LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 10-01-2009, 04:09 AM   #1
Frogzlovzy

Default UGGH need to vent!
So my neighbors have two dogs (if you ask me they have no business owning one) an elderly obese choco-lab and an 2 or so anorexic dachshund and they are driving me mad! They are both "inside" dogs and the owners feel the need to let them out several times a night for whatever reason and these mutts come tromping out barking at nothing, 12, 2, 4, 6am for as much as an hour at a time and they make no attempts to stop them. I have always been a light sleeper so its waking me up several times a night. And Im losing my patience... even when the dogs are out during the day they come charging the fence barking at me Lexi and Chamberlin when I take them out and my dogs come up to them wagging their tails and dont bark at all... in fact my dogs never bark unless they feel something is out of the ordinary, or maybe if they have a squirrel up a tree... am I mistaken or is that kinda what a bark is for? Does anyone else have this problem and anyone have any advice on how to approach the owners without causing tension? We have only lived in this house since May so we dont know them all that well.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:16 AM   #2
Encannavalf

Wow... I feel for you girl!! One of the reasons all my dogs come inside and are crated at night, every night.... and I live in the country, 30 miles from town, on 25 acres! But I do have neighbors scattered about, so I bring in the three big dogs (Titus, Max and Zoe) and crate them every single night, so they not only don't disturb the neighbors, but don't keep me awake either. If they start barking, Mollie will hear them, and then she starts barking at them. So between 9 and 10 every night, they all come inside and are crated for the evening.

You might try to just go over there and talk to them, tell them you are a light sleeper and once you are awakened, you can't go back to sleep and would they please not let them out at all hours of the night.... it might work, depending on how "nice" the neighbors are. I'd at least give it a shot. Maybe make some brownies or cookies and take with you.... kinda as a "peace offering".

Old 10-01-2009, 04:18 AM   #3
Gaxiciverfere

Now that is strange ..... my first thought was - when do your neighbors sleep?

Sorry - may not have much of an advise for you as I am not a good diplomat, usually just say what I feel or I don't say anything.

Maybe inviting them over maybe a good idea to get to know them and ask them about their sleep? And about the dogs sleep? And also tell them how important it is for you to get a good night sleep.... Well, maybe too much sleep talk though...

Old 10-01-2009, 04:20 AM   #4
TorryJens

Do you have a noise ie:barking,loud music after certain hours.. (NYC we can call 311 and complain)....talk to your neighbors about not letting them out at 12 midnight-5:00 am....I'm sure your not the only one having issues with this.

I can see around 6:00 am....if they are working people..let the dogs out to do their business and put back in...but with these odd hours they probably go to sleep after you working stiffs go to work.

I try to let "Max" out around 7am (he's pretty good holding his pee) he likes to bark at the stray cats in the neighbor's yard and sometimes his barking (10-15 minutes) starts wearing on my nerves.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:21 AM   #5
GotActichwicy

That sucks. I now my boyfriend and I are night people (we are up until at least 5 or 6 in the morning). But we are always make sure when we let our dogs out that they do not bark or if they start barking we bring them in right away. That is just rude of your neighbors. I would first talk to them and see if they can try to fix them problem.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:26 AM   #6
tpJKhY8Z

I would recommend talking to them and if they refuse to make a compromise with you I'd check out your county or city ordinances...

In my county a dog is permitted to bark for 15 minutes of reasonable bark time but I'm pretty sure that time limit vanishes after a certain time of day...I'd have to double check... Check the Ordinance and if they don't budge make a complaint to Animal Control and document the exact times and days it's happening too and give it to the Animal Control.

I'd try the peaceful approach first but if that fails I'd make war...Inconsiderate neighbors drive me Crazy and I do have a few...

Old 10-01-2009, 04:41 AM   #7
Encannavalf

Something else I just thought about.... if you get nowhere with the neighbors, you might try investing in one of those "white noise" machines. I have one I bought from Avon years ago, but now you can get them at Walmart. You have different sounds to choose from, but the one that helps me fall asleep the best is a mixture of white noise/ocean sounds with a sprinkle of wind chimes every now and then. It was about $20 and well worth the money. I turn it on if the roosters down the road start crowing and wake me up too early on Saturday mornings.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:57 AM   #8
nushentelve

Are your neighbors frigging insomniacs ??

Check your local noise ordinances...in our town it's after 10PM.

Have a chat with the neighbors, if that doesn't work, tell them you'll be forced to call the cops.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:16 AM   #9
UMATURLIN

and I live in the country, 30 miles from town, on 25 acres!
There she goes again......

Old 10-01-2009, 05:16 AM   #10
Frogzlovzy

HAHA I have always wondered when they sleep, they have always had wonky times of doing things, like dinner will be as late as 11pm for them... I should add that they have two little boys, now that school is back everyone seems to be gone during the day. Not only do they have the annoying dogs, they have the pool that hasn't been used in years and the "muscle car" that the dad thinks he will fix somedayl, but really just sits next to the garage making their yard look more like a junk yard, and my husband is convinced that they toss garbage into our yard. Ill have to make my husband go and talk to the dad over there, since i have been known to lose my temper

As far as waging war goes, I get nervous that it could turn nasty for us since we have two "pits" we had an issue at the last house with a neighbor that was scared of the breed, and I really dont want these people making false reports on us.

Reply to Thread New Thread