LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 02-14-2010, 03:28 AM   #1
Immampdah

If I catch someone in my house letting my dogs jump on them, I punch them. It's now an actual rule. LOL, Do you have it hanging by the door! That would be a great sign to have... LOL

Old 02-14-2010, 03:31 AM   #2
RalfDweflywex

LOL, Do you have it hanging by the door! That would be a great sign to have... LOL
It's on the dry erase board in front of the door, written in BIG letters.

I still have to punch people now and then. Apparently reading is really hard.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:34 AM   #3
carlsberg21

It's on the dry erase board in front of the door, written in BIG letters.

I still have to punch people now and then. Apparently reading is really hard.
That's amazing. Do you mind if I steal your idea? I hate when people untrain my dogs.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:38 AM   #4
RalfDweflywex

Have at it. I should start making them and handing them out to dog owners everywhere.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:17 AM   #5
BluewayAllere

you should know better than to take these dogs to pets mart. its begging for problems such as this.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:44 AM   #6
TubOppomo

lol I tell people that I don't allow strangers to touch my dogs. IF they keep insisting or trying to pet them then I remove the dog from their reach and politely tell the idiot that "While my dog is friendly, I'm not so PLEASE do NOT touch the dog!" then I leave OR if that doesn't work, I simply snarl, then leave.

Red doesn't go out and about really anymore....too many idiots that I can't control.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:15 AM   #7
GinaIsWild

My bandogs are not friendly dogs. They like children, and enjoy attention from them, but don't put up with overattentive adults. They don't attention seek, and it anoys me when people get upset about it. Tank works at a retirement home. Ill tell him "go say hi" and he will sit by the person I point to. Other than that, my dogs want nothing to do with the GP. I bring them to petco for the practice, and to pick out new toys, but when employees start trying to get all snuggly with them, I simply inform them that my dogs are not pets, and that they are under the impression that they are on duty still.
If my dog barks or growls at someone (who isn't too close to my yard or car) then I get bad vibes... they are not friendly, but generally passive. Any sort of uneasiness is something I take into consideeration.
More likely than not, these needy people are being viewed as obnoxious lower pack members, because they are conveying to the dog that they need attention from it. Dogs with a sense of pack leadership can usually pick out submissive humans very quickly. They either don't like them, or use them for whatever they are offering.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:36 PM   #8
WhileKelf

i hear so many bad stories about pet stores like this... and i can't help but be thankful that the one closest to us has multiple dog-intelligent ppl. and we're favorites there b/c i'm not completely retarded either lol.

there are trainers and managers there who will out-and-out tell ppl that their dog is being obnoxious and needs to be controlled or not to bring it back. they work with that doggie crack stuff (the lamb one in case of chicken allergies) that comes in sausage tubes, and will ALWAYS ask if it's ok with the owner to work with the dog. we had these 2 old biddies at Xmas time with a morbidly obese pug, tell me that my dog was being starved and was too skinny. i bit my tongue, thanked them for their 'lovely insight into my dog' with a smile, and walked on. a few trainers came up and apologized for THEM. told me ppl don't know a healthy dog when they see one.

the cashiers aren't always the brightest bulbs on the christmas tree, but the trainers and such make up for it.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:01 PM   #9
VottCetaVeivE

My dogs love attention too and like everyone. But Rosie will turn away from anyone who smokes. (Smart dog!) I take them to work, and at break several smokers will want to pet them. Nick is okay with it, but Rosie won't go up to them. She's fine once they put out the cigarette.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:33 PM   #10
RalfDweflywex

They're good with people, that's why I take my girls with me when I go to the pet store.

Normally the dogs love the employees. I went back today and saw him, he apologized for not listening to what I had to say and that next time he'd leave her alone.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:41 PM   #11
NKUDirectory

Have at it. I should start making them and handing them out to dog owners everywhere.
I'd buy one!!! Lol

Old 02-15-2010, 09:47 AM   #12
Rqqneujr

Maybe people who work at pet stores just need the money. I don't expect the pimple faced cashier at McDonald's to be a burger expert.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:11 PM   #13
Rffkwfct

Maybe people who work at pet stores just need the money. I don't expect the pimple faced cashier at McDonald's to be a burger expert.
cute...
if you liked hamburgers, you would not be at McDonalds anyway...
but the sad truth you bring up here is that most pet stores do not pay enough to keep folks with any common sense around.... just my opinion...

Old 02-15-2010, 09:31 PM   #14
maks_holi

cute...
if you liked hamburgers, you would not be at McDonalds anyway...
but the sad truth you bring up here is that most pet stores do not pay enough to keep folks with any common sense around.... just my opinion...
I think you are right! That's why I don't recommend their training classes.

Now I'm hungry

People telling me it's OK to let a dog jump on them makes me so mad! Especially when I'm working with one of the shelter dogs. I get passive aggressive about it and start talking to the dog. Usually something along the lines of 'Jumping won't get you adopted' or 'You might be cute now but you won't be when your 50 pounds and not trained!'

Old 02-16-2010, 05:17 AM   #15
Hoglaunccoolf

my dogs are attention whores, they love everybody.. so if my dogs do not go into wiggly licking mode when they meet somebody.. I got to figure they know something I don't.... if my dogs go to growling, my hand goes to my glock....
You just described me and my dog. But mines an xd40.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:51 PM   #16
RalfDweflywex

Default Went to Petco the other day.. I wish pet store employees had more sense
So I went to Petco with my room mate the other day, and I brought my dogs because they haven't had a good outing in a while.

They were good, except we kept running into this old lady and her insane chihuahua (it freaked out so bad the cart it was in was shaking it's way across the floor), I felt bad because we were trying to avoid each other, but we kept finding each other.

Then I got all my stuff, let the dogs pick out a couple of toys to rip apart when we got home, and went to the checkout.

The cashier was a nice guy. Lucy however did not like him. She wasn't aggressive towards him, she just didn't know what to think of him. (It's happened a handful of times with the occasional new man we meet). She kept going "ruff ruff" at him, running behind me then going in front of me to ruff at him again. So I pulled her close to me (I have the leashes that have the handle towards the clip end) because this dude kept trying to pet her, and I was afraid if he kept doing it something bad might happen.

Even after I pulled her in, the guy kept trying to pet her, telling me "OH I've got a lab/pit mix at home blah blah blah, I know all about dogs".

I felt bad when I snapped at him "If you know so damn much about dogs, then you shouldn't be trying to pet one that doesn't like you".

I apologized, paid for my things, and told him that next time a dog doesn't respond well to his presence, he'd do best to ignore it rather than force his attention upon it, and he can try to make friends next time.

As I left, I saw the same thing happen to the guy who got to that register with his young GSD. The cashier tried to pet the dog, and the dog didn't like him and tried to avoid him.

Maybe he was just a weirdo who's destined to get bit.

Sorry. Had to rant.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:55 PM   #17
carlsberg21

Sounds like this guy's got bad vibes. Dogs can sense when people are not-so-good.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:17 PM   #18
RalfDweflywex

Lucy's great when it comes to sensing bad vibes. Saved my ass a couple of times.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:15 PM   #19
Rffkwfct

my dogs are attention whores, they love everybody.. so if my dogs do not go into wiggly licking mode when they meet somebody.. I got to figure they know something I don't.... if my dogs go to growling, my hand goes to my glock....

Old 12-02-2010, 08:18 PM   #20
Ornamiviant

Mine is an attention whore too...

What pisses me off is the so-called "trainer" they have in Petsmart purposefully making my dog break her sit when she could see I was working on training. And gave her a crappy biscuit after I said, um no she has grain allergies. Grr!

Reply to Thread New Thread