LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 07-12-2008, 08:23 PM   #1
verizon

Default Pit types with smaller dogs?
Anyone have a bully breed as well as a small dog? I noticed a lot of users seem to have other dogs but they are other large breeds.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:31 PM   #2
Herimoisige

I have 2 APBT blues and a Minachure Dachsund and the Dachsund is the BOSS. She bot bulldogs in there place.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:45 PM   #3
FUNALA

Chiapit has 2 pit bulls and a chihuahua There's a few members on here that do have a bully and a smaller dog.

I just have the chihuahua

Old 07-12-2008, 10:15 PM   #4
Xutrsavf

2 Pits and 4 Maltese for me

Old 07-12-2008, 10:33 PM   #5
Jadykeery

This is just a theory, so don't take it as the gospel or anything, but it seems like pit bull types do better with small dogs than larger ones. It's almost like they feel there's no way an ankle biter would pose a threat or put up much of a fight, so what's the point in trying?

Old 07-12-2008, 10:56 PM   #6
Cengaeas

My house dog is gamebred and it is part of the prereq that he be tolerant of anything I bring in the house. However I do not set him up to fail, by bringing just any animal in the house. Mainly hardluck cases, small dogs,cat's. An animal that can easily be placed. He is a awsome little bulldog!

Old 07-12-2008, 11:02 PM   #7
WaydayFep

This is just a theory, so don't take it as the gospel or anything, but it seems like pit bull types do better with small dogs than larger ones. It's almost like they feel there's no way an ankle biter would pose a threat or put up much of a fight, so what's the point in trying?
i disagree. I think pits do better with larger animals because smaller animals they tend to go after/chase.

I forgot who said this, but someone said on the forum that you should not leave children alone with pitbulls because the size of the children may be interperted as another animal or something . And they will chase ect.
+ my dog will chase rabbits/cats/smaller dogs down. But if the animal is bigger then he is. He will ignore it.

My house dog is gamebred and it is part of the prereq that he be tolerant of anything I bring in the house. However I do not set him up to fail, by bringing just any animal in the house. Mainly hardluck cases, small dogs,cat's. An animal that can easily be placed. He is a awsome little bulldog!
How do you know he is gamebred ?

Old 07-13-2008, 04:07 AM   #8
ZenDers

How do you know he is gamebred ?
Gamebred= From Game parents or game ancestry. You can tell by the pedigree and the Reputable breeder you get it from.

Game=Proven in the pit

Two different things. Keep that in mind.

Back to main topic, my dogs did well with my sister's beagle when we took care of her. It all depends on the dog, but as always, never ever leave them unsupervised.

Old 07-13-2008, 04:26 AM   #9
bitymnmictada

I have a APBT and 3 Chihuahuas. The Chihuahuas are the bosses. My APBT happens to be one of the ones that get alone better with smaller dogs then the bigger dogs. Although we don't let him play with any little dogs but our own. He doesn't growl at smaller breeds or pull towards them and he almost always does at dogs hie size and larger.

IMO the best thing to do if you want a APBT and smaller dogs is to get the small dogs first then buy a APBT as a puppy so it grows up with the small dogs

Old 07-13-2008, 04:39 AM   #10
PilotVertolet

I agree with you on this one...atleast from my experience with Indy since she is showing signs of being selectively DA. From the dogs she's been introduced to, I see her showing more signs of her feeling uneasy, or wanting to attack around dogs that are larger than her, than ones that are smaller. She spend a week with a chi and all she wanted to do was play with her and there was no aggression. But, around my step-moms labradoodle, things can and do escalate. Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-13-2008, 05:25 AM   #11
regfortruegoo

mine are ok with my chihuahua. but one chases and plays with other little dogs to hard.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:00 AM   #12
verizon

mine are ok with my chihuahua. but one chases and plays with other little dogs to hard.
OMG that is too cute.. took a moment to find the little thing. Adorable!!!

Old 08-13-2008, 01:59 AM   #13
gimffnfabaykal

I currently have 2 APBT's 1m /1f and one ornery male Jack Russell Terror. Both the APBT's do good with the JRT and do even better with each other. We have had a few scraps between the boys and that is due to the JRT having "little man" syndrome, my male APBT has no problem fighting back with him when the gauntlet has been thrown. Size isn't really an issue, it really boils down to the dogs in question. If you got 2 equally bullheaded dogs then your going to have an issue regardless of size and sex.

If your inquiring because your thinking of getting another dog I will strongly suggest knowing your current dogs limitation and work with those boundaries. No dog enters my home unless I am prepared to create a healthy and solitude life for those who cannot co-exist with other animals. I have been to both spectrums....life with multiple dogs co-existing with one another and with having dogs live a complete life of solitaire, naturally I prefer the former but always expect to house a loner. By welcoming this breed into my life I knew ahead of time of what it intails, its what I signed up for and anything less renders me not worthy of the dogs I feed.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:07 AM   #14
regfortruegoo

thats true i forgot about JRT my grandma has one who jumps my dogs they think they are big and bed bogs lol

Old 08-13-2008, 02:44 AM   #15
joanbertis

I have two pits, 2 chihuahuas, and 4 cats. Everyone loves each other

Old 08-13-2008, 04:11 AM   #16
WaydayFep

Gamebred= From Game parents or game ancestry. You can tell by the pedigree and the Reputable breeder you get it from.

Game=Proven in the pit

Two different things. Keep that in mind.
ah ok. thanks for the clear up

Old 09-12-2008, 07:32 AM   #17
orison

Yeah, if you have a pure bred Pit Bull I doubt it will do well with any dogs or animals. Period. Maybe if you expose your Pit Bull to the dog or animal at a early age they might grow to be friends.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:22 AM   #18
gactanync

Yeah, if you have a pure bred Pit Bull I doubt it will do well with any dogs or animals. Period. Maybe if you expose your Pit Bull to the dog or animal at a early age they might grow to be friends.

Why do you say that? One of the best things I ever saw was a dog fighting video from a country where it's legal, and then showed the winning dog playing with another dog at the home. If you ask me, true pit dogs don't just want to kill every other dog.. it's a game to them, and games aren't played ALL the time. But that's a WHOLE other topic!

My APBTs have always been around smaller dogs... my boston terrier, and my mum's chihuahua. Right now, my roommate has two small terrier mixes. My dogs love small dogs, and cats... but at the same time, Ruger has insane prey drive - outside the home. If it runs, he's gonna chase it!

Old 09-12-2008, 08:29 AM   #19
orison

Why do you say that? One of the best things I ever saw was a dog fighting video from a country where it's legal, and then showed the winning dog playing with another dog at the home. If you ask me, true pit dogs don't just want to kill every other dog.. it's a game to them, and games aren't played ALL the time. But that's a WHOLE other topic!

My APBTs have always been around smaller dogs... my boston terrier, and my mum's chihuahua. Right now, my roommate has two small terrier mixes. My dogs love small dogs, and cats... but at the same time, Ruger has insane prey drive - outside the home. If it runs, he's gonna chase it!
Interesting....I've never seen gamebred APBT play with other dogs....My dogs never played well with other dogs or cats. My dog killed a cat once that got into my backyard.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:31 AM   #20
fluistulkn

I agree with 'Knowing your dog's limit'. Beloved will not stand for little dogs, not because it's a little animal - He thinks cats are the most interesting things, ever - but because he has a history. A little dog barks and Bebo cowers until he realizes 'I'm BIGGER than you, now!' and starts wanting to put the dog in it's place. It's easy to assume in his previous house, he was tormented by a little dog as a puppy.

I know plenty of bullys with little dogs around, but most of them were raised with them or raised the little dog, if you know what I mean? It wasn't a case of 'It's my girlfriend's chihuahua', it was adding to the family.

Reply to Thread New Thread