LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 06-10-2009, 10:08 AM   #1
neictscek

Default I'm A Small Girl
I am seriously considering adopting a pitbull puppy. Of course after reading even a little on pit bulls I realized early it is a bigger commitment then getting any other dog. My biggest problem here is,

I am about 95 lbs and 5'1.
If I do adopt this extremely strong dog, that can be aggressive towards other animals, I am pretty nervous that if it came to breaking up my dog from another, if even a break stick could help. And with walking, if the dog pulls me, is it just about impossible for me to over power this breed?
Thanks guys!

Old 06-10-2009, 11:24 AM   #2
tussinelde

I'm about 100 lbs for 5.5' and I don't really have any problem.
he's 66lbs...
my dog gets very hot around others, had to break him up 2 times and it wasn't that hard

Old 06-10-2009, 11:42 AM   #3
qilmuz6v

I'm 5'; @ 103 lbs. My dog is 53 pounds.

I wouldn't say I'm particularly strong and I've never had a problem.

I think allot of training will help to avoid an out of control dog that you have to constantly physically manage.

I've had my dog for 3 years. She's dog reactive; not flat out aggressive. I've never had to break up a true fight; because luckily so far I've been able to avoid putting her in a position where that has happened.

When I've had to keep her physically by my side through sheer physical force I've found the front-ring no-pull harness to be a great tool.

However in all honesty, you also can't be a shrinking violet. My Mom is small and 70 and she spends all day with the dog when me and the husband are at work; but she won't take her out on a leash because she's the sort of person who needs help to open a a mayonaise jar.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:51 AM   #4
actifadepette

I used to be 120 lbs and am 5'1 (I have to lose weight somehow I am freaken fat now ) but anyway, a few years ago I had my 1st pit RIP and I had no problems with him and he ended up being an american bully so was actually 80-90 lbs...I basicly started from day 1 with makeing sure he knew who was in charge, same as I do with my baby now. If you get commands really good like "Sit, stay, leave it, heel(working on this last one still" then I can have his major animal aggression (birds and squirls) run/fly by and tell him "leave it" and/or "stay" and he just watches them instead of pulling me down the street, it is a huge commitment and you have to work hard but in the long run you are rewarded with unconditional love.

---------- Post added at 04:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 AM ----------

ooo forgot to add another thing I do, when I let him meet people (my current 61 lb 10 month old) I make him sit and I hold the collar because then I am over him putting my body in the way of him knocking people over. I have done this when encountering dogs charging me and dogs on tie outs crossing the freaken sidewalk (yea we have smart people out here, some go into the street even) Anything to make me be able to overpower him if I need to. My fiance has found using a stiff arm football arm helps when he is running around crazy and we want him to stop lol, I have done the same thing and its like no muscle power at all he just kinda loses balance and down in the grass he goes and I can get him to focus on me again instead of seeing how much grass he can tare up while running in the yard

Old 06-10-2009, 03:05 PM   #5
mXr8icOB

I'm 5'3 a hundred and 30lbs. Ok I'm not as small as you but my boy can pull a 200lb weight pull cart. And were training him to pull more. If I can walk my 60lb boy, you can do it too with training. And some don't get that big. It depends on the bloodline. I know of a 30lb apbt and she does weight pull. And yes my dog has broken my foot doing the zoomies with a friends dog. Shoulder clipped my knee and over I went. Just remember training is what's important and my boy is dog selective.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:09 PM   #6
Gymnarnemia

First of all, good for you for seeing how you could have issues. Thats great insight that I wish more people had.

Pit bulls come in all sizes and with training your size should not be a problem. If your very worried, just seek out a smaller dog, or, adopt one which has been tested with other dogs and is not DA.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:11 PM   #7
Fdhwzctl

I'm 5'3 and 114lbs.. I have a great dane and an APBT and i walk them together.. My dane is 150lbs and my APBT is 60lbs.. I use prong collars, and I also trained them on the leash. Now the aggression, thats where you use avoidance. Me and the dogs walk at night when most people are in bed to avoid any incidents.

If you find yourself in a fight, I suggest buying a breakstick, Colbydogs sells some really nice ones on here. You can PM him about them. Welcome to the breed.. And I know there are smaller women are here than me who handle multiple dogs.. IE Apbtmom76. Size isnt an excuse to not own one of these dogs. But I do suggest learning all you can before you jump into this breed. They are much different than any other.

And I agee with Alma on her suggestions.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:16 PM   #8
rXpX

is it just about impossible for me to over power this breed?
Over-power physically? Maybe... Mentally? Definitely not.

I am not a big guy, only about 155 lbs., and it is next to impossible for ME to over power my big male, Magnus who is about 90 lbs. (avatar). This is where training comes into play.

The difference between my weight and Magnus' weight is about the same difference percentage wise you would face if you adopted a 55 lb. dog.

Also, as others have said, adopting an adult dog with a known temperament (non DA) might mean you never have to attempt to physically over-power your dog.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:19 PM   #9
syptopsygieds

If you train the dog well, no problem.

I'm 5'8" and 130lbs... I've walked my old roommates 100lb lab/ridgeback mix (who is selective DA) and my 50lb GSD/Sibe mix (dog reactive) together many times, even w/o prong collars. Now I don't think I'd walk a "pit bull" type dog in tandem with another dog (it would be a nightmare to break up a huge fight if something happened), but I'm comfortable walking two big strong dogs who are definitely a handful together because I've worked with them enough and know them well enough. Well and I'm pretty strong for my size too.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:28 PM   #10
exettybele

I am 5'4" and 95lbs and I have no problems. I have a 70lbs AmStaff and a 60lbs pitmix. As long as you train your dog and it knows who is incharge (it obeys you) you shouldn't have any problems.
There are pits out there that are not 100lbs. Look into getting a smaller slimmer pit.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:37 PM   #11
stuntduood

Is there a dog rescue in your area? If so, they are almost always looking for help walking the dogs. This would give you a chance to become more familiar with the breed.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:02 PM   #12
exettybele

Shop 9625: That is a great idea. This will also help you become more comfortable and familiar with this breed. Plus you never know who you may fall in love with once you go.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:02 PM   #13
actifadepette

Is there a dog rescue in your area? If so, they are almost always looking for help walking the dogs. This would give you a chance to become more familiar with the breed.
and you would also see the dogs that the rescue has on a more intimate basis (walking weekly or whenever you get the chance) so you might end up finding your dream dog there.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:22 PM   #14
Maribellin

I am seriously considering adopting a pitbull puppy. Of course after reading even a little on pit bulls I realized early it is a bigger commitment then getting any other dog.
True. WHY do you want a Pit Bull? Is the breed a good match for your lifestyle , living environment and previous dog experience?

Just questions I think anyone thinking of getting a particular breed need to ask themselves...

Carla

Old 06-10-2009, 06:23 PM   #15
BinasiDombrs

Pitbulls are pretty much going to be stronger than the owner in general. It really just comes down to how much control you have over your dog, because if he really wants to get away, he probably would be able to. You don't run much more a risk than any of the rest of us. lol.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:37 PM   #16
Maribellin

I am pretty nervous that if it came to breaking up my dog from another, if even a break stick could help. And with walking, if the dog pulls me, is it just about impossible for me to over power this breed?
Thanks guys!
Another thing about owning a capable breed -- You have to be confident in your ability to handle the dog and, with this breed, dealing with all the issues inherent in having one.

If you aren't sure, if you don't KNOW you can handle the dog and deal with all the issues involved, don't get a Pit Bull!

Carla

Old 06-10-2009, 06:40 PM   #17
Indian Butt Magic

Train your dog.

Then it doesn't matter how small you are, or how large your dog is (though keep in mind that bulldogs aren't large, but they ARE strong).

Train YOURSELF.

That way, if your training on the dog is trumped by genetics (which happens!), you'll still be able to handle the situation.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:56 PM   #18
pharmaclid

I agree w/ everyone so far. I'm another small girl (5'2" & 110#). Training is key. My dog is 65# & could overpower me if he wanted, but he doesn't even challenge me the slightest.

I suggest you find someone who has a pit bull (a responsible someone!) & hang out w/ them for a bit. Get to know their dog & talk to them about how they got to where they're at. This will help you decide if this breed is for you. If you'd like, list what city & state you live in, & you might get some volunteers from here to help you out!

Good luck!

Old 06-10-2009, 07:44 PM   #19
celddiskend

Another thing about owning a capable breed -- You have to be confident in your ability to handle the dog and, with this breed, dealing with all the issues inherent in having one.

If you aren't sure, if you don't KNOW you can handle the dog and deal with all the issues involved, don't get a Pit Bull!

Carla
Great post!

Old 06-10-2009, 08:42 PM   #20
Scfdglkn

Training is the key. I'm not a petite girl by any means at 5'7", but handling the dog is all about training it. If you go into it with determination, not intimidation, you will be fine. Get a break stick, they work wonders and can break up a fight within seconds. I think anyone that takes the time to learn how to use a break stick can break up a fight. You can train your dog to loose leash walk, and to "leave it" when he sees another dog walking down the street. It takes commitment from you, but it can be done. Here's a link that will help you understand the correct way to use a break stick.

Pit Bull Rescue Central-break sticks

Responsible uses of a Breakstick - Training & Behavior

Reply to Thread New Thread