LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 02-12-2010, 12:17 PM   #1
soipguibbom

Default How many of you would consider adopting a disabled dog?
In a perfect world,all dogs would have loving responsible homes for life.Most of us probably wouldn't sneeze at adopting a physically normal dog as a companion. What about ''not so physically normal'' dogs? How many of you would willingly adopt a dog who is blind,deaf,missing limbs,or deformed in some way,if you were a good match home otherwise??

Would you chose a disabled dog over a 'normal' dog in the situation? Why or why not?

Old 02-12-2010, 12:24 PM   #2
Tveabuti

Actually I would.

I kind of fantasize about when I retire (if I get to retire) and have the time to devote to caring for more than 1 dog, adopting some seniors and disabled dogs.

Sort of becoming a cross between a canine hospice and grouphome.

I'm a social worker, so I guess it's just in my nature. Kind of a natural progression to turn it from people to dogs.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:25 PM   #3
jacknates

I've fostered deaf dogs and dogs with a missing limb, and to be honest i really wouldn't mind owning one. If the dog was a match for me why not? A dog with a missing limb get along just as well as any other dog and from what i've seen they really don't seem affected by it in anyway.

I would have no problem owning a deaf dog ethier, though it will be harder to get the dogs attention and to correct the dog, the dog isn't 'ruined' by any means Just a little work and some training and the dog is just like any other, the deaf dogs i fostered seemed way more 'in-tune' with me than dogs that can hear normally...If that makes sense

I've never owned a blind dog or fostered a blind dog, but if the dog was a good match and i thought i could work with it than i'd give it a try...

and whether or not i would choose a 'disabled' dog over a 'normal' dog really depends. if the normal dog is a better match for me than i would choose it..If the disabled dog was a better match than i would choose the disabled one.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:30 PM   #4
Nidsstese

My mother was severely physically handicapped due to a birth defect. She was told she would be dead before 30, lived to 44. She was told she would never walk, but she learned how with the aid of a crutch (which also doubled as a way to trip up kids trying to run from punishment). She was told she couldn't have children, yet she had 4 (1 given up for adoption and 3 she raised).

Because of my mom, I would be the last person to reject a disabled dog. I think it would just depend on the dogs quality of life and how much care the dog needed vs how much I could realistically provide.

Patches(RIP) was blind and deaf the last 6 years of his life. He did fine as long as I didn't move the furniture,lol.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:32 PM   #5
G8whlTAe

I fostered for quite a while a dog that was half blind, and half deaf (result of Neurological Distemper, in which he didn't have the "ticking", he had full-blown grand-maul seizures). He was an amazing dog, and quite well-balanced for technically being "disabled".
As long as the dog was a good match for me, and my situation, I'd give a disabled dog as much consideration as I would a "normal" one. They're all weird, naturally, so it would just be deciding one "quirk" for another.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:42 PM   #6
ticfarentibia

As long as the dog was a good match for me, and my situation, I'd give a disabled dog as much consideration as I would a "normal" one. They're all weird, naturally, so it would just be deciding one "quirk" for another.
This. I would have no issues with a blind or deaf dog, or a dog missing a limb.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:59 PM   #7
soipguibbom

I would have NO qualms adopting a disabled dog.I don't mind what the disability is,as long as I had the ability to provide a safe and benificial enviroment for him/her.

---------- Post added at 06:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 AM ----------

I fostered for quite a while a dog that was half blind, and half deaf (result of Neurological Distemper, in which he didn't have the "ticking", he had full-blown grand-maul seizures). He was an amazing dog, and quite well-balanced for technically being "disabled".
My first pittie Domer,a husky/pit bull mix suffered from seizures.I absolutly LOVED him,he was the most wonderful dog.He's the dog that got me into the pit bull breed.He took the grand mals as well.He was unfortunatly not epileptic,he had cancer wich had neurologic involvement.We think we must have ''missed'' a growth in his ear (he had them even as a young pup wich we kept close eye on and anything we saw got removed/biopsied).When we found it,it was ''too late'' and though we had it removed,the biopsy results were cancerous. It had spread to the brain and eye.We kept him comfortable,loved him,and when he was ''ready'' we had him humanely euthinised.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:01 PM   #8
pavilionnotebook

I might not be able to handle a blind dog or a dog in a doggie-wheelchair, but I've loved working with the deaf/hard of hearing dogs. Missing limbs are fine for me as are a lot of medical issues, ex. diabetes (as long as I feel I'm in a spot to afford the long-term care).

Old 02-12-2010, 01:08 PM   #9
Nidsstese

The thing that concerns me about a dog with seizures is that some of them bite randomly when they aren't "all there". The experience my Aunt had with her cattle dog mix, KC, was heartbreaking. KC had seizures starting at about age 3. Vet said it was epilepsy and he was put on meds. He nipped the kids a few times before and after the worse of his seizures. He also got progressively worse over the next couple years and was maxed out on meds with seizures coming frequently and starting to do brain damage. He had to be put down on Christmas Eve. He had been with the family his whole life and everyone was so sad over the holidays.

My concern with a dog missing a limb is the strain it puts on the other limbs. I would be concerned that there would be future joint and tendon problems forcing the removal of the remaining limb or euthanasia.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:59 PM   #10
kHy87gPC

The thing that concerns me about a dog with seizures is that some of them bite randomly when they aren't "all there". The experience my Aunt had with her cattle dog mix, KC, was heartbreaking. KC had seizures starting at about age 3. Vet said it was epilepsy and he was put on meds. He nipped the kids a few times before and after the worse of his seizures. He also got progressively worse over the next couple years and was maxed out on meds with seizures coming frequently and starting to do brain damage. He had to be put down on Christmas Eve. He had been with the family his whole life and everyone was so sad over the holidays.

My concern with a dog missing a limb is the strain it puts on the other limbs. I would be concerned that there would be future joint and tendon problems forcing the removal of the remaining limb or euthanasia.
they really do. first 12-24hours after, you do NOT wanna piss your epileptic dog off in any way.. been there done that.

so, having that i own a i guess you could say disabled dog, (epilepsy and an injury to the leg which hopefully will have surgery on asap) and i guess ill be the first to admit that i absolutely dispise it. im just not the type of person who would have the patience for something that loses his mind constantly, having to retrain the dog all the time, having to watch how much i feed him because hes not allowed exercise, its just not my thing. ill deal with it, sure as hell wont get rid of him, but would i willingly adopt another? no.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:37 PM   #11
AbraroLib

I would not mind a dog missing a leg, blind, or deft, I mean there is a challenge to it of course but I see a fully abled dog there, the dog of my childhood ended up going blind, and deft before we put it down, so its not that bad, yea by the time it lost its hearing it could not do commands but if its 1 or the other its fine, and a loss of limb is and isn't a disability to me, as long as it can still run and play.
but a dog that cannot walk I would not be able to deal with again. To much money is the main thing, also to much to do, cleaning the dog after it scoots over poop, cleaning the dog after it scoots over pee, I have delt with it and its not fun. I feel its not the life a dog needs, if the dog cannot get on its paws then really for the dog its not life to live, I have seen it and it is very sad, a dog that used to love to play with balls, and other dogs, place chase cannot any longer and has no desire to try.

---------- Post added at 09:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 AM ----------

o and I would not be able to deal with a mental disability like seizers because they can bite randomly and such, but if it was one that did not then yes.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:39 PM   #12
freeringtonesioo

Missing limb,blind or deaf I could probably handle but nothing with a whole lot of medical bills. I've had a beagle with 1 eye and a deaf doxie. So I could handle those.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:42 PM   #13
Rounteetepe

I own/foster deaf dogs. My previous Greyhound had a leg amputated due to cancer. We've had dogs with seizures and we managed, but I wouldn't adopt one knowing it had seizures b/c of the amount of dogs I have. They will attack a dog when it goes into a seizure.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:21 PM   #14
Cgnebksb

I would adopt a disabled dog. I have a soft spot for the old senior grandpa dogs

Old 02-12-2010, 03:32 PM   #15
dogdesign

no I would not seek out a handicapped dog as a pet because of the fear of a shortened life span but if one randomly showed up on my doorstep so to speak I would reconsider

Old 02-12-2010, 04:39 PM   #16
GreefeWrereon

I would. In fact, we recently adopted a special needs kitten. She had been hit by a car & has been left with some physical difficulties as a result. We love her all the more for her "specialness" (actually my husband even named her "special kitty!" lol).

Happy holidays!

Old 02-12-2010, 04:47 PM   #17
lapyignipinge

I don't think I have the right home for a blind dog.. no way. I think it's too hectic and changing.

I've had a deaf dog, no problem. In fact she was more attentive than the normal ones, because she kept her eyes and attention on me for signals..

Missing limbs is no issue. In fact I nearly adopt a tiny bulldog pup named Stubby who's mother had chewed most of his toes/feet off and he needed lots of special care..

A dog with a wheelchair I don't think I could do. Same reasons as a blind dog, wrong home for one..

Old 02-12-2010, 04:53 PM   #18
ChrisGoldstein

I would love to be able to adopt a disabled dog or cat. Ive read stories where they mention disabled dogs are harder to adopt and it breaks my heart. I just dont get how people can throw away a dog when it has a disablility. My only concern which would currently keep me from doing it is the medical side. I would have to be in a financially good position before I would adopt one becuase I wouldnt want to have one that I couldnt treat if it needed (and usually disabled dogs tend to have more vet visits).

Old 02-12-2010, 05:03 PM   #19
Domovoy

I would adopt a disabled dog but this is depending on the disability. I know many will not like this statement but I believe some people are selfish and will keep a dog around for selfish reasons even though clearly quality of life is gone and the only person gaining from keep the animal alive is the Human. I have seen animals up for adoption in no-kill shelters that should have clearly been PTS. and allowed space for a animal that could possibly be adopted and have a quality life

Old 02-12-2010, 05:05 PM   #20
EbrsaRynleot

Actually I would. I almost took in a deaf boxer a few months ago. That had been tied out in the cold. The coldest night of the year finally a relative of mine did something about it. (It belonged to my aunts brother and because the dog was deaf he was useless to him so he left him out in the cold and wasn't even feeding him and his water was frozen) If I hadn't been able to get him into a rescue with a foster home, he would have been my foster. And if he had been my foster he would have been a foster fail.

This dog however was very hyper and had no manners and would jump on people. He was only 8 months old. And being pregnant I knew it would be a bad idea to take him in, however I was willing too if my rescue contact could not help. Luckily he got into the rescue with a foster that was experienced with boxers with dissabilities and she was able to train him through hand motions. And he was adopted about 5 months ago.

I've had a deaf dog before so I wouldn't hesistate in helping one out or giving one a home. Same with a dog that is missing a limb or blind. Though a blind dog would be the hardest challege. Ofcourse it all depends on the dogs quality of life and so forth. Personally I'd be more likely if I were to take in a dog with a dissability to take in a deaf dog over any other dissablities. Probably because of the experience I've had with deaf dogs.

Reply to Thread New Thread