LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 02-25-2010, 09:46 PM   #1
Galinastva

Default Put your f$%king dog on a leash
I am SO frustrated. I live on Camp Pendleton. As I am sure most of you know any dog on the "dangerous dog list" has been banned. The only exception to these dogs are the ones that were here before the ban came into effect. Owning Macho, I know I am walking on a VERY short leash. All it will take is one incident and he's out of here. So I am not just careful with him, I am constantly trying to stay one step ahead so nothing happens.

Today I was taking Macho out for the daily 2 mile loop. Some idiot had her mutt laying in an UNFENCED front yard with NO tie out or leash. Nothing. He's just hangin out. Of course I didnt see the dog because from the direction I was coming from, her big damn SUV was blocking her yard. Well of course her dog bolted from the front yard and was all up in Machos face. Thankfully Ive worked hard enough with Macho that he got excited but in control.........

I swear its an idiots world out there.....and I know that IF it had resulted in a fight no one would hear of the mutt starting it it would just be another incident involving a pit bull...........

Old 02-25-2010, 09:55 PM   #2
ImmitsRom

Steel toed boots, a cell phone with a camera, a break stick and an extra leash. What every bully breed owner should have on walks. If you pass them again and their dog is not secured, make sure to take pictures to protect your dog just in case.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:56 PM   #3
kertUtire

Are there any leash laws there ?
I would report the incident.
I would carry a phone/camera as well.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:06 PM   #4
Galinastva

There are leash laws and the signs are posted EVERYWHERE

When it happens next, and I know it will I will report it and have my camera on my cell phone ready

Its just so aggravating. I mean come on people if your yard isnt fenced, and your yard dead ends to the street, if not to protect your dog from being hit by a car alone why wouldnt you at least tie it up??

Old 02-25-2010, 10:06 PM   #5
blogwado

My boyfriend's Sister had her little JRT/Chi mix running loose today with his leash dragging on the ground, and I had to hold Locus, and it took her forever to come get him. She kept calling him, but he wasn't going to come. I thought to myself, why even put the leash on the dog, if you are just letting it run loose? Grr..

I feel for you.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:08 PM   #6
Galinastva

My boyfriend's Sister had her little JRT/Chi mix running loose today with his leash dragging on the ground, and I had to hold Locus, and it took her forever to come get him. She kept calling him, but he wasn't going to come. I thought to myself, why even put the leash on the dog, if you are just letting it run loose? Grr..

I feel for you.
OMG Ive seen that. Yeah so technically you have a leash on the dog. What good is it going to do you when your end is 30 feet away from you

Old 02-25-2010, 10:13 PM   #7
Ephejvll

This is a huge pet peeve of mine and I don't even have an APBT currently. In my apartment complex it's more common to see an off-leash dog than on-leash. Extremely frustrating especially when you're trying to pull out of a parking space and someone is letting their little dog run around 5 feet away from your car.

One of my roommates has two little pet store mutts that she never leashes either. One of them was attacked and injured by a Beagle (who was leashed - albeit on a Flexi, but leashed nonetheless) and she had the nerve to complain to me about the "aggressive" dog...yet she still doesn't leash her damn dogs. Some people just don't get it.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:18 PM   #8
deermealec

I tried to find the regulations that are written in regards to the laws/ordinances or whatever but I was unable to. I personally would contact the Base Veterinary Clinic and see if they could furnish you a copy of the base's regulations in regards to animals. Always good to know every animal law/regulation for the area. Also, good idea to have the number programmed in your cell phone if you don't already. Good Luck with dealing with idiot neighbors... sucks that they seem to be around every corner... some of which think they don't have to abide by the laws.

Camp Pendleton MCB
"For information concerning pet regulations, adoptions or requests for animal control service, contact the Base Veterinary Clinic at (760) 725-3439. Operating hours are from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Tuesday through Saturday."

Old 02-25-2010, 10:18 PM   #9
medio

I just moved into a new town house community/complex, and my neighbors 3 doors down have a german sheppard that they let out in the COMMON AREA to relieve himself all the time! Like its their personal effin yard!!!!

When i am walking to my own front door the dog is sometimes wandering around looking for a place to poop. I politely knocked on their door and let them know that i just moved in with a very energized APBT pup. I reminded her that it was against the law in our county for your dog to be unsecured in public. Since then i have not seen her dog outside.

Idiots i tell you!

Old 02-25-2010, 10:37 PM   #10
AndrewBoss

As wrong as this sounds, I have been looking at very nice basket-weave muzzles. My dog is fairly dog tolerant and can work side by side with any dog. However, if some dog jumped him, I have no doubt he would go off.

I'm pretty good at scaring the living crap out of approaching dogs, but if there ever is one that doesn't back down or slips by me, I want my dog to be safe. I just have to weigh that against making mine look mean, which he flat-out isn't.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:03 PM   #11
ZZChristopher

I can relate. My new neighbor has this dog (lab mix?) who is never on a leash. I don't even think this guy has heard of a collar. The dog listens very well and usually doesn't leave the guys side, but all it takes is one mistake and his or another persons pet is in trouble. Keoki is great with other dogs and heck, he even loves cats, but I will NEVER let him out anywhere without a leash.

I usually bring mace or a stick on walks just in case anyway because people in my area just do whatever the like when it comes to controlling their pets.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:03 PM   #12
gundorana

I'm going to tell you what happened to me a couple of weeks ago.

I work in the claims office of an insurance company, so we deal with people complaining that they didn't get paid enough, they want more, we're ripping them off, blah, blah, blah... whatever.

This guy calls a couple of weeks ago raising cane because he got a letter from us stating that we were reimbursing the person that hit his dog their deductible (it's call subrogation against us, and when they paid for their vehicle repairs, and the guilty party was found... our insured, John Q. Public, we sent them their deductible back because they paid it out of pocket on their vehicle repairs.

This guy is chewing me out because this person, Billy Bob, hit his dog and now, we (his insurance company, not him personally), is reimbursing Billy Bob their deductible.. he thought that was crazy. Why should we pay their deductible back when they hit his "pure bred dog and they should be paying him for reimbursement on the cost of his dog".

I have to be polite, and can't really say a lot, here's how most of the conversation went..... "Sir, was your dog running loose?".... yes..... "Then you are responsible for the damages done to his vehicle"... why?..... "because your dog is your responsibility and whatever your dog gets into, you are responsible for paying for the damages"...... but they hit my pure bred dog and they should pay me back for the dog, he was only a 20 pound puppy, how much damage could he do?..... "Sir, it's not a question of how much damage he did, the point is, you let your dog run loose, he got off your property and was hit by a car. Legally, you are responsible for any property damage to their vehicle, and/or injuries caused by them hitting your dog. Did you ever have your dog tied up?"..... no, he runs loose, but I chain my older dog (guess he thought that made up for the other one running loose! )..... "well, you are responsible for what your dog gets into, even if that means the line of travel of a 3000 lb vehicle".... He gets ticked off and practically hangs up on me. The guy could not understand why we were paying this person for hitting his dog, he thought they should be paying him for the cost of his dog. I finally told him if I had a pure bred dog, I would never allow it to run loose for fear of it getting hurt and not only losing my dog, but also losing the cost of buying that dog. I told him I have 6 dogs, all mutts, basically, and I installed a $3000.00 fence to prevent them from getting off my property and I live on 25 acres in the country.... He never got it, and I hung up with my blood pressure boiling.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:08 PM   #13
blogwado

Yeah, people just don't seem to understand that to let a dog run loose is just irresponsible, but I find many of those same people are quick to try to tell you what you are doing wrong with your own dogs.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:11 PM   #14
deermealec

Yeah, people just don't seem to understand that to let a dog run loose is just irresponsible, but I find many of those same people are quick to try to tell you what you are doing wrong with your own dogs.
...and quick to place blame the responsible one with their leashed dog if something were to happen...

Old 02-26-2010, 12:38 AM   #15
legal-advicer

As wrong as this sounds, I have been looking at very nice basket-weave muzzles.
Doesn't sounf wrong at all, I muzzle my crew anytime we have to enter public ( which is not often ).

Better safe than sorry. Kinda hard to blame the muzzled dog in a dog fight.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:51 AM   #16
deermealec

Doesn't sounf wrong at all, I muzzle my crew anytime we have to enter public ( which is not often ).

Better safe than sorry. Kinda hard to blame the muzzled dog in a dog fight.
I agree, just the other day I took one of my fosters to the clinic that I know is very dog selective... he was muzzled (not the basket-type muzzle) I went inside the clinic first just to scope the waiting area out then I went back to get my foster, muzzled and all.

Old 02-26-2010, 01:54 AM   #17
virtuah

Loose dogs are a problem here too. I can't Stand being constantly worried about another dog during our run/walk.
I carry mace (& breakstick) when I walk my dog too. I hope I don't have to mace another dog, but if 1 is running up on us & I can't scare it away, then I will have no choice.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:18 AM   #18
AttableBewNaw

This is a daily irritant, I so hear you. I tried to get the leash laws enforced where I live - forget about it: emails, phone calls, followups, I was totally ignored. So really, one day there'll be an incident involving a loose dog and until then, I'm praying I'll see all the loose dogs coming until then and will handle them and avoid being in the incident in the newspaper.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:22 PM   #19
Alice_Medichi34

Steel toed boots, a cell phone with a camera, a break stick and an extra leash. What every bully breed owner should have on walks.
That is SO me. You forgot the crap bags and the muzzle though!

---------- Post added at 03:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 AM ----------

The title of this thread inspired me.

http://www.cafepress.ca/ravenrocks.164939981

Old 02-26-2010, 01:27 PM   #20
Feloascarlelt

you are jeapardizing your animals well being, by walking him around there. Take him some where else to walk. You own an APBT you need to go above and beyond what the average dog owner would have to do.

I am SO frustrated. I live on Camp Pendleton. As I am sure most of you know any dog on the "dangerous dog list" has been banned. The only exception to these dogs are the ones that were here before the ban came into effect. Owning Macho, I know I am walking on a VERY short leash. All it will take is one incident and he's out of here. So I am not just careful with him, I am constantly trying to stay one step ahead so nothing happens.

Reply to Thread New Thread