LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 02-14-2010, 12:06 AM   #1
IoninnyHaro

Default Is this a good reason for me to breed?
I have kept very close contact with Kristy Sipe, Tyson's breeder. You can find mostly all of her dogs offspring under Sipes Electric Blue ----. We were talking about Tyson and everything that we want to do with him not this coming July, but next, we want to start pulling him. In about August or September of this year we are driving to North Carolina for the weekend, she is going to hook him up with little to no weight and see if he has the drive for it, and she is going to give me things to work with, such as pulling and making sure he walks slow to not tire him out, and then we are going to go to a show with her and her dogs and watch how they do everything. I was thinking, once he is 18 months I want to do his preliminary OFA and Pennhip, and providing all of that comes back great a few months later I want to start conditioning him and start working him. Would it be wrong for me to breed him with a dog that she deems fit for him? If things work out with him, I really would like to do pulling with him and one of his offspring. He would not be bred any more after that, I just want one puppy.

Not saying this is definitely going to happen, we just need to see how things go from the 2 year mark and up. What do you guys think? Is this acceptable?

I know they are VERY good with placing dogs, Tyson's brothers and sisters all went to working homes, although one is coming back because the guy had more dogs that he can handle. And I searched for so long that Working Class Hero from here referred me to them and we spoke alot over the next few months and she agreed to give me a pup. So I know she is very careful with placing pups, and she checks up on them all of the time, so this is not one of those things where most pups would end up without homes.

Over the long time she has bred, she has had very few pups come back to her, and she stays in contact with the people that still have the dogs, a few people here have dogs from off of her yard actually.

She breeds every 2-3 years if that, and works every single one of her dogs, even her JRT. She is a very good breeder IMO, and lives, breathes, and sleeps the bully breed, I cannot say enough good things about her and wanted to thank all of you again for keeping me away from those terrible breeders that wanted to rip me off.

Just wanted to hear your opinions

Old 02-14-2010, 12:23 AM   #2
Abebpabeniemo

I would wait until he was at least 2- from my experience that is when dogs actually mature and show their true potential. A dog under the age of 2 may not show poor and good behavior making him.her worthy of breeding until then. Also I would ask yourself: What is so special about this dog that makes him worthy or breeding as opposed to adopting one of thousands of perfectly great dogs in a shelter?

Old 02-14-2010, 12:25 AM   #3
bloriMal

AFTER his health tests come back with good results, and AFTER he has been titled in the sport of your choice...THEN you can start thinking about breeding him.

You are definately headed in thr right direction. Don't rush things.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:28 AM   #4
IoninnyHaro

Because none of the dogs in the shelters have papers, you need those to do weightpulling, and they are also altered.

I am going to wait until he is 2. He will be 1 in 3 months, we are just going there at the end of this year to get a good idea ourselves if its something we would really feel strong about doing, considering 80% of the shows are in the NC/TN area and thats a 6.5 hour drive once or twice a month each way.

It is a big commitment.

I believe if you have a working dog, and you get a puppy from a reputable breeder, then no problems. BUT, if I wanted JUST a pet, I would have no problem going to a shelter.

That is why I said we have to see how things go from the 2 year mark up. So I can see if its something he wants to do as well.

---------- Post added at 06:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:27 PM ----------

AFTER his health tests come back with good results, and AFTER he has been titled in the sport of your choice...THEN you can start thinking about breeding him.

You are definately headed in thr right direction. Don't rush things.
Thank you, I agree. I should have added that, according to his genetics, he will be great at what i want him to do, but I also want to make sure that its something that he wants to do, not just me.

Also, could someone with weight pulling experience please explain the titling system and points, I know they go off of points, would going to 1-2 shows a month get us anywhere?

I also wanted to add, the female that he will be bred to (although she is not sure which would suit him yet, thats why we are not even thinking about it more until he is over 2 and has been working) will be a proven dog with titles in weight pulling as well

Old 02-14-2010, 12:32 AM   #5
Cheeniandab

If the dog accomplishes what you are wanting a dog to accomplish and would like more dogs to accomplish the same, i'd say that is reasonable. But when you said you also only want one pup is kind of weird..like you're really only putting him through this to deserve to breed him just so you can have a pup off of him, when really the point of work and breeding him is to maintain that through future generations. I wouldn't bother only doing 1 breeding because it seems pointless, because most good breeders breed to get closer to producing their ideal dog and once they produce it, they continue to breed to maintain these ideal dogs. So i just don't see the point in doing all this so you feel justified in getting a pup off of him, however, if you did all of this and some of the pups produced went to homes to be worked/shown and then bred it would make more sense to me. Of breeding is supposed to be done to better the dogs, breed, etc...it's hard to do that with one breeding, so i really don't see the point in breeding if not to start a full blown breeding program. Hope that makes sense. Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

Old 02-14-2010, 12:44 AM   #6
IoninnyHaro

It does make complete sense, but I have Destiny, and Tyson, and a third dog would be all that I can have, now we are planning on moving right before Madison starts school and she is 2 now, so maybe once we get a house with a few acres of land, then it might be possible, but who knows what the future holds.

I do know that they would all go to working homes, Kristy will see of that. She knows alot of people because they take their dogs to every pulling show in that area so at least I would have the peace of mind knowing that its not a little that will just get disposed of ya know?

I don't know how to put the whole 1 pup thing, obviously, if he proves himself, I do want a pup off of his litter. I would love to have two dogs to take to shows. I would actually like in the spring to just hook the harness to Destiny and maybe put a tire or something on it to see if she would have the drive to do it. She is currently 18 months old, so in a few months if she does show me that she would like to do it, I could also have her screened, my vet said they can do both sets of x rays for about $500 per dog, they said they need to be sedated for one of the xrays because its an awkward position for the dogs or something. But although she is basically a mutt with no papers, because she is spayed I could get a limited license for her and do pulling with her, just not in any show I wanted to but she could still become a working dog for me as well.

When I first got them both, I thought, they are nice pets, but now I am wanting more, I love how this breed is so eager to please you!

So I would not say its getting a pup from him just because I want one, i would like to continue that line with him, but only time will tell if that can happen or not, with 1/4 acre yard in the middle of town, 3 pups would be enough for me.

Hope I cleared that up somewhat

I do not want to become a breeder, or be known as one. I just would like 2-3 working dogs thats all and instead of searching for another reputable breeder or waiting 3 more years for my breeder to breed again, this might just work out, but only time will tell

Old 02-14-2010, 01:10 AM   #7
evennyNiz

I'd say if you get your dog titled then go ahead but don't breed just because he shows drive or pulls a tire as those sort of dogs are common. You only want to do it if the dog is out there beating other dogs regularly.

You will be working so much to get the dog in condition,training,travelling,etc that you will be knackered. If you just want another working dog then buy one when a good litter appears or off a repeat breeding that has produced good working dogs.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:15 AM   #8
IoninnyHaro

Noooo, sorry should have clarified that as well. I was talking about Destiny. Pulling is in Tyson's blood, not saying he will love it, but more than likely he will .

I am having him Ofa and Pennhip screened anyways.

I was talking about Destiny, just to see if she will even attempt to pull anything.

And about the other working dog. I have not met any other reputable breeders, although, because of my area, I am not surprised, I have not went to any shows to even meet anyone. Who knows, I might meet someone at this show we go to towards the end of this year

Old 02-14-2010, 01:16 AM   #9
Cheeniandab

do you have a link to your dogs' peds?

Old 02-14-2010, 01:32 AM   #10
gundorana

I'd say take it slow, and read, read, read.... and talk to others that have some experience. Don't rush into it, just take your time.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:32 AM   #11
29clepayJainync

First off, I am not a fan of breeding. Too many puppies die or go without good homes. BUT, if you are sure these puppies will go to good homes then it wouldn't hurt to CONSIDER it. I def. agree with Bosonitis...you should wait until he is over 2 since their true temperement may not show until then. Good luck with your decision. Just make sure all the puppies go to good, loving homes.

Old 02-14-2010, 02:19 AM   #12
IoninnyHaro

I will let Kristy take care of that, the rehoming the puppies that is. I am excited to see how he turns out though, I wish I could fast forward time so I can start training him!!! I just registered and paid for apbt.online-pedigrees.com so I have to wait for them to acknowledge the payment on Monday and then I can build it, but I do have it on google docs, here ya go

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AV...d3N2N2M0&hl=en

---------- Post added at 08:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 PM ----------

His parents and grandparents are where the weightpulling was started, I do not really care for anything after that on that pedigree

Old 02-14-2010, 02:41 AM   #13
Cheeniandab

It's cool you want to work him. You've got a lot of HUGE names in there in the bully world. Isn't your dog only like 45 lbs at 9 months? That is suprsing given the fact he Has Monster G like 3 times in his 4 gen.

Old 02-14-2010, 02:57 AM   #14
Vipvlad

Just to put this in perspective for you...
I had Judge x-rayed 2 times BEFORE he was a year old. Not to mention routine care. I have at 2 years old....OVER $5000 into him and NOTHING out of him yet but love and companionship and one hell of a prospect. He has OFA GOOD hips and NORMAL Elbows-$200 for that. (I won't do pennhip as the procedure has hurt a LOT of dogs after doing some research.) Before he was a year old, I had a damn good idea of what to expect from him in regards to training as well as health, conformation and genetics.

He has finished health testing and is going for his SchH1 this June. The end of August, he'll be bred to a very nice bitch. I more than likely am not keeping a puppy off him the first litter, I'll monitor the first litter's progress and see what if anything I like about them(with the ped and the dogs should be everything about them I'll love) and what could've been improved etc. He will be 3 years old in August.

Tyson isn't even a year old and up until this point, you haven't really done anything with him, IMHO. You are responsible too in part for ANY puppies he produces, this is the problem with male owners, they think that they have no responsibility to the puppies after they are placed. Are the puppies going to be placed on SOLID speuter contracts and working/show contracts?????

Here is a link to my contract for my puppies.....
http://vonkromehaus.webs.com/contractandguarantee.htm
The link is in Green.

Also, are you going to have a hand in placing them or just leave that up to the bitches owner? I would not even be worried about breeding him yet, At least until you KNOW what you're working with.....do OFA Pre-Lims on him and go from there....remember Elbows are important too as well as testing for Ataxia(IMHO).

Courtney

Old 02-14-2010, 03:04 AM   #15
HornyMolly

i agree with Nana. personally i would wait till he has a championship. (title)

Old 02-14-2010, 04:05 AM   #16
gomosopions

FYI you do not need papers to weightpull. With the ADBA you can get a limited registraton. And many other weight pull clubs that you pull a neutered/spayed animal without registration papers.

Now like many have said. Take it slow. I agree with MN as well.

I wish you luck.

Old 02-14-2010, 04:34 AM   #17
durootrium

Don't do it. This is most of the problems with the Pit Bull. Leave the breeding to the experts.

I have kept very close contact with Kristy Sipe, Tyson's breeder. You can find mostly all of her dogs offspring under Sipes Electric Blue ----. We were talking about Tyson and everything that we want to do with him not this coming July, but next, we want to start pulling him. In about August or September of this year we are driving to North Carolina for the weekend, she is going to hook him up with little to no weight and see if he has the drive for it, and she is going to give me things to work with, such as pulling and making sure he walks slow to not tire him out, and then we are going to go to a show with her and her dogs and watch how they do everything. I was thinking, once he is 18 months I want to do his preliminary OFA and Pennhip, and providing all of that comes back great a few months later I want to start conditioning him and start working him. Would it be wrong for me to breed him with a dog that she deems fit for him? If things work out with him, I really would like to do pulling with him and one of his offspring. He would not be bred any more after that, I just want one puppy.

Not saying this is definitely going to happen, we just need to see how things go from the 2 year mark and up. What do you guys think? Is this acceptable?

I know they are VERY good with placing dogs, Tyson's brothers and sisters all went to working homes, although one is coming back because the guy had more dogs that he can handle. And I searched for so long that Working Class Hero from here referred me to them and we spoke alot over the next few months and she agreed to give me a pup. So I know she is very careful with placing pups, and she checks up on them all of the time, so this is not one of those things where most pups would end up without homes.

Over the long time she has bred, she has had very few pups come back to her, and she stays in contact with the people that still have the dogs, a few people here have dogs from off of her yard actually.

She breeds every 2-3 years if that, and works every single one of her dogs, even her JRT. She is a very good breeder IMO, and lives, breathes, and sleeps the bully breed, I cannot say enough good things about her and wanted to thank all of you again for keeping me away from those terrible breeders that wanted to rip me off.

Just wanted to hear your opinions

Old 02-14-2010, 04:45 AM   #18
JosephEL

im with war dog, theres no need to breed your boy, eventhough he may be a good worker or a hell of a puller, whatever your reason,
whos to say he or the dam is even a producer?
theres a possibility that no matter how good workers they are, theylle never produce anything as good or better than themselves, not saying this is the case, but it could be.
sure you could find out, but what if the pups end up being garbage? you or the breeder going to risk culling a whole litter just on hopes that youll get a good dog?
id suggest gettin yourself a well bred dog thats fit for the job you have in mind

Old 02-14-2010, 05:05 AM   #19
Cheeniandab

how the hell else do you find out how a dog produces? every dog that gets bred has to be bred for a first time and that's whne they find out how they produce. I still think it's pointless unless she wants to start a breeding program, but it's not really unethical in how the pups are to be placed and what not.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:20 AM   #20
Poowssnople

Because none of the dogs in the shelters have papers, you need those to do weightpulling, and they are also altered.

I am going to wait until he is 2. He will be 1 in 3 months, we are just going there at the end of this year to get a good idea ourselves if its something we would really feel strong about doing, considering 80% of the shows are in the NC/TN area and thats a 6.5 hour drive once or twice a month each way.

It is a big commitment.

I believe if you have a working dog, and you get a puppy from a reputable breeder, then no problems. BUT, if I wanted JUST a pet, I would have no problem going to a shelter.

That is why I said we have to see how things go from the 2 year mark up. So I can see if its something he wants to do as well.

---------- Post added at 06:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:27 PM ----------

Thank you, I agree. I should have added that, according to his genetics, he will be great at what i want him to do, but I also want to make sure that its something that he wants to do, not just me.

Also, could someone with weight pulling experience please explain the titling system and points, I know they go off of points, would going to 1-2 shows a month get us anywhere?

I also wanted to add, the female that he will be bred to (although she is not sure which would suit him yet, thats why we are not even thinking about it more until he is over 2 and has been working) will be a proven dog with titles in weight pulling as well
I agree with you.. 100%!!

---------- Post added at 11:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 PM ----------

i agree with Nana. personally i would wait till he has a championship. (title)
You definitely want to do this first!!

No hurry, take your time and educate yourself on breeding.. sometimes things can go wrong. Know what to do in case it does.

---------- Post added at 11:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 PM ----------

It's cool you want to work him. You've got a lot of HUGE names in there in the bully world. Isn't your dog only like 45 lbs at 9 months? That is suprsing given the fact he Has Monster G like 3 times in his 4 gen.
A well conditioned "Bully" can be 55 lbs and under.. look at the old school RE dogs...

Reply to Thread New Thread