LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 03-16-2010, 03:34 PM   #1
Wmshyrga

Default Look what I found
Found this little guy behind my house this morning. No tag and tethered to a pole. His fur is looking ruff but seems healthy. I gave him food, water and treats. I called AC and sent an email to the person that runs the rescue I help out at.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:37 PM   #2
cQT6nmEc

Poor thing!! Looks like he could have Demodex, but I don't see any open sores, so it could be hair loss due to another issue. Any chances of you being able to take him in for a vet check? Keep us updated on his condition. Best of luck with the little guy, he looks like a sweetie.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:40 PM   #3
GaxyGroordrep

Oh, poor baby!

Do you think someone tied him there so you would find him?

Old 03-16-2010, 03:49 PM   #4
Wmshyrga

Poor thing!! Looks like he could have Demodex, but I don't see any open sores, so it could be hair loss due to another issue. Any chances of you being able to take him in for a vet check? Keep us updated on his condition. Best of luck with the little guy, he looks like a sweetie.
I didn't see any open sores either. There did appear to be some scabs on his back. I'm still waiting for AC to get here. They will hold him for 4 days which will hopefully give me enough time to make arrangements with a rescue.

---------- Post added at 09:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 AM ----------

Oh, poor baby!

Do you think someone tied him there so you would find him?
I have never seen the dog before. I also don't associate with people who would do or know people who would do this, so I think it was just random.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:54 PM   #5
Nothatspecial

What a cutie!

Old 03-16-2010, 05:03 PM   #6
unlomarma

Why would someone just do that? Abandon a dog like that? Hes a cute looking guy. Thanks for treating him kindly, looking at that sad face, Im not sure anyone ever has.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:06 PM   #7
ashleyjoseph

If anyone has seen your dog, they probably did that so you WOULD find him. For some reason if people know you have german shepherds, when they want theirs gone they run to you, even if you've never met them... Same with bulldogs...

You can't foster him? Chances are, with mange, if it's a kill shelter he's going to be put down...

Old 03-16-2010, 05:31 PM   #8
Wmshyrga

Why would someone just do that? Abandon a dog like that? Hes a cute looking guy. Thanks for treating him kindly, looking at that sad face, Im not sure anyone ever has.
It is beyond me how people can be so cruel.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:32 PM   #9
xochex

Poor guy! Hope you get the rescue to bust him out ASAP!!

Old 03-16-2010, 05:36 PM   #10
Wmshyrga

If anyone has seen your dog, they probably did that so you WOULD find him. For some reason if people know you have german shepherds, when they want theirs gone they run to you, even if you've never met them... Same with bulldogs...

You can't foster him? Chances are, with mange, if it's a kill shelter he's going to be put down...
I have reached out to the rescue I help out at. My dog Rocko is not the best around other dogs, so me fostering might not be the best option.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:45 PM   #11
timgreyuvcz

For short term fostering, could you crate and rotate?

Around here (and I realize it may be different in your area), most (not all) shelters would euth him sooner, rather than later because of what appears to be a skin condition of some sort ...

I love his socks

Old 03-16-2010, 06:00 PM   #12
Wmshyrga

For short term fostering, could you crate and rotate?

Around here (and I realize it may be different in your area), most (not all) shelters would euth him sooner, rather than later because of what appears to be a skin condition of some sort ...

I love his socks
The girlfriend and I are going to talk about fostering when we get off work tonight. I am going to follow up with AC during lunch today to make sure they got him and I will see how long they are going to hold him. They said 4 days was standard policy. Baltimore County will not adopt out anything "pit bull" but I should be able to go through the rescue to get him back.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:27 PM   #13
Wmshyrga

AC has him now. They are going to evaluate his health and temperament and said to call back later. His temperament was fine with me. He was very scared at first, but after I feed him he warmed up to me quickly. Health I don't know about. It is obvious that he is having some skin issues but I didn’t see any open sores and it looked like he was able to put weight on all 4 limbs. He crushed the food I gave him and it seemed to say down. The GF and I will talk when we get home from work. I would love to foster the little guy but we will have to see.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:35 PM   #14
Xodvbooj

If I knew anyone near you id have them get him, but all I can do is pray for him.. thank you for doing what you can..

Old 03-16-2010, 08:40 PM   #15
ZXRamon

The girlfriend and I are going to talk about fostering when we get off work tonight. I am going to follow up with AC during lunch today to make sure they got him and I will see how long they are going to hold him. They said 4 days was standard policy. Baltimore County will not adopt out anything "pit bull" but I should be able to go through the rescue to get him back.
You sure? The humane society up on nicodemus has pit bulls up for adoption.
I wish I could foster him, but my landlord would kill me. We already have 3 dogs here, so asking him for a 4th would be farfetched.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:51 PM   #16
Cajlwdvx

He is so cute. Thanks for helping him and I hope all turns out well for this little guy.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:37 AM   #17
Axxflcaj

What a sweet boy! Thank you so much for looking after him. I hope he passes his temperament test and can be adopted to someone who will love him like he deserves.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:53 AM   #18
Wmshyrga

You sure? The humane society up on nicodemus has pit bulls up for adoption.
I wish I could foster him, but my landlord would kill me. We already have 3 dogs here, so asking him for a 4th would be farfetched.
You are correct that the Humane Society (HS) will adopt out pit bulls. Animal Control (AC) will not. The dog was picked up by AC. HS will not take strays to my knowledge. I believe you have to prove ownership to drop a dog off at HS. Though AC will not adopt pit bulls to the general public they work with various rescues in the area find placement for certain dogs

Old 03-17-2010, 01:55 AM   #19
ZXRamon

You are correct that the Humane Society (HS) will adopt out pit bulls. Animal Control (AC) will not. The dog was picked up by AC. HS will not take strays to my knowlegde. I believe you have to prove ownership to drop a dog off at HS. Though AC will not adopt pit bulls to the general public they work with various rescues in the area find placement for certain dogs.
Oh, hmm, ok. Weird, but ok. Did AC say how long they could hold him and that they were ok giving him to the rescue?

Old 03-17-2010, 02:09 AM   #20
Wmshyrga

AC will hold a stray for 4 days to allow owners time to claim the dog. Assuming the dog is in good health, passes their temperament check and is not claimed, I guess they would allow some one to take the dog ASAP. I spoke with the lady who runs the rescue I help out at and she has put the gears in motion to see if anyone has room.

Reply to Thread New Thread