LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 07-15-2009, 02:40 AM   #1
intendepods

Default When is it time for Another?
We have a Beautiful 6 month old female. We have been throwing around the idea of getting her a friend. We want to wait until she is completly obiedience trained.

Is 1 year old an ok age for getting another puppy? or is it too soon?
The biggest concern i have is jelousy. I love my pup more than i love my kids. j/k but she is my everything.

Also iv been looking for a reputable breeder in the sacramento area, but most seem BYB. Is There any suggestions? We are looking for a breeder that breeds for a solid temperment and health.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:42 AM   #2
mikelangr

Is she your first bully breed?

Old 07-15-2009, 02:49 AM   #3
hereiamguy

This breed can be DA so if you get another one, you might have to eventually crate and rotate.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:53 AM   #4
exschke

http://www.pbrc.net/second_dog.html

Old 07-15-2009, 03:05 AM   #5
AsmViktor

I'm in Sac also- we decided to add our second additiona when Mika was 2 1/2 and it has worked out REALLY well. the 2 have become BEST friends. We didnt go through a breeder though- Bubba (our 2nd) is a rescue. I would recommend making sure that your first pup is thoroughly training before adding a second. My two seem to feed off eachother and it seems as though Mika (my first) has really taught Bubba the ropes around our house. Also, make sure the 2 meet before you just bring home the new one. It's important to see how they interact. Good luck!

Old 07-15-2009, 03:18 AM   #6
r9tbayfC

Seeing as this breed usually matures into dog aggression I wouldn't add another until she is 2 or older and I would go for an adult male. Still no guarentee they will get along forever or not fight but helps your chances. This breed really doesn't need doggy friends though as they were created to fight other dogs and you won't be able to leave them unsupervised ever. If you get another dog it should be for you, we added a year old male to our 3 year old female and while they tolerate each other they don't really play or seek out the other.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:31 AM   #7
Fouttysotlalf

Ya.... a year old is still pretty much a baby and chances are, she'll get more challenging in the next few months, not less.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:48 AM   #8
intendepods

Is she your first bully breed?
No, This is my third that iv personally owned but my uncle always had them.

Seeing as this breed usually matures into dog aggression I wouldn't add another until she is 2 or older and I would go for an adult male. Still no guarentee they will get along forever or not fight but helps your chances. This breed really doesn't need doggy friends though as they were created to fight other dogs and you won't be able to leave them unsupervised ever. If you get another dog it should be for you, we added a year old male to our 3 year old female and while they tolerate each other they don't really play or seek out the other.
This site has made my views on this breed swat quite a bit. I was always was the one saying "A Pit is only as bad as its owner" but everybody is saying that it is genetics and you cant fight that arguement.

Maybe iv just had GREAT luck with our previous dogs. All of them have been mixed with other dogs since they where young and havent had any serious spats with other dogs.

Iv been around them for 23 years and 9 pits that i can remember and non of them have been DA with Proper socialization.

On the other hand I can think of 4 Pitbulls that are mean as hell. But again not proper socializing.

I will probaly wait until shes 2 like you guys suggested.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:15 PM   #9
exschke

i'm sure this was probably mention in here. nothing wrong with another reminder, i agree that this breed doesn't need any doggy friends. so if you do add another dog, it should be for YOU and not for the dog!

Old 07-16-2009, 04:22 AM   #10
intendepods

i'm sure this was probably mention in here. nothing wrong with another reminder, i agree that this breed doesn't need any doggy friends. so if you do add another dog, it should be for YOU and not for the dog!
But what about when shes home alone when we are at work? Shes probly lonley!

Old 07-16-2009, 04:26 AM   #11
DoctorGordanBens

I say do it start out with a pup first do it besides it may be more work but twice the fun

---------- Post added at 10:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 PM ----------

But do it for you though!

Old 07-16-2009, 05:00 AM   #12
RadcliffXX

But what about when shes home alone when we are at work? Shes probly lonley!
Well you wouldn't be able to leave them alone together anyway, nothing like coming home to two dead dogs after they fought over the best spot on the couch.

Like everyone else has said, it's better to wait until she is more matured and is officially not DA. I would also suggest getting an adult(and male) to make sure he won't develope DA, C&R can be a pain in the you know what

Old 07-16-2009, 05:16 AM   #13
mikelangr

I got my male when my female was about year. She was pretty high energy so I figured he would help wear her out. He was just a pup. They get along great.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:22 AM   #14
Alupleintilla

This site has made my views on this breed swat quite a bit. I was always was the one saying "A Pit is only as bad as its owner" but everybody is saying that it is genetics and you cant fight that arguement.
"As bad as the owner" in what way? Just tongue in cheek here, but do you mean that, if the owner doesn't like other dogs, their dog will also not like other dogs?

Dog aggression is not considered "mean" (btw.. I have real problems with calling an animal "mean". It's just a pet peeve of mine, but to me, "mean" describes the human trait of willfully doing harm to another and deriving some sort of satisfaction from it). It is considered a very likely trait in Terriers in general and APBT's or other fighting breeds in particular. Dog aggression can have many causes as well... so.. it is not a shocking, weird, abnormal thing when an APBT decides at some point that being challenged by another dog needs to be met with extreme force.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:37 AM   #15
intendepods

Well you wouldn't be able to leave them alone together anyway, nothing like coming home to two dead dogs after they fought over the best spot on the couch.

No. i WILL be leaving them together alone.

Like everyone else has said, it's better to wait until she is more matured and is officially not DA. I would also suggest getting an adult(and male) to make sure he won't develope DA, C&R can be a pain in the you know what
That is a very good idea i did not think of.

I got my male when my female was about year. She was pretty high energy so I figured he would help wear her out. He was just a pup. They get along great.

Gorgeous dogs!!!

"As bad as the owner" in what way? Just tongue in cheek here, but do you mean that, if the owner doesn't like other dogs, their dog will also not like other dogs?

Dog aggression is not considered "mean" (btw.. I have real problems with calling an animal "mean". It's just a pet peeve of mine, but to me, "mean" describes the human trait of willfully doing harm to another and deriving some sort of satisfaction from it). It is considered a very likely trait in Terriers in general and APBT's or other fighting breeds in particular. Dog aggression can have many causes as well... so.. it is not a shocking, weird, abnormal thing when an APBT decides at some point that being challenged by another dog needs to be met with extreme force.
What i ment by "as bad as the owner" was that the owner didnt take the proper steps in training and socializing. For example: just bought a puppy and stuck it in the backyard. Than once it was matured it was never taught maners, obdieance, and to be social.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:57 AM   #16
RadcliffXX

That is a very good idea i did not think of.

Gorgeous dogs!!!

What i ment by "as bad as the owner" was that the owner didnt take the proper steps in training and socializing. For example: just bought a puppy and stuck it in the backyard. Than once it was matured it was never taught maners, obdieance, and to be social.
Exactly what I thought when I first joined, however, after seeing multiple dogs turn DA and such, I've really understood that DA is something that can be made(i.e. the dog was attacked by another dog and is fearful and aggressive now) but it is also genetic and genes are something you can't change, once they're there, they're there to stay

Old 07-16-2009, 03:44 PM   #17
drycleden

If you want another dog, then get it for you, and only you, not for your dog.

"Pit Bulls" are people dogs, not dog dogs. So, they are content getting to spend all their time with you, and nothing else.

If you do decided to get another dog for yourself, then ask yourself these questions. 1) Am I willing to keep them separate when I can not supervise them? and 2) If they ever get into a fight, am I willing to keep them separate from then on out?
If you answered no to one or both of those questions, then stick to one dog. if you answered yes, then keep considering getting another dog.

Reply to Thread New Thread