LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 05-20-2009, 03:59 AM   #1
BodoidearoLew

Default Sometimes, being a responsible owner means not being an owner at all.
My 9 month old male pit Bo, became mine at only 11 weeks old because his original owners did not want him and was going to give him to a pit fighter. I knew absolutely nothing about this breed and had my reservation about taking him home, but I did not have it in my heart to knowingly let an animal go into such a cruel sport. After taking him home I absolutely feel in love with Bo, out of all my dogs he was my baby. I still did not do my research and found out the hard way what happens when that puppy grows up and you leave a 9 month old male pit in the same fence with a male chaweenie and a a male Basset Hound. Bo and my Basset had always loved each other, but one night they got into a fight while outside in the yard. It was from my perspective, having only owned little dogs, a pretty bad fight. It was not a matter of thinking "oh they will never fight" I was just Completely ignorant about having a dog of this breed. I have no idea that you could not leave them with other dogs, I did not realize they could not be left only in a fence, ect. After the fight I then got on this site and found out the reality of the situation and that the fighting would not be a one time only incident. I have three other dogs besides Bo and to be honest I would have rehomed them in order to keep Bo if I could have afforded to buy/build a kennel. Unfortunately, I am just ill equiped and in my opinion not knowledgeable enough yet about the breed to be a responsible safe owner, the type of owner Bo deserves. I struggled very hard as to what to do, my dad and I even built a separate fence the night of the fight to keep Bo in. But after having read everyone's post and even having some of my own answered I knew what was the right thing to do, and the best thing for Bo. I decided rehoming Bo, given that I found a proper owner would be the thing to do. I was very fortunate because a friend of mine that loves dogs, especially this breed was will to take him and had no other dogs and proper housing for him. I honestly believe rehoming Bo was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do, it has been a few days and I am still crying and upset over it. Everyone keeps telling me "it's just a dog" but for me Bo was such an amazing companion and he enriched my life so much. I know I am rambling a bit, but this was something that I needed to express and I also wanted to thank everyone for sharing all their knowledge. This site is amazing and should be read by every pit owner, preferably Before bring one home.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:23 AM   #2
freflellalafe

Awww...I am so so so so sorry that you had to give your baby up. I hope Bo is in a good home with someone that can handle this breed. I hope you don't get discourage about the breed because of the incident you had, and keep in mind what wonderful dogs APBT are. Hopefully after you do some research and learn a bit more, maybe you can adopt or rescue another one down the road. Good luck to you and Bo...and scr*w those people that say "It's just a dog"...that is very cruel to say, and thay are def not animal people. As we all know, most of us get attached to our animals after just having them for a few days. Again, I am sorry for what you are going through and hang in there...you did the right thing. Just make sure you still somewhat monitor him. You never know these days...

Old 05-20-2009, 04:47 AM   #3
Trikaduliana

I'm so sorry.

Sometimes doing the right thing by the dog feels like the worst thing for us. It takes a strong, selfless, and very loving man/woman to make such a decision. ((hugs))

Old 05-20-2009, 06:37 AM   #4
wmcelesta

Both me and Blu say "We are so sorry for you, but you did the right thing"

Old 05-20-2009, 06:41 AM   #5
swwatch

Wow, you are absolutely right, and you did the right thing even though it was so heart wrenching. {{hugs}} to you!

Old 05-20-2009, 11:30 AM   #6
loginereQQ

Well instead fo making three dogs lives miserable...you made three dogs lives better. They and you will all be better off ... can't do better than that!

Old 05-20-2009, 03:16 PM   #7
AlexClips

Mature decisions are not always the easy ones, and often hurt.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:18 PM   #8
NicolasOL

Im sorry.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:20 PM   #9
8Uxtkz7F

You made the right decision. I'm sure your friend will let you visit

Old 05-20-2009, 04:16 PM   #10
Amorsesombabs

I'm so sorry.

Sometimes doing the right thing by the dog feels like the worst thing for us. It takes a strong, selfless, and very loving man/woman to make such a decision. ((hugs))
I could not have said it better.

I'm sure your friend will let you come visit Bo. Hugs and keep your chin up. You did the right thing.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:19 PM   #11
NickGrass

I'm so sorry that you had to give up your baby. Sometimes the right decision isn't always the easiest.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:47 PM   #12
Chiquita

I think you did the right thing and you should be proud of yourself. This does not mean that you can never have this breed it just means right now is not the best time. Stay on the site keep learning and asking questions so that you are absolutley prepared for the next time around.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:02 AM   #13
BodoidearoLew

Thank ya'll all for the support. I really needed to be reassured on my desicion. Also thanks so much for all the great information, if it had not been for this site I probably would have just separated my dogs and Bo may have eventually got out and no telling what. I do plan to have another one day when the time is right so ya'll will probably see me every now and again asking really dumb questions lol. The thing is most of the people I know who own this breed when ask if it was okay to get him fixed and keep him told it was so I think I will keep getting my info. from here instead! Thanks so much again to everyone.

Reply to Thread New Thread