LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 08-29-2009, 01:58 PM   #1
SetSnonejog

Default This is sorta an odd subject
However have any of you ever gone through a custody battle with a dog?

My boyfriend and I just split up and he took the dog saying that because he paid for it its his. He doesnt have a receipt

However I have the papers from the breeder, and I emailed them asking them to send the birth certificate and other papers to my home.

Will he be able to keep the dog or since I have the papers its rightfully mine?

Old 08-29-2009, 02:20 PM   #2
Xxedxevh

Are the papers soley in your name? He hasn't signed anything? Just because you have them in hand doesn't mean you are the owner.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:24 PM   #3
SetSnonejog

we never got the birth certificate yet, our names are no where right now

---------- Post added at 08:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 AM ----------

Should I call and register him to my name on monday?

Old 08-29-2009, 04:57 PM   #4
MicoSiru

I think you should register them in your name and get the dog's vet records as well...in case they are in your name. I split up with my bf a few months ago but everything was in my name, including the bill of sale. Then again, he knew better than to fight me on it...he couldn't keep his betta fish alive without my help

Old 08-29-2009, 05:22 PM   #5
teentodiefows

HE paid for it????if he did then its his dog...unless it was a gift,but if you get all the paper work with your name on it and he tries to sue you,you have proof of ownership so you would probably get the dog..

Old 08-29-2009, 05:32 PM   #6
gZAhTyWY

Judge joe brown...

Old 08-29-2009, 05:41 PM   #7
teentodiefows

Judge joe brown...
haha if its an APBT judge joe brown wont give none of yall the dog

Old 08-29-2009, 05:47 PM   #8
Repwailia

IF my boyfriend and i ever broke up, say like tomorrow. he gets Aiyana and i get Adam and my fosters. i rather not think about that. i hope it never happens.

i'm sorry that this happened, to you sweetie

Old 08-29-2009, 05:50 PM   #9
Anymnillulky

Who's name is on the vet receipts? If you paid all the vet bills and he didn't pay for the dog w/ a check I don't see how he could claim the dog legally.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:16 PM   #10
WeestDype

was he a gift if not than i dont think u will win. he did pay for him. sorry but i think that is how it will go.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:44 PM   #11
SetSnonejog

it was a gift to me. But now he says it wasnt.

He's only been to the vet once because my ex forgot to take him all the other times.

But my ex's name is on the vet bills.

However I have the paper work, and sales receipts for everything ive bought for him

He doesnt take care of him, he doesnt pay attention to him basically ignores him, im afraid once he gets bigger and hes not trained properly hes going to bite someone and will be put to sleep.

i've honestly cried for like a day straight now, i told him he could have everything if i could just have the dog.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:54 PM   #12
saerensenatljn

IF my boyfriend and i ever broke up, say like tomorrow. he gets Aiyana and i get Adam and my fosters. i rather not think about that. i hope it never happens.

i'm sorry that this happened, to you sweetie
well when this happens, and you need sum1 to talk to you know where to come right! laced always got them words 2make ya smile!

Old 08-29-2009, 08:56 PM   #13
TOOGUEITEME

ok in my case He paid for the dogs and left the dogs. I paid to get the ears cut, vet bills, dog food and getting up poo for the last 6 months. so I feel they are mine

Old 08-29-2009, 08:58 PM   #14
SetSnonejog

like im seriously determined to get him back, he is my baby

Old 08-29-2009, 09:03 PM   #15
saerensenatljn

on another note, you may not see the dog again. my ex came to my house last year around x-mas, stole my dog (knowing thats the only way she could get 2 me). then when i called her to get him back she called the cops on me sayin' i was harassin her,at the time i was fresh out still fightin my case, when they showed up i told them the situation, they said unless i got receipts sayin that i took a loss over $800, with some kind of paperwork for the dog sayin he was mine, that they cant do anything about it. and they didnt. thank god her cuzzin (who lived with her) knew what was really goin on and knew what was rite, and braught him back to me when she left one day. i hope all goes well for you, good luck with this & lemme know what happens.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:13 PM   #16
SetSnonejog

well he just had two court cases, and is applying for probation

and he just got another fine last night for harassment when i called the cops on him for throwing me up against a wall

hes a great guy

he can barely take care of himself how is he going to take care of a dog

Old 08-29-2009, 09:14 PM   #17
Misiotoagodia

Well this happened to me; my ex bf and I at first decided to "share" the dog but then he came by one night for a drunken bootie call and tried to use the dog as a pawn (said I couldn't take her that weekend seeing as I wouldn't sleep with his sorry ass).

So, I waited till I knew he'd be passed out, went over to his apt. (which used to be ours), broke in and took my dog.

I found out much later, when he tried calling the police they reminded him there were two sides to every story and was he sure he wanted them to hear my side of it? So he dropped it

it was a gift to me. But now he says it wasnt.

He's only been to the vet once because my ex forgot to take him all the other times.

But my ex's name is on the vet bills.

However I have the paper work, and sales receipts for everything ive bought for him

He doesnt take care of him, he doesnt pay attention to him basically ignores him, im afraid once he gets bigger and hes not trained properly hes going to bite someone and will be put to sleep.

i've honestly cried for like a day straight now, i told him he could have everything if i could just have the dog.
Well that answers my next question; It shouldn't be who paid for the dog but who is the dog better off with now. Which is you. Sending good thoughts your way.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:18 PM   #18
SetSnonejog

this makes me have hope guys.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:55 PM   #19
Sdinozes

I went through a similar situation with my ex I had the dog because she couldnt take care of it then 2 months later she deiceded it was her dog and she wanted it back.

From all the research I have done dog's are considered little more then possesions in most places and unfortunately possesion is 9/10s of the law so if he has the dog now it is going to be really hard for you to prove beyond a doubt it is your dog and obtain it ........legally that is. Now if the situation was reversed he would have a really hard time proving that its his dog.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:21 PM   #20
SetSnonejog

If i have papers with my name on it, will it be easier?

His dad is trying to talk to him about letting me have him

Reply to Thread New Thread