010, 07:42 PM   #13
TeveVikep

I am looking for a reputable NO KILL RESCUE to take my dog in less than 2 weeks.
if the APBT is Human aggressive, unstable/unsound.. :'( then it needs to be euthanized. I really, really wish people would stop having bleeding hearts and thinking they can save them all. :'( :'( YOU CAN'T SAVE THEM ALL. You will never be able to save every dog!! and i'm sorry but i think its selfish and cruel to keep a unstable/unsound/human aggressive dog alive :'(
the human aggressive APBT needs to be euthanized/culled/PTS. :'(

http://www.realpitbull.com/files/GuidetoPitBullTemp.pdf
The temperament correct Pit Bull….

….towards people: Is a friendly, happy, outgoing dog, never shy or fearful. Is a dog that demonstrates mental soundness (no growling, snapping, biting, aggressing, or fearful behavior, etc.) at all times, even under stressful circumstances (such as while under veterinary examination, when injured, during visits to new locations/environments, while meeting new and different types of people, etc.). Is accepting of and friendly towards all adults and children inside and outside the home. Greets new people as if they were long lost friends.

….Is easy to handle, allows and even enjoys extensive touch and examination; is biddable and deferential, and even submissive; seeks out human attention, and presents good eye contact with a soft gaze. Is willing to connect with people during points of high arousal/stress (never redirecting aggression towards people), is safely handled during points of high arousal/stress, and lowers level of arousal quickly upon being removed from a stressful or exciting situation. Is accepting of reasonable confinement such as is necessary during kenneling at shelters; adjusts to new settings easily.
….Is never wary of strangers; never snaps or growls at adults or children, nor is aggressive in any way towards adults or children; does not demonstrate predatory behavior such as stalking, staring down, or aggressive chasing of people/children. Is not a guardian or protection breed, and does not demonstrate "protective" behaviors such as growling/snapping/aggressing at people welcomed into the home, nor wariness of strangers, lunging towards strangers, etc.
Key Points: The Pit Bull is a friendly, stable dog that in essence "loves everyone". It is never shy or fearful. Aggression towards humans (adults or children) is never acceptable, and the Pit Bull should demonstrate soundness in temperament regardless of circumstances or environment. The Pit Bull is not a guard or protection breed and should never act as such, although the breed has been known to come to the aid of its humans only under real and true (never perceived or misinterpreted) threat.

http://www.pitbulllovers.com/pitbull...mperament.html
A Word about Human Aggression
Human aggression in the Pit Bull is rare. Those individuals who show this trait should be
eliminated (put to sleep).
There is simply no room in our world for a Pit Bull that bites people or is capable of biting people.
In short a human aggressive Pit Bull is a Pit Bull that should be put to sleep. No exceptions.

http://www.pitbulllovers.com/pit-bulls-and-human-aggression.html
Aggressive Towards Humans
A correct Pit Bull will never be aggressive with people. The Pit Bull has been bred for centuries to be a human-friendly dog.
It is not a guardian breed, and therefore should not display suspicion towards strangers or view them as potential threats. It is uncommon for a Pit Bull to be overly shy.
The Pit Bull is likely to meet all strangers with an open heart and a wagging tail. A normal Pit Bull looks upon all people as friends unless their actions prove otherwise.
Generally Pit Bulls are submissive with people and confident in their surroundings, making for a well-adjusted family dog. Since times past when the Pit Bull was used for hunting of large game and as a farm dog, it has been a cherished fixture of family life.
The Pit Bull has a special fondness for children and a pleased, relaxed look crosses its face when they approach. It can prove to be a safe, hardy friend that can keep up and put up with the active play life of kids. For a child, no better companion can be found.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:05 PM   #14
oxixernibioge

I do not think you're in the wrong either.

If I had a dog like that, he/she would be PTS. I would not even think of rehoming. That dog is her responsibility and she shouldn't be so irresponsible thinking he'll be happy in another home.

A human aggressive dog as we all is not happy. If she has contacted you back, I would tell her to spoil him for a few hours, let him do a few of his favorite things, playing ball whatever and give him his favorite food or just a can of yummy dog food that he likes then go to the vet be with him to be euthanized.

It may be harsh, but it's the reality of this situation. It sounds like she loves this dog very much and having the dog PTS isn't what she wants to hear but she should PTS before something bad happens.

I really can't stand people like that thinking everything will be OK if they pass the buck onto someone else.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:15 PM   #15
TeveVikep

i really wish people would stop having bleeding hearts and the whole "i love my dog so much, i don't want him PTS. i want to keep him alive and sent to a no kill rescue/sanctuary/shelter for the rest of his life" bullshit. YOU CAN'T SAVE THEM ALL!! YOU WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO SAVE EVERY DOG!! :'(

Old 04-20-2010, 08:24 PM   #16
VottCetaVeivE

LOL @ APBT. I feel you, but you can't get riled at the stupidity of others. It ain't healthy plus you would be mad 24/7/365. And that is never good.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:03 AM   #17
first_pr

Notice when she says" HE'S A BIG BABY AND LOVES TO CUDDLE" Do you think she runs the family or the dog?? Has anyone thought of this angle yet? He could be acting a fool cause he thinks he's the boss, and needs a hardass on his case who won't let him get away with it. If it was me I would take him and try this out, if it don't work, well down he goes. I like to give the dogs benefit of the doubt, cause when we get fools owning dogs that actually own THEM, we are all in a mess.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:15 PM   #18
hopertveyk

A reply I got to my post to the Craigslist ad...

Why would you post such a thing? Why do you idiots always post a message on CL so other people can read your "glorious wisdom" instead of contacting the person directly?

You are SUCH an expert about a dog you have NEVER EVEN SEEN!

What gives you the right to give your "expert advice"?

Plus your posting that message is against CL TOS. Your post is not needed because she gave a phone number to call... but you don't have the guts to give the same misguided info over the phone where they could say something back.

Your post just added fire to the wild fire already burning out of control that the bully breeds need to be banned because they are "ticking time bomb's".

Dogs are like people in some ways, everyone is different and they must be handled individually.

I have a wonderful Amstaff stray that I found in traffic about 8 months ago that I am fostering. When I first found her she was aggressive towards our dogs so I kept her outside for a few months. Now she is inside with our other dogs and has improved 98%.

Your spouting off may have killed this dog and 20 others or because you just wanted to post your "expert advice" for ALL TO SEE....

If you are such an expert then take the dog and work with it.... make a difference or shut the f up!

Re: I AM LOOKING FOR A NO KILL RESCUE TO TAKE MY DOG ASAP I AM MOVING!

Old 04-21-2010, 03:23 PM   #19
23InetrySypekek

Wow! Love the reply you got from another bleeding heart that can't look at the big picture.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:26 PM   #20
Fdmnrnba

How ridiculous. You did the right thing. You can't help the bleeding heart people. And really "i put my dog outside and it became better" WTH is that?

Reply to Thread New Thread