LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 02-05-2009, 05:02 PM   #1
hauptdaunnila

I see it everyday at the shelter. Dogs that should be laying on someone's couch are laying there dead or dying after being given that shot. 6 out of 10 dogs at the shelter are pit bulls.Most of them are there because the owner either couldn't keep the dog contained and we had to pick it up more than once or because they had a litter of pups they couldn't sell.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:06 AM   #2
stunnyravytal

People just need to be more responsible. Our Country has given a lot of people easy ways out of things. Shelters being one of those "easy" outs. Don't get me wrong, I believe shelters try to do good. However, if you are willing to just take a dog from someone because they just don't want it anymore, it isn't making them take responsibility. Now I know that this isn't a perfect world, and whether there were shelters/rescues or not, some people would find other ways to ditch their responsibilities, i.e. just dump them along the road, but maybe others would sit back and say "Wow, I have to now a)take care of these dogs or b)put these dogs down myself", and then they might just learn from it, instead of getting an easy way out.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:17 AM   #3
bonyclayd

copy this post, in your state, make copies and put them up like flyers everywhere in every city.
I think that would be a good idea if it were shorter, and to the point. Not too many people are going to stop and read a short story on a walk. I wouldn't, plus a lot of people who breed dogs in general are only worried about money, and will pay no mind considering the fact if they stop....then money stops.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:27 PM   #4
chuecfafresslds

This is why I had both of mine fixed. The people in my neighborhood wanted to condem me, wishing that I would breed my dogs for their enjoyment. I am more than aware of the problems in trying to adopt these dogs, and I know that there are plenty of them in shelters across the country who need homes, more than a liter from my pups could.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:42 PM   #5
Biashpainabix

Default Why You Shouldn't Breed Your Pitbull
Why Not To Breed Pitbulls

"Did you know that "Pit Bulls" are currently the number one bred dog in the United States? Ironically, they are also one of the hardest breeds to find homes. It is estimated that there is a current average of 3 million "Pit Bulls" living in the United States and only 1 in 600 will successfully find a "forever" home. Sadly, for every 1 "Pit Bull" placed in a loving home there are 599 killed. Shockingly, that statistic unfortunately does not exclude puppies!
Roughly 200 "Pit Bulls" are killed each day in Los Angeles alone because there are not enough homes for the ever-growing population of unwanted dogs in that area. This is a frustrating problem due to over-breeding either intentionally or accidentally. Either way you look at it, it comes down to irresponsible actions by irresponsible and or greedy humans. Many people may not realize that any dog not spayed or neutered is a potential contributor to this terrible problem. The average fertile dog can produce 2 litters in one year. The average number of puppies in a canine litter is 6-10. In six years, one female dog and her offspring can theoretically produce 67,000 dogs..many or most of which will end up dead.
There are between 4,000 and 6,000 animal shelters in the United States. The number of cats and dogs entering those shelters each year is roughly 6-8 million! However, only 30% of the dogs and 2%-5% of the cats are actually reclaimed by their owners. This means the total number of cats and dogs euthanized by shelters annually is 3-4 million! It is estimated that 1 million of those dogs are "Pit Bulls".
Shelters in large cities across the U.S. typically find themselves with a "Pit Bull" population of anywhere from 40% to 60% of the total shelter population and a national average of 33%. Many shelters needing more space will opt to euthanize "Pit Bulls" before any other type of dog due to this overwhelming number. 75% of shelters nationwide will euthanize all "Pit Bulls" entering the facility without ever giving them a chance to be adopted…some more lenient organizations may give the dogs a mere 24 hour grace period before administering the lethal injection. A study done by Animal People reports that the "Pit Bull" euthanasia rate in shelters is at approximately 93% on average which means that ultimately only 7% of all homeless "Pit Bulls" in America will find a "forever" home.
Surely you can see how over-breeding has negatively affected the lives of so many dogs. It is a fact that "Pit Bull" breeders are directly responsible for a significant percentage of the estimated 1 million "Pit Bulls" killed by euthanasia each year nationwide. Now I ask, why breed or buy while so many homeless dogs die?
The "Pit Bull" breeding trend will continue to impact this growing issue of overpopulation in America as long as Americans continue to buy "Pit Bulls". Start making a difference by adopting a "Pit Bull" at your local shelter or visit any one of the websites listed below to view thousands of wonderful, perfectly healthy dogs nationwide waiting to be adopted by a loving family. You can save a life and change these statistics one dog at a time! Try Pitbulls for life or your local spca or dog pound!"

Old 04-29-2009, 10:08 PM   #6
Amorsesombabs

A MILLION a YEAR! WOW *shakes head* Every single time I read something like this I feel a knot in my stomach. It is so hard 2 read this kind of information. Ignorance is bliss though so it is stuff like this that I think is important 2 read as well as educate. I look into Buffy and Spanky's eyes and think sometimes, what would have happened 2 them if I didn't come along when they were pups. I could never give up my dogs.

Here in Philadelphia, most of our shelters are most APBT. There are a few that won't even adpot out any "pit bull" type breeds and they get PTS right away. If someone comes in with 10 puppies w/ papers, they get PTS right away It makes me so sad that people just keep breeding these dogs b/c they are the "cool" "in" thing. People just don't think b4 they get a dog. It is a 15year or more responsibility.

I think of all the fun, funny, full of love APBT's sitting on "death row". All they want 2 do is love someone and sadly, they will never get 2 know or feel that love

Old 04-29-2009, 10:19 PM   #7
Escamsrasiush

What a sad reality for this great breed.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:30 PM   #8
Immerymopay

At the OP, you should always site your source if its not your work.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:30 PM   #9
Biashpainabix

If you could is copy this post, in your state, make copies and put them up like flyers everywhere in every city. It could put to rest at least half of the overall irresponsible breeding. It will stop idiotic people from buying back yard bred dogs. That's my mission to start doing.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:31 PM   #10
Biashpainabix

why not to breed pitbulls

"did you know that "pit bulls" are currently the number one bred dog in the united states? Ironically, they are also one of the hardest breeds to find homes. It is estimated that there is a current average of 3 million "pit bulls" living in the united states and only 1 in 600 will successfully find a "forever" home. Sadly, for every 1 "pit bull" placed in a loving home there are 599 killed. Shockingly, that statistic unfortunately does not exclude puppies!
Roughly 200 "pit bulls" are killed each day in los angeles alone because there are not enough homes for the ever-growing population of unwanted dogs in that area. This is a frustrating problem due to over-breeding either intentionally or accidentally. Either way you look at it, it comes down to irresponsible actions by irresponsible and or greedy humans. Many people may not realize that any dog not spayed or neutered is a potential contributor to this terrible problem. The average fertile dog can produce 2 litters in one year. The average number of puppies in a canine litter is 6-10. In six years, one female dog and her offspring can theoretically produce 67,000 dogs..many or most of which will end up dead.
There are between 4,000 and 6,000 animal shelters in the united states. The number of cats and dogs entering those shelters each year is roughly 6-8 million! However, only 30% of the dogs and 2%-5% of the cats are actually reclaimed by their owners. This means the total number of cats and dogs euthanized by shelters annually is 3-4 million! It is estimated that 1 million of those dogs are "pit bulls".
Shelters in large cities across the u.s. Typically find themselves with a "pit bull" population of anywhere from 40% to 60% of the total shelter population and a national average of 33%. Many shelters needing more space will opt to euthanize "pit bulls" before any other type of dog due to this overwhelming number. 75% of shelters nationwide will euthanize all "pit bulls" entering the facility without ever giving them a chance to be adopted…some more lenient organizations may give the dogs a mere 24 hour grace period before administering the lethal injection. A study done by animal people reports that the "pit bull" euthanasia rate in shelters is at approximately 93% on average which means that ultimately only 7% of all homeless "pit bulls" in america will find a "forever" home.
Surely you can see how over-breeding has negatively affected the lives of so many dogs. It is a fact that "pit bull" breeders are directly responsible for a significant percentage of the estimated 1 million "pit bulls" killed by euthanasia each year nationwide. Now i ask, why breed or buy while so many homeless dogs die?
The "pit bull" breeding trend will continue to impact this growing issue of overpopulation in america as long as americans continue to buy "pit bulls". Start making a difference by adopting a "pit bull" at your local shelter or visit any one of the websites listed below to view thousands of wonderful, perfectly healthy dogs nationwide waiting to be adopted by a loving family. You can save a life and change these statistics one dog at a time! Try pitbulls for life or your local spca or dog pound!"

this is not my work, this was from an unknown source first found on pbf from an unknown source, than here. Sorry if i confused anyone.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:41 PM   #11
healty-back

this is sad, personally i think noone should breed their pit bulls and staffies for at least 2-3 years. this includes all bybs, titled, champion and any other type of pit bull dog. it wont sovle our overpopulation problem but it sure as hell will slow it down some and help out some of the dogs in the shelters. imo

Old 04-29-2009, 10:44 PM   #12
Immerymopay

If breeders were held to a much higher standard this would have never happened. Its ridiculous that anyone can be a breeder if they want.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:49 PM   #13
raspirator

Reply to Thread New Thread