LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 05-08-2009, 03:51 AM   #1
Nemerov

Default Your family vs your dogs
How do you come to an agreement or understanding about your dogs with your family? My whole family (my side) dislike my dogs because of their breed, but most of them do not hassle me about it.. I just have to make sure they are crated and such when they are over. But there are a few who will just not let it go.. I get reminded to keep my kids safe and never turn my back on my dogs, over and over again. My mother wont touch them or let them near her, but was the first to offer to help pay for the vet when they get sick (if I am short on cash at the moment). My grandmother tells me almost evertime I talk to her that if they ever hurt one of her great grandbabies, she will never forgive me (shes had a bad past with pitbulls... her neighbors had real mean dogs who kept getting in her yard and pinning her in her garden.. she finally had animal control take them away). I try to understand her preception of big dogs in general, but come on... state what you gotta say and leave it be. My grandfather is the worst.. I have spent the past 3 days getting my rear chewed over taking them to the vet. I keep getting told to let them suffer - that they are just dogs. but this is coming from a man who chewed my rear out few years back for not taking my pomeranian to the vet (telling me she was my responsability).. (btw my pom just needed shots.. wasnt sick or anything).. what am I suppose to do? let my dogs suffer from my ignorance? what am I doing so wrong.. I know its not because they are dogs in general, its because they are *pitbulls*. I have tried getting them to read on pitbulls and learn the facts, but they refuse. I have offered to muzzle my dogs until they got use to them then attempt without the muzzle, but they refuse. What can I do? I own 2 of the best dogs I have ever seen (maybe not the best behaved, but thats my fault not theirs) and noone in my family can see it. all they see is 2 pitbulls who they think will be the death of my children (just because they are labeled pitbulls). with the exception of a few, my in laws love my dogs.. My in laws think its because my family was raised to hate them... but so was I. I was told if I see one, run... and when I can't run no more - pick up a stick and hit them with it until they dont move anymore. and here I am - owning 2 of them and loving every minute of it. If I can love them, why can't my family? How do I help them to see how great they are? (I guess I am just venting more than I am anything.. I am just upset. I have no clue what I am doing wrong by taking them to the vet and saving them?)

Old 05-08-2009, 04:00 AM   #2
Eromaveabeara

your nicer than i am i refuse to kennel or muzzle my dogs just because someone comes over and is ignorant

i have 2 family members who are scared of pitbulls and wont even come to my house because of it and to that i say fine im not going to kiss somebodies ass because they wont take a few minutes to do a little research

Old 05-08-2009, 04:03 AM   #3
Mmzmptvk

Personally I have no problem telling people to mind their own business, even family. If people have an issue with my dog they don't have to come to my house and I could honestly care less.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:11 AM   #4
Nemerov

I wish I could have that attitude.. with some of them I do, but with some, I cant. My mother has custody of my son (I let her adopt him last year due to his health) and I can't ness tell her either deal with it or stay away lol.

---------- Post added at 09:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

I did just email my grandfather back and tell him its the way it is.. he believes how he believes and I do the way I do... I also reminded him that his *shitzu* has biten my children more than my *pitbulls* have. I also told him I meant no disrespect and loved him more than anything in this world, but heneeded to respect me as well.

---------- Post added at 09:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 PM ----------

I just hate it.. its my family and I am a HUGE family person. but it bothers me that I can't bring my dogs to get to gethers when every single other dog in our family is allowed there.. or when they come over they sit and honk instead of getting out.. its really hurtful in a sense..

Old 05-08-2009, 04:43 AM   #5
JAMES PIETERSE

My family has learned to deal with my dog. They can not win a debate with me that american pit bull terriers are unpredictable. Considering how i won 20 $ from my uncle who i said. if you guess the correct pit bull in all these test. u get 20 $ from me and vice veral. he got them wrong on all test

some of my family love pit bulls. some dont. but none of them disrespect or discriminate with my dog

Old 05-08-2009, 05:52 AM   #6
PriniMai

I am really lucky with my family and my in laws. I have always been the one to bring home stray animals ever since I could walk so my family kind of expected it. I take Jaci to my parent's house all the time and when my dad first met her he asked if she is a Pit Bull and when I answered him he leaned over and was petting her. When we rescued her my in laws called me up and asked when they get to meet their new grand daughter.

I have an aunt that wants me to crate her when she comes over and I won't because my dog lives here not her. She deals with it.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:57 AM   #7
Nemerov

I was the same way.. always bringing strays home.. I even rescued a doe once.. his momma was hit by a car and we kept him in the stalls with our horses.

I got my mom to come in once with Tinkerbell on the couch laying down, but soons as she sat up to see who came to see her.. my mom jetted back out the door slamming it in my face lol. I just laughed at her and told her she was more dangerous to Tinkerbell than she was to her..

Old 06-07-2009, 01:07 PM   #8
diundasmink

I've never had a family member have an issue with Veronica. I'm not sure if they were all naturally unbiased; or if some did have reservations which went away when they met her.

The exception being my father-in-law who makes jokes about my "killer dog"; but you have to understand my father in law...he busts everybodys' butt about something constantly. He doesn't mean any of it, he just loves to try to rile people up; and since he picks on all of us all the time we have learned to never take him seriously. (And I know he doesn't mean it, because he treats V. just like all the other dogs.)

Old 06-07-2009, 02:22 PM   #9
hereiamguy

If you don't like my dog, feel free to not visit me.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:18 PM   #10
Timoxari

I'm with you Michele if you don't like Odie don't come to my house. I only have one person in my family who doesn't want to visit and cries about how evil these dogs are. Yes my mom has been around American Pit bull Terriers since I was 5 and she's still nervous about her granddaughter being around the vicious breed of dog. My aunt still has one. It's been over 28 yrs around the breed and she still worries.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:21 PM   #11
mikelangr

Im lucky, all my family loves my dogs. Theyve heard the hype bs, but, they know me and they know I know my dogs so they trust wheat I say over the news.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:48 PM   #12
Buincchotourb

My sister refuses to come to my house because of the dogs. We use to be super close and talk almost everyday but now I am lucky if I see her at holidays. I really do not mind. My other family is cool with my dogs.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:54 PM   #13
Anykeylo

My dogs are part my family. If you don't like them then you are free to stay away. Sometimes you must make a choice. It is very easy for me but I can understand how difficult a choice this could be for some people. I'm really sorry that have to be in this position.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:08 PM   #14
ceagsoosy

My dogs live at my home. They do not. Plain and simple. Don't like it, don't come around. Friend or family alike.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:26 PM   #15
AsmViktor

i go through the same thing with my dad. my mom adores both bubba and mika and walks around defending pits to the world because she loves them so much since getting to know my dogs. but my dogs arent allowed at my parents house if my dad is home. he doesnt know my dogs at all but refuses to even look at them because they are pits. its very frusterating. but if he is going to be ignorant that is his fault. there is really nothing i can do about it. i make fun of him from time to time throwing random steroetypes out there that i know he doesnt believe in just to make him try and see how silly he is being. it is really unfortuant though, because i love my dogs like there are my kids and it really sucks not to be able to take them to my own parents house!

Old 06-07-2009, 06:26 PM   #16
kertionderf

I grew up with these dogs and so many of my family have them that to us they're just normal dogs. My fiance's family is different and they buy into the media hype about these vicious baby killers. They think my dogs are an exception to the rule, however, because "it's all in how you raise them". But like others have said, if you don't like my dogs, you don't have to come visit me. I train my dogs to be polite, don't allow jumping, or obnoxious behavior but I will not kennel, crate, and no way will I muzzle them just because a guest has issues with them.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:32 PM   #17
lLianneForbess

If you come to my house... you see my dogs.... and a few pit kisses are just about madatory, like an admission fee.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:55 PM   #18
Nemerov

It usually does not bother me.. they have their thoughts and I have mine.. but getting chewed out over spending money on them for the vet has really upset me. I am almost to the point that if they are not welcome, then neither am I. I don't see how my husbands side of the family can be so easy going with them, but my side just can not. Wednesday is Tinkerbells spay but also the day we have people coming out to do our roof and remodeling on the house.. I was talking to my mother about it last night and how I was not going to stick Tinkerbell in the yard the first few days after surgery, but the room her crate is in is geting tore up to be remodeled.. she informed me to just make sure she is chained up under some shade outside.. but then my father in law (out of the blue) said.. bring her crate to us and we will keep her inside while they finish her room. ( not that that will happen, Ive seen how they care for their pets ), but the thought was nice.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:54 PM   #19
eEwbYjOH

Yeah if people don't like my dogs and cats, they don't need to visit us. But my family for the most part loves animals especially dogs.

I can't believe the ignorance of some people not wanting to see your dogs because they are 'pit bulls' ..

Old 06-07-2009, 09:13 PM   #20
kuklame

Personally I have no problem telling people to mind their own business, even family. If people have an issue with my dog they don't have to come to my house and I could honestly care less.
Your house, your rules. You shouldn't bend over backwards for anyone.

Reply to Thread New Thread