LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 03-15-2010, 01:22 AM   #1
F1grandprix

Default just wondering if anyone has experience with english bulldogs?
A few weeks ago I played with an adorable english bulldog and fell in love with all her wrinkles!! I've done some research on line about the breed but I thought maybe you guys would have some first hand experience to share! I know about keeping the wrinkles clean - I'm a licensed esthetician so skin care is right up my ally hehe. Also that they are heat/cold sensitive and need light exercise to stay healthy since they tend to be couch potatoes. I also read about some of their health issues. What else should I know about before I get one? I do have a bully at home already but Homer is well socialized and an all around good dog. I'm no dog whisperer but I definitely trust Homer to be around a wide variety of pets and people of all ages without any problems.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:31 AM   #2
ZXRamon

Any new dog should be supervised around your old dog and separated when unsupervised.
English bulldogs can be pushy and dominant, so a female would be best if you have a male dog currently. Remember that they come from the same roots as APBTs and should be regarded as such regarding animal aggression.
They are literally one of the unhealthiest breeds out there, from allergies, to skin infections, upper respiratory issues, joint issues, bloat, eye problems, the list goes on and on.
They're great dogs, for those that want to deal with everything, I just don't have the time or money to deal with all their issues.
That's just my take on it.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:33 AM   #3
QysnZWB4

First thing, read the sticky about always expecting a bulldog to fight. They probably won't if they are well socialized, but the chance is always there. As such, they shouldn't be left alone for long lengths of time.

and buy a break stick

I had a friend that had a bulldog, and i was aways around their house, basically helping to raise/train the dog. They are a lot of fun, but have such a mellow, leave me alone kind of personality, that they don't compare to an apbt to me. Sure, not all bulldogs are ultra-mellow, but most are. That energy level fits a lot of people though!

The bulldog was extremely active as a young dog, but somewhat abruptly got really lazy and fatigued when he turned 4ish.

Plus the bulldog's anal gland needs to be excreted regularly. Always fun. And this dog was very sensitive to his food. He would get rashes with low quality kibble.

Expect stubbornness. And lots and lots of eye-boogers. And crazy slobbering...we chase the dog around with a towel after he drinks to minimize drool puddles...

all that being said, everyone, and i mean everyone, loves a cute english bulldog.

---------- Post added at 07:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

I second that, lilianalove...CRAZY EXPENSIVE. To buy and treat medically.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:36 AM   #4
yarita

ya know how the APBTs ARE NOT FOR EVERYONE AND ANYONE?
the same saying goes for english bulldogs. they are NOT FOR EVERYONE AND ANYONE

Old 03-15-2010, 01:45 AM   #5
F1grandprix

I did read about the health issues that occur from overbreeding but I also read that a responsible breeder would have their dogs go through extensive health testing before they breed to ensure that both dogs were healthy and didn't have any issues that would be passed down and also that any puppy would also have a health certificate stating this info. Also- I would always be supervising allll play and keep them seperate when I'm not home. I already have a break stick for just in case moments. And Homer is 6 and neutered so he's pretty laid back. When he's not stealing my hot pink blanket he's licking his butt haha.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:49 AM   #6
yarita

have you check the english bulldog rescues?

---------- Post added at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

http://www.rescuebulldogs.org/

Old 03-15-2010, 01:50 AM   #7
Patabeamn

No offense to anyone who likes them but I can not see the point in them as they are like a disease lottery and they always win much like the shar-pei.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:54 AM   #8
F1grandprix

Yeah I've been looking at the rescues too...I just want to make sure that I'm well informed before I do anything crazy!

Old 03-15-2010, 01:55 AM   #9
ZXRamon

I did read about the health issues that occur from overbreeding but I also read that a responsible breeder would have their dogs go through extensive health testing before they breed to ensure that both dogs were healthy and didn't have any issues that would be passed down and also that any puppy would also have a health certificate stating this info. Also- I would always be supervising allll play and keep them seperate when I'm not home. I already have a break stick for just in case moments. And Homer is 6 and neutered so he's pretty laid back. When he's not stealing my hot pink blanket he's licking his butt haha.
ALL english bulldogs have health problems. They can test hips/knees/elbows/hearts/whatever they want, but they were created in such a grotesquely unnatural way that there is no avoiding the health issues.
If you really want one, go ahead. They're not for me, but I'm not you (obviously). Do what you feel is right for you and prepare for the inevitable is all I can tell you.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:19 AM   #10
seervezex

My mom always wanted one, and my step dad surprised her with one for Christmas one year. I grew up with him. He is a great dog, but here is what you should definitely know:

Start training very early, because once they get to a certain age the stubbornness kicks in and they become 10x more difficult to train. Also, if they have behavior problems they can be hard to kick because they are VERY strong willed, so nip it in the bud.

They need their wrinkles and ears cleaned, their anal glands need to be excreted, they are very prone to environmental and food allergies. They are prone to skin problems, breathing issues, eye problems, just about every problem you can think of, which you probably know from your research.

You should encourage tracking and sniffing and give them stimulation for their nose to prevent breathing problems.

We got really lucky with our dog. He has minor food and environmental allergies, and gets rashes from certain shampoos. Those are the only problems we had because he exercises a LOT and has stayed in great shape, but that doesn't mean something won't creep up. My mom is the only english bulldog owner that I know who hasn't been put in a situation where they had to pay a LOT of money on numerous occasions to save their dog's life. To be honest, I absolutely love the dog and am so glad that I was able to live with him for a while because he is really loving and has such an awesome personality, but I don't think I would ever get one. He is always uncomfortable and a lot of times just wants to be left alone (especially if he's hot). I feel bad for him most of the time because even though he is the healthiest english bulldog I've heard of, I feel like 90% of the time he is uncomfortable. He can't take the heat, he hates being pestered by other dogs, he panics if even a blanket covers his snout because he can't breathe very well, and he is always breaking out in rashes. If you can't dedicate a LOT of time and money to caring for this breed, they are not the breed for you.

And about the health testing...the healthiest English Bulldog in the world is still prone to a lot of problems. If you are thinking of getting one, be prepared for health problems.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:28 AM   #11
HakSpeame

I'm not sure if I can post this... If not please remove it, but check out Odensenglishbulldogs.com
They are family, take much care of their dogs. They do AI, and C-section, and my cousins wife stays home, as a housewife to take care of the dogs 24/7. Feel free to read on their website. I think they have some very good information on there as well.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:35 AM   #12
yarita

If you can't dedicate a LOT of time and money to caring for this breed, they are not the breed for you. my thoughts exactly. i even mention that they are NOT FOR EVERYONE OR ANYONE (

Old 03-15-2010, 03:03 AM   #13
TeLMgNva

I like English Bulldogs, but would never have one. Most of the ones I've seen have way to many health issues and their personality clashes with mine. Plus my dogs hate them, don't know why, but Casper especially. He even tried to eat a puppy and English Bulldog puppies are way up there on the cute factor.

I thought I wanted a Frenchie until I got to know them better. I adopted one and he didn't get along with my dogs and my mother took him. She adores him and he is cute, but I found out they are not for me. No smushy faced dogs. I can't even stand the Boston Terrier my roommate has. Snorting, snoring, breathing issues drive me nuts.

But everyone is different hence the reason we have over 400 breeds of dogs!

Old 03-15-2010, 03:16 AM   #14
urbalatte

For me,..they are one of the cutest breeds as puppies but most of them grow out of it. Besides every other health issue out there that they have, they're also prone to obesity. English Bulldogs are one of the breeds my boss specializes in and there's not a day that goes by that there's not at least five in for something. When I think about it even that number is hella low.

If you can deal with the constant noises, gas and your wallet can handle the health issues then,...Kudos on your next EB.

But me personally,..I don't care who the breeder is, you couldn't give me an EB.

Old 03-15-2010, 03:24 AM   #15
seervezex

For me,..they are one of the cutest breeds as puppies but most of them grow out of it. Besides every other health issue out there that they have, they're also prone to obesity. English Bulldogs are one of the breeds my boss specializes in and there's not a day that goes by that there's not at least five in for something. When I think about it even that number is hella low.

If you can deal with the constant noises, gas and your wallet can handle the health issues then,...Kudos on your next EB.

But me personally,..I don't care who the breeder is, you couldn't give me an EB.
I think a big reason why a lot of them have health problems also comes from the owners. I can't tell you how many people I have met while walking my mom's EB who come up to me and say "OH HOW CUTE! I have one at home but she doesn't leave the house." or "Wow, yours walks?! Mine just sleeps." People get these dogs because they think it will be great to have a cute little ornament laying on the couch all the time because they hear they are lazy, so they never even give them the chance not to be. Any dog, without exercise, will not only be fat but will have a lot of health problems too.

Old 03-15-2010, 03:52 AM   #16
urbalatte

Don't get me wrong,..its not just the obesity. Humans and pets alike have that issue primarily because of people. But also every other thing that comes along with owning this breed. Most people don't do research before they purchase anything so they don't know what they're getting into until its too late.

Guilty,... because I have done it myself .

But even with exercise they are stubborn dogs, that can and will only do so much and people give in, which leads to more issues. ?There's only so much testing you can do regardless of which ones are chosen to be bred. Everyone of those pups will have issues on top of issues.

I can think of a whole lot better things to do, ways and places to spend my money.

Old 03-15-2010, 04:17 AM   #17
F1grandprix

I really do appreciate everyones input! Like I said I want to be well informed before I bring one home. The puppy was super adorable though! We played for about an hour until she curled up in my lap and took a nap...with minimal snoring and no gas hehe

Old 03-15-2010, 06:43 AM   #18
+++Poguru+++

I had a eng bulldog a while ago. Good lazy dogs. However, if you dont like vet bills dont get one. Lots of problems esp white one.. jmo

Old 03-15-2010, 07:04 AM   #19
beneitpedro

I grew up with English Bulldogs. My mother used to show and breed them. She still loves them and wants to get one but I keep shooting her down. My immediate and extended family owns American Bulldogs now.

They are a genetic mess, and ridden with health issues. They are very prone to heat stroke, obesity, luxating patellas, skin problems, cancer, allergies, digestive upset, etc etc etc.

I really appreciate a bulldog for their irresistible "so ugly its cute" appeal. I was the chick with the ugly, mean snorting bulldog as a kid and teenager. However, I will never own one again. If you plan on owning one, plan on spending a lot of money for managing their health. Get a veterinary insurance plan immediately (they'll screw you on "predisposed conditions") and start putting monthly deposits in a savings account for "just in case."

You may get lucky and get one that is relatively healthy, but that is not likely.

Our English Bulldogs were not dog-friendly. We had two bitches who had to be separated because they fought. The younger one was PTS at the age of 3 for cancer. The queen bee, Linchy lived to very old age (but ended up having cancer and seizures). Linchy wasn't a typical English Bulldog you would see today, though. She was an "import" (we moved to the states from Ukraine, Linchy was from Moscow) and born in the 80's, so didn't look as much like the disfigured fat bulldozers that are typical in modern times. She was VERY intolerant of other dogs and wouldn't get along with them at all.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:27 AM   #20
Imihooniump

Call up your veterinarian and tell him the good news, that his kids will be going to Harvard after all!.

Reply to Thread New Thread