LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 10-01-2009, 03:10 AM   #1
dhYTvlAv

Default Animal shelter rules
Hello this is my 1st real post other than introductions, I am still getting the hang of this whole thing. My whole reason for wanting to join a pit bull forum was to have this one topic that weighs on my mind daily discussed with people that actually care about pits as much as I do. So here goes...
I had decided a while ago that with all the talk about puppy mills and that you should adopt instead of buy from a breeder that I would go check out my local animal shelter. When I did I saw so many beautiful pitties, some not so nice, a lot with scars and some that I just wanted to take home right then and there. But when I saw this beautiful blue and white 3 month old female the volunteer that was in with the puppies reluctantly told me that you could not have any children in the home under 12. He was not happy with this rule and I sure wasn't happy with this rule. My first pit was given to me by a friend of a friend that could no longer have him. He was on a chain his whole life and stolen and fought for a good period of time until the guy that gave him to me found him and put him back on the chain until he came to live with us. I was scared to death of him but it didn't take long before he was a house dog and a part of the family. My story with him ended very sadly when he was stolen from us. My kids still talk about Snoop to this day. And that is was started my addiction and hours of research, and also led to many more pitties after Snoop.
My biggest question is where do pit bulls stand on the bite list? I saw on Dogs 101 that #1 is German Shepard #2 Chow-Chow #3 Golden Retriever. But I can go into the shelter and adopt any of those dogs any day but not a pit.
This is sad to me because now it seems I won't be able to save a pit in need of a home I will have to buy a puppy from a breeder.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:17 AM   #2
TorryJens

Bad Rap this go around it's Pits

You've had Rotts (who I believe are number 1 on the "bite parade" than the German Shepherd-- #2) back when The Omen (original movie) aired in the mid-70's,than the German Shepherd replaced them in the 80's and shared that bad reputation with the Doberman Pincher.

But soon there will be a new breed to take the reign from the Pitties...just a matter of time.

Funny around here there is nothing but Pits and people are going else where to adopt dogs that are not....

Old 10-01-2009, 03:30 AM   #3
pharmaclid

That's too bad about the shelter's rule, but what about adopting a dog from a rescue? There are lots of pit bull rescue groups in CA.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:54 AM   #4
wizardasa

Sadly, a lot of shelter rules (such as the no kids one and the must not have other dogs one) discriminate against the very owners who are reputable and knowledgable about the dogs they are intending to adopt.

I myself was denied a deaf 'pit bull' all because I own other females and there could be no same-sex dogs in the household. After 6 months, I finally read her pitiful memorial about how no one wanted her thus she was another euthanasia statistic. Too bad their own egos killed her.

My advice is to look online for other rescues near you. I know most prefer adoptions within a certain distance, but I also know of people who have adopted dogs cross-country.

Don't give up. If you really want to adopt, where this is a will there is a way.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:55 AM   #5
Encannavalf

I'd check with a rescue in your area. I'm sure if you look around, you can find one close by. Also, you might want to check petfinder.com. You key in your zip code, and it will bring up what ever you want, male or female, young or adult, and you can type in "pit bull" and get pages and pages of dogs that are in desperate need of a good home that are within driving distance from where you are.

Reply to Thread New Thread