LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 06-09-2009, 09:22 PM   #1
Switiespils

Default My girl lost her momma young
I rescued my girl Tasha at 10 weeks old but she had already been thru hell and back at such a young age. From what we know she was born in West Virginia. The mother died when the pups were 3 weeks old and only 3 of the babies survived - all girls. They realized they couldn't care for the babies with no mom and took them to a large shelter. A woman in PA rescued them from the shelter sight unseen because she says she knew they wouldn't survive in a large shelter situation either. The woman took her to a vet. She had many other full grown and 8-9 mos old pups of other breeds in the house but Tasha was the last of her sisters adopted out. Her father took the light fawn and light brindle. Tasha was the smaller of the girls. When we met her we fell head over heels in love and were able to take her home that day since she had checked out app out already.

First time we took her to the vet we had her other vet records transferred and found out she had previously had a few seizures and coccidia. My vet says coccidia is not an everyday parasite and she must have been in some terrible conditions. They also think she was exposed to something else that caused the seizures. When we got her she had a terrible cough too that was listed by the other Vet as pneumonia. She may have at one point had heartworm as well.

I am happy to say that today Tasha is fully vaccinated and the Vet gave her a clean bill of health the other day. There have been no further seizures. No parasites. He said its amazing how far she has come. She is now 5 months old and 35lbs. She trains VERY well and is the sweetest most loving dog. Her best friend is my boy cat babyboy. We have 2 other cats that are less tolerant but its getting better. Babyboy was the most lay back with her right away. One of my other cats is special needs - blind most days, neurological problems, her one paw is curved funny. So I think that is why she is more freaked out. My mommacat is just territorial and a little jealous. They are all becoming more tolerant of eachother tho.

My question is with how early she lost her mom. Are there complications we should look for in regard to puppy manners or otherwise from this? Is ther anything we can do to be proactive? She luckily was homed with other grown dogs and a bunch of cats too and that helped socialize her I believe - but still not her momma. The older pups would knock her over playing and she should would fight her way back to us despite them being 3 times her size so she could greet us and come home with us. It was like she knew. I am almost afraid for how friendly and trusting she is with other dogs. I am afraid THEY will come after her. The neighbors dog snarls thru the fence and Tasha keeps wagging and wanting to play. She loves every dog she meets and wants to play with them. She greets them ears back and whole butt wagging LOL. Of course they are all not so thrilled to meet her but some are. I cautiously let them sniff and meet eachother. I do understand that with her breed she will always be blamed in an altercation. So she is never off lead in an unpenned area.

Any advice would be appreciated.

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:16 PM ----------

Oh and what is with that limp doggy gator roll thing they do? LMAO. My dh plays tug with her (never letting her "win" of course) but she goes limp and holds on to that rope for dear life. He can even spin her on the floor when she does it and says "Disco Doggy" while he twirls her around. LOL. Why do they do that? Is this specific to the APBT or bully type breeds?

Old 06-09-2009, 09:24 PM   #2
Bobobsdo

Being rehomed with other animals will definitely help. One of the biggest issues with pups that lose a dam and are thus sold/given away so early is bite inhibition and manner issues.

However, I personally have pulled a 3-week-old pup from it's litter and dam (she was sick and mom was trying to get rid of her) and I handraised her allowing her around another dog as "guidance". She turned out to be a wonderful dog with absolutely no issues whatsoever.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:42 PM   #3
Switiespils

She was a little nippy at first but we trained it right out of her. What other manner issues do you mean? Will she not know proper manners with other dogs?

And what about the gator roll thing? Any thoughts on that?

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:39 PM ----------

PS - I absolutely LOVE your avatar. That doggy has the biggest smile I've ever seen LOL. So cute.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:56 PM   #4
RogerButton33

The biggest thing like Miakoda already said is bite inhabition. Most pups taken away from their mommas early are nippy, they need to be worked with and learn they cannot mouth us. Brat, my moms APBTxRottie was rescued when she was 4 weeks old and has had no problems other then it took a while to teach her not to chew on us. We're not a chew toy.

The gator roll. Diesel does it when he plays, I'm not so sure it is a bully thing but it's cute as hell, he holds on tight as he can and just lies there.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:08 PM   #5
valiumcheepval

The biggest thing like Miakoda already said is bite inhabition. Most pups taken away from their mommas early are nippy, they need to be worked with and learn they cannot mouth us. Brat, my moms APBTxRottie was rescued when she was 4 weeks old and has had no problems other then it took a while to teach her not to chew on us. We're not a chew toy.

The gator roll. Diesel does it when he plays, I'm not so sure it is a bully thing but it's cute as hell, he holds on tight as he can and just lies there.
our king does the gator roll too (=
so freakin cute

Old 06-09-2009, 10:11 PM   #6
Switiespils

Thanks DM. So maybe the worst of it is over. She was nippy but not anymore. As for the gator roll thing - I asked about it being a Bully thing because I've owned a great dane, a siberian husky and a timberland wolf and have never seen any of them do that. Its quite entertaining tho. He thinks disco doggy is a hoot and damn if she won't let go - not on her life.

I am amazed at her at just 5 months. She has almost everything - we just need to work on heel. Next dd wants her to teach her roll over. I want to teach her a trick I taught my husky - put her in a sit stay, put a treat on her nose and she doesn't move til you say good girl, she would flip it up and catch it. I think she needs to be older tho so she has more control. She still has a lot of puppy energy and sometimes throws poth paws at me when we practice "paw" "other paw" cuz she knows a treat is near.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:13 PM   #7
Bobobsdo

I think the gator-roll thing is just something she does and enjoyes doing. I've seen other dogs that have done it and none of them were APBTs. I've never had an APBT do it.

And I'm sure your pup will be fine. Obedience is a must with dogs.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:11 PM   #8
dgdhgjjgj

Your pup is adorable. Sounds like she's had a rough life.

The Gator roll thing.... Bella does it on a daily basis, pretty much on an hourly schedule.

Mollie has never done it, and neither have any of the other 4 dogs I have. Bella is the first. It is adorable though, and cracks me up every time.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:18 PM   #9
Xlkl9SFd

I'm sorry to interrupt.. but what is a gator roll?

Old 08-10-2009, 06:11 AM   #10
Switiespils

I'm sorry to interrupt.. but what is a gator roll?
She'll be playing tug and up and pulling and will just drop down and roll on her back and go totally limp except to hold onto tug(pull toy). You can drag her around like that and she will stay limp but hold on for dear life to tug. Then sometimes she will begin to roll from that position side to side (gator roll) She does it as a tug tactic sometimes to twist tug and try to "win" I guess but sometimes she'll just have an old sock that is tearing. As soon as you hold one end she starts with limp doggy and sometimes the whole gator roll. Its just funny tho. Gators when they get a hold of something do something similar to twist what they are gripping.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:14 AM   #11
Xlkl9SFd

Thank you!

Old 09-09-2009, 07:54 AM   #12
Switiespils

Thank you!
No problem. LOL. Sorry it took me so long.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:24 AM   #13
Kghikeds

I love the gator roll. You aint seen nothing untill youve seen Thor do it on wet grass hauling ass around the yard being chased by my dobe Diesel and then BAM, a sliding gator roll out of nowhere.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:27 AM   #14
Switiespils

I love the gator roll. You aint seen nothing untill youve seen Thor do it on wet grass hauling ass around the yard being chased by my dobe Diesel and then BAM, a sliding gator roll out of nowhere.
LOL you need to Youtube that! I have seen my girl just drop down in the yard and start doing it too. I always think she's itching her back or something then. LOL. Its different in the yard than what she does that starts with limp doggy holding a tug toy. Its like she has decided to relax every muscle in her body except for her jaw and head to hold on then next thing she starts rolling....or my husband starts spinning her and dragging her around and she don't let go. LOL. She's getting to big to drag now for fear the rug would hurt her or something. No more disco doggy. booooo I want to start hanging ropes and stuff for her to play with in the yard tho now that her big girl teeth are in. She loves to jump too. What an amazing jumper she is. She looked like a gazelle in a little leopard body running thru high grass one day. Gorgeous.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:41 AM   #15
tuszit

I want to start hanging ropes and stuff for her to play with in the yard tho now that her big girl teeth are in.
Do a search for "spring pole", there is a lot of information here on "hanging toys".

Old 09-09-2009, 09:48 AM   #16
Switiespils

Do a search for "spring pole", there is a lot of information here on "hanging toys".
Cool. Thanks for the tip. I like to read up on things first always. We have a good high deck over the back of the yard to use.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:24 PM   #17
Marlboro-oroblraM

There are quite a few stickies that may be informational to you in these forums;

Training & Behavior
Bite Inhibition

Health & Nutritional Care

Obedience & Sports

The Springpole

Old 09-09-2009, 10:15 PM   #18
Switiespils

There are quite a few stickies that may be informational to you in these forums;

Training & Behavior
Bite Inhibition

Health & Nutritional Care

Obedience & Sports

The Springpole
Thank you very much! I will check them all out. So much info here. Its awesome.

---------- Post added at 04:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 PM ----------

I LOVE your siggy pic btw. So darn cute I had to show my husband. Quite a beautiful pack you have there.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:20 PM   #19
dgdhgjjgj

She'll be playing tug and up and pulling and will just drop down and roll on her back and go totally limp except to hold onto tug(pull toy). You can drag her around like that and she will stay limp but hold on for dear life to tug. Then sometimes she will begin to roll from that position side to side (gator roll) She does it as a tug tactic sometimes to twist tug and try to "win" I guess but sometimes she'll just have an old sock that is tearing. As soon as you hold one end she starts with limp doggy and sometimes the whole gator roll. Its just funny tho. Gators when they get a hold of something do something similar to twist what they are gripping.
The visual of this cracks me up... Bella will flop down so hard that you think she's hurting herself when she gator rolls. They never loose their grip though!

Old 09-10-2009, 06:42 AM   #20
Switiespils

The visual of this cracks me up... Bella will flop down so hard that you think she's hurting herself when she gator rolls. They never loose their grip though!
They are worth their weight in gold just for entertainment value alone.

Reply to Thread New Thread