LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 04-13-2010, 05:19 PM   #1
PetrZimin

I enjoy his show and feel it is 85% entertainment and 15% dog training. I don't think every one can or should train a dog like Cesar. But, I think he is very good with his method. His basic principles of Excercise, Discipline and then affection, however are what every dog owner should practice. I've also read his book, which gives a good insight into his background and there is some but not a lot of scientific studies that do support his methods.
What I have learned from him is that my dog is a dog first. Humanizing her behaviors only makes life frustrating for her and me. Also, excercise and walking are the key to a happy dog. I walk her twice a day and it really makes for a very calm enjoyable animal to have around the house.
If people watch his show and learn that their dog needs daily exercise, it is not alright for your dog to jump up on others and that there are appropriate times to give affection, then he's done more for american dog owners than any other dog trainer has done in the past.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:32 PM   #2
PharmaDrMan

Definitely points to the owners responsibility/ownership of issues.

Advocate of stimiluation/exercise.

Not really a dog trainer...more of a dog rehab person.

I think he means well but TV /Stardom has possibly poluted his clear thinking.

Is not a specific breed expert...basically a pack mentality student.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:23 PM   #3
Duaceanceksm

The thing most people don't realize is, Cesar tapes probably 6-8 hours a day, 5-6 days a week, maybe even for several weeks with the same dog... and you see 20 minutes (gotta give the sponsors 10 minutes of commercial time), so you see 20 minutes out of hours and hours of footage. They cut and edit that 20 minutes to be the best 20 minutes out of those hours and hours of taping, the rest ends up on the edit room floor. You only see the good parts, the best parts that will portray Cesar in the most positive light... there''s no telling what is involved in the rest of those hours of taping.

It's entertainment plain and simple. Cesar is on TV because he makes really good money entertaining. His job, basically, is to be a "character" on a TV show. As long as you watch it for entertainment purposes only, you're fine.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:31 PM   #4
phenterminediett

what do you guys think about him?

Well there are already several threads about this subject... I personally don't care for him... he treats every dog as the same when they just aren't. A chihuahua is not an APBT...

Do you like his training methods? His view on breeds such as the apbt?

the day I see him poke a truly gamebred, truly hot American Pit Bull Terrier in the chest and say "Shhhh!" and that magically stops the dog from wanting to fight... then I'll be impressed. The only "pit bulls" I've seen him work with are Amstaffs or AmBullys.. like that hippo of a cull Daddy that he was always parading around.

Tell me what you think of the guy
That about sums up what I think of him.... he should've been deported before he got married.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:44 PM   #5
tq4F7YKs

I think, like with most any trainer, there are things that people will like and will not like. I think for HIM his methods work well most of the time (I havnt been able to watch his shows in a long time as I no longer get that channel) but the average person cannot expect those same results becuase most people will not be able to master the energy he has. Hes natually a calmer person which makes his methods work well for him. I used to be one of those avid followers at first but once I got harley and actually tried things myself I was like ok this is never going to work. I cannot reproduce that same result. -eye opener- every dog is different and some methods work with some and others need other methods lol same with people when they are training dogs. Some of his gerneral ideas have taught me a lot, exercise, treating a dog like a dog and not a human, being calm and not getting excited unless you want the same from your dog...

As for APBTs I think he does a good job for showing them in a positive light, for the dogs they really are BUT as the same time, double edge sword, Im sure many people think they can just go out and own one because they are 'just like any other breed' and thats when the problems start.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:25 PM   #6
chadnezzrr

he should've been deported before he got married.
now thats funny

Old 04-13-2010, 11:57 PM   #7
IrrettelatWet

I like to think back to the old saying "Ask any trainer and they will tell you that 75% of the other trainer out there are wrong". I think it all depends on what you as a person want to use for your dog *shrugs* Personally I just him over other 'trainers' i've seen, even if he isn't exactly a trainer. I'm not what you would call a fan but I have read his books and I will say, as a behaviorist I find him interesting.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:32 AM   #8
phenterminediett

Its true... he was illegal... my mom read his book.

now thats funny

Old 04-14-2010, 02:28 AM   #9
nizcreare

That about sums up what I think of him.... he should've been deported before he got married.
if you take this offensive that is fine
That is a ignorant statement to make. everyone of us came here from somewhere else Cesar is not a drain on society he is positive influence for many even if you do not agree with his training methods do not need to throw a racial statement in here

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 PM ----------

should say everyone of us has family that came from somewhere else unless your American Indian. and the settlers took a large portion of Mexico away for no other reason than they could

Old 04-14-2010, 02:49 AM   #10
Dndjzirw

His basic principles, excersize, dicipline, then affection, should be used by any and every dog owner. Excersize(as we all know) can help IMMENSLY with vices. Digging, chewing, and such. Dicipline, well, duh. Affection, the reason we own dogs, to be our friends companions, and to love us. Not all of his methods will work for everyone, or every dog. And every time a "powerful breed" dog comes on the show, he ALWAYS SAYS, these dogs aren't for everyone. A good message to tell people. He has put pits in a good light, shown people that they aren't mindless killers. He has saved many lives. Who (when kept up w/) have gone on to lead happy, healthy, balanced lives. No one can deny the good he has done, wether u agree with his methods or not. A break stick isn't the ONLY WAY, to break up fights, he's done well when pits or others, grab on and won't release. He's not very concerned with his own safty though. Quite bold, and may not be the best thing to suggest to an inexperinced person. But keep up the good work Cesar.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:37 AM   #11
chadnezzrr

Its true... he was illegal... my mom read his book.
yea i know its just funny the way you said it, i 100% agree with you

do not need to throw a racial statement in here
I read that statement several times and i failed to see where he mentioned ANYTHING about a specific race?? If im missing something please let me know. He simply stated that him being an illegal immigrant he should have been deported. If he would have said that "wetback" should have been deported then it would be different. Im 100% positive that if Ceaser was a white european who was here illegaly he would have said the same thing

if i missed something please let me know

---------- Post added at 08:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

A break stick isn't the ONLY WAY, to break up fights, he's done well when pits or others, grab on and won't release.
ok first of all break sticks are the safest and most effective way to release a terriers jaw when it has a hold. If he truly wanted to teach responsible pit bull ownership he would talk about break sticks every chance he gets

second of all exactly when the hell have you seen a pit bull on his show?? ive never seen one

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 PM ----------

should say everyone of us has family that came from somewhere else
correct but none of my family (that i know of and if i ever find out different ill say there asses should have been deported) broke any laws to get here

there is a legal immigration process why the fuck cant people do it the right way?

Old 04-14-2010, 03:37 AM   #12
immelawealecy

Im 100% positive that if Ceaser was a white european who was here illegaly he would have said the same thing
So true, I know of a lady living in Durham, she is from Poland (where some of my ancestors came from), and she is here Illegally. I don't think she should get to stay and anyone else should get deported. She is breaking the law, and needs to be deported.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:38 AM   #13
nizcreare

We need to be Honest with ourselves.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:40 AM   #14
chadnezzrr

So true, I know of a lady living in Durham, she is from Poland (where some of my ancestors came from), and she is here Illegally. I don't think she should get to stay and anyone else should get deported. She is breaking the law, and needs to be deported.
i agree 100% i see no difference between her and someone who came from mexico. An illegal alien is an illegal alien i dont give a damn what color or nationality you come from

Old 04-14-2010, 03:43 AM   #15
nizcreare

Budboy unless your American Indian your family came here and stole the land away. thats a fact also alot of Mexico was stolen as well

Old 04-14-2010, 03:49 AM   #16
chadnezzrr

Budboy unless your American Indian your family came here and stole the land away. thats a fact also alot of Mexico was stolen as well
well what do you want me to say?? they were pieces of shit for doing that i cant change that. We have laws now that need to be followed.

anyway im done with this before the naz...err mods get on to me

Old 04-14-2010, 03:51 AM   #17
nizcreare

Cesar came here to better his life the same as your ancestors and has not been using our government aid and is a productive member of society and has gotten his citizenship Mexican Migrant workers have been coming here for years and picking the fruits and vegetables that feed many Americans they do jobs that no one else wants to do

Old 04-14-2010, 03:56 AM   #18
immelawealecy

Feel free to start this in the heated debate section.

I have to say I'll agree to disagree, Hogar, since, this isn't the place to debate it.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:58 AM   #19
rujeltaoser

I like to think back to the old saying "Ask any trainer and they will tell you that 75% of the other trainer out there are wrong". I think it all depends on what you as a person want to use for your dog *shrugs* Personally I just him over other 'trainers' i've seen, even if he isn't exactly a trainer. I'm not what you would call a fan but I have read his books and I will say, as a behaviorist I find him interesting.
Second that. In all seriousness guys I think he's cool And he does have helpful tips. I'd rather take his advice on anything other than that so called "It's me or the dog" Victoria Stelwell.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:59 AM   #20
nizcreare

Feel free to start this in the heated debate section.

I have to say I'll agree to disagree, Hogar, since, this isn't the place to debate it.
No I am done and think best to let it go

Reply to Thread New Thread