LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 03-08-2008, 06:43 AM   #1
Maphpseurse

They should get Sally Struthers to be their spokeswoman. Hopefully she won't eat all the dogs...

Old 06-29-2008, 07:06 AM   #2
joanbertis

Default FBI investigates HSUS
Do not know if this was posted here

Possibly Fraudulent HSUS Fundraising

The Center for Consumer Freedom and several other groups are reporting that they have been contacted by the FBI for an investigation into possibly fraudulent fundraising practices by the Humane Society of the United States ("We've Got A Bone To Pick With HSUS Over Michael Vick"). Following Michael Vick's indictment on charges related to dogfighting, HSUS apparently initiated a fundraising campaign around the idea of raising money to take care of Vick's dogs, despite the fact that HSUS was not involved with caring for the dogs.

Here's one of several stories about the situation:

Humane Society of the United States Misled Americans With Fundraising Pitch

Animal Rights Group Falsely Claimed It Would "Care For" Michael Vick’s Dogs

Washington — Today the nonprofit Center for Consumer Freedom (CCF) called on the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) to return all the money it has raised in the wake of the Michael Vick dogfighting scandal. CCF revealed today that beginning on July 18 — the day after Vick’s criminal indictment — HSUS promised on its website that financial contributions would be earmarked for helping it “care for the dogs seized in the Michael Vick case.” But yesterday The New York Times reported that HSUS is not, in fact, caring for the animals. And HSUS president Wayne Pacelle told the Times that his group is recommending that government officials “put down” (that is, kill) the dogs rather than adopt them out to suitable homes.

“Like most Americans, we can’t stand dogfighting,” said Center for Consumer Freedom Director of Research David Martosko. “But we also can’t stand animal-rights fundraising that smells this fishy.”

The Humane Society of the United States is not affiliated with any local “humane societies.” Although the organization runs no hands-on dog or cat shelters anywhere, some of its fundraising materials hint at a direct connection with pet rescue operations.

HSUS’s online fundraising pitch related to Michael Vick has now been quietly altered to remove the claim that the group is caring for his pit bulls. But there’s no reliable way to know how much money the group raised on the basis of its earlier promises.

“As usual, HSUS is exploiting Americans’ emotions about dogs to build its war chest for anti-meat, anti-dairy, and anti-medical-research campaigns,” Martosko added. “These predatory activists should return every cent and apologize for misleading the public.”

In a similar episode, HSUS raised a reported $32 million in the wake of the Hurricane Katrina disaster, promising to use the funds to rescue and reunite lost pets with their owners. But since March 2006, Louisiana Attorney General Charles Foti’s office has been investigating what happened to the majority of those funds, which HSUS does not appear to have used for Katrina-related rescues.

The New York Times article is online at http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/01/sp...ll/01vick.html

HSUS’s false fundraising claim is preserved online at http://www.consumerfreedom.com/images/hsus_clip.png

For more information about the Humane Society of the United States, visit www.ActivistCash.com/HSUS

Old 06-29-2008, 04:15 PM   #3
JamesTornC

Im sorry to predict that nothing will come from an investigation or a thousand like it.

The HSUS is a crooked organization with deep pockets and political roots. It also sports ton of well meaning but unthinking animal loving volunteers who truly believe what they are told and will support it to the bitter end.

I was once a dumb kid who sent them their $25 a year and felt good about doing so. I sought out and learned the truth after a few run-ins with HSUS dealing with horses.

Educating the pet owning public is the only way to eradicate their lies and shady practices, but unfortunately they have the $$ on their side. Who is going to challenge the heartstring-pulling media campaigns and risk looking like they dont care about the poor skinny ungroomed puppy on TV? (Who is, coincidently, going to the gas-chamber anyways after he is used to make a few bucks. ).

Jeez .. im getting old and cynical. LOL

Old 06-29-2008, 04:21 PM   #4
Jellowstrom

Im sorry to predict that nothing will come from an investigation or a thousand like it.

The HSUS is a crooked organization with deep pockets and political roots. It also sports ton of well meaning but unthinking animal loving volunteers who truly believe what they are told and will support it to the bitter end.

I was once a dumb kid who sent them their $25 a year and felt good about doing so. I sought out and learned the truth after a few run-ins with HSUS dealing with horses.

Educating the pet owning public is the only way to eradicate their lies and shady practices, but unfortunately they have the $$ on their side. Who is going to challenge the heartstring-pulling media campaigns and risk looking like they dont care about the poor skinny ungroomed puppy on TV? (Who is, coincidently, going to the gas-chamber anyways after he is used to make a few bucks. ).

Jeez .. im getting old and cynical. LOL
Hmmmm that sounds just like another animal organization....can't think of the name...but starts with P I Think. Ah well...

Old 06-29-2008, 04:28 PM   #5
giDdfezP

People Eating Tasty Animals? I'm a staunch supporter of that one...

Old 06-29-2008, 04:32 PM   #6
JamesTornC

Hmmmm that sounds just like another animal organization....can't think of the name...but starts with P I Think. Ah well...
PITA has even more $$ BUT .. they, in my opinion, are not as dangerous. The average american thinks of PITA as an extremist group. HSUS has the blind support of mainstream america. Thats where their power lies.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:47 PM   #7
StizePypemype

...the investigation is warranted, but I agree that nothing will probably come as a result.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:36 PM   #8
Cengaeas

Ofcourse they didn't spend those funds on helping animals or thier shelters. They spend it making laws and padding thier own pockets.

That would make my day to see the air taken out of these AR groups. Esp the HSUS.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:41 PM   #9
giDdfezP

Come on people, do you realize how expensive cyanide gas is? They need our money! Get your checkbooks out!!

Old 06-29-2008, 06:55 PM   #10
ZenDers

An Animal Rights Organization lining their own pockets by playing off the heart strings of the Animal Lovers? NO WAY!

Old 06-29-2008, 06:57 PM   #11
Jadykeery

Hey Daisy! Welcome to the old and cynical club!

Old 06-29-2008, 07:01 PM   #12
giDdfezP

They should get Sally Struthers to be their spokeswoman. Hopefully she won't eat all the dogs...

Old 06-29-2008, 07:01 PM   #13
Jadykeery

LOL! I thought she already did! Oh no, wait...she ate the starving children. My bad.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:04 PM   #14
JamesTornC

Hey Daisy! Welcome to the old and cynical club!
TY Gala! WOW .. nice clubhouse!

Old 06-29-2008, 07:05 PM   #15
giDdfezP

LOL! I thought she already did! Oh no, wait...she ate the starving children. My bad.
She's still hungry, trust me...

Old 06-29-2008, 08:00 PM   #16
shemadagaswer

I'm surprised it took so long....I hope something comes out of this, hopefully more people will see them for the scams they are!

Old 12-20-2008, 04:05 AM   #17
swissloveone

They made a pile of money in SC as well ,when they braged about busting those awfull Hog Dog Rodeo people to..But those people were aquited..Seems they weren't fighting dogs and hogs after all..But HSUS kept all that money as well..

Old 12-20-2008, 04:21 PM   #18
adariseediups

why doesnt everyone call their local newspaper and see if they'll run a piece on it?

Old 10-30-2009, 06:07 PM   #19
Ekrbcbvh

Do not know if this was posted here

Possibly Fraudulent HSUS Fundraising

The Center for Consumer Freedom and several other groups are reporting that they have been contacted by the FBI for an investigation into possibly fraudulent fundraising practices by the Humane Society of the United States ("We've Got A Bone To Pick With HSUS Over Michael Vick"). Following Michael Vick's indictment on charges related to dogfighting, HSUS apparently initiated a fundraising campaign around the idea of raising money to take care of Vick's dogs, despite the fact that HSUS was not involved with caring for the dogs.

Here's one of several stories about the situation:

Humane Society of the United States Misled Americans With Fundraising Pitch

Animal Rights Group Falsely Claimed It Would "Care For" Michael Vick’s Dogs

Washington — Today the nonprofit Center for Consumer Freedom (CCF) called on the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) to return all the money it has raised in the wake of the Michael Vick dogfighting scandal. CCF revealed today that beginning on July 18 — the day after Vick’s criminal indictment — HSUS promised on its website that financial contributions would be earmarked for helping it “care for the dogs seized in the Michael Vick case.” But yesterday The New York Times reported that HSUS is not, in fact, caring for the animals. And HSUS president Wayne Pacelle told the Times that his group is recommending that government officials “put down” (that is, kill) the dogs rather than adopt them out to suitable homes.

“Like most Americans, we can’t stand dogfighting,” said Center for Consumer Freedom Director of Research David Martosko. “But we also can’t stand animal-rights fundraising that smells this fishy.”

The Humane Society of the United States is not affiliated with any local “humane societies.” Although the organization runs no hands-on dog or cat shelters anywhere, some of its fundraising materials hint at a direct connection with pet rescue operations.

HSUS’s online fundraising pitch related to Michael Vick has now been quietly altered to remove the claim that the group is caring for his pit bulls. But there’s no reliable way to know how much money the group raised on the basis of its earlier promises.

“As usual, HSUS is exploiting Americans’ emotions about dogs to build its war chest for anti-meat, anti-dairy, and anti-medical-research campaigns,” Martosko added. “These predatory activists should return every cent and apologize for misleading the public.”

In a similar episode, HSUS raised a reported $32 million in the wake of the Hurricane Katrina disaster, promising to use the funds to rescue and reunite lost pets with their owners. But since March 2006, Louisiana Attorney General Charles Foti’s office has been investigating what happened to the majority of those funds, which HSUS does not appear to have used for Katrina-related rescues.

The New York Times article is online at http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/01/sp...ll/01vick.html

HSUS’s false fundraising claim is preserved online at http://www.consumerfreedom.com/images/hsus_clip.png

For more information about the Humane Society of the United States, visit www.ActivistCash.com/HSUS
That does not surprise me after some of the things that I have heard about Wayne Pacelle. He also was under investigation because some of the files from animals that were caught in Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans was messing. Now the flap over their fund-raising practices, shows that Pacelle has no freaking idea of what he is doing.
I heard that he was also anti-Pit Bull as well!
I never trusted the guy, it was just the way that he came across, he told me in am email that he was personally responsible for Vick's arrest. I don't know how true that is.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:24 PM   #20
kictainiSot

This post was started almost a year and a half ago, I guess nothing came of the "investigation".

Reply to Thread New Thread