LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 04-13-2009, 06:43 PM   #1
wmtravelservice

Default Ants
I searched through threads, and maybe Im just not lookin in the right place, but my puppy laid in fire ants yesterday while I was workin on my jeep. They are swollen today but she doesnt seemed bothered by them. She licks and chews on everything in the yard, so I dont know what I'm able to put down to get rid of the ants that wont hurt her. And also what can I put on her bites?

Old 04-13-2009, 06:54 PM   #2
Roferurse

When I have got puppies around I usually use a mixture of mint,penny royal, chillies, dishwashing liquid ( Sunlight soap) and water
Put it all in a blender for a few minutes then using a cloth as a filter pour it into s spray bottle and give the area a good soaking.
It doesn't kill them but it does deter them.
You can also try planting some mint or penny royal that also deters ants ( I don't know about fire ants.
I have also heard of vinegar deterring them but I haven't tried it.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:24 PM   #3
gypearteday

lol, i dont know but malika got her first taste of ants yesterday. It was kinda funny, i got them all off but i couldnt help laughing at the way she was kicking them off her!

Old 04-13-2009, 07:31 PM   #4
wmtravelservice

haha, yeah, I remember sadies first experience was at the baseball field when she stuck her nose in an ant bed, took her bout 10 more tries over the next couple of weeks before she decided that wasnt such a great idea afterall. I havnt ever had them in my yard before though. Im thinking about spraying the front, then only taking her in the back, waiting a week then do the back and only take her out front.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:32 PM   #5
Sukadrukanga

You can give them Benadryl for the itching, 1mg per pound of pup, so a 25 pound pup, one Benadryl pill.

You can get some power at Lowe's or Home Depot to put on the fire ant hills, then you just need to keep your pet away from it for a day or so. It stinks to high heaven, but it gets rid of them. We have tons of fire ants at our house, so I need to be stocking up on some more of that power stuff. I don't know what it's called, but it's specifically for fire ants.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:36 PM   #6
wmtravelservice

Well, she isnt itching, its like she never noticed she had them. But they all came to a white head today, gross. Lemme know if you find out the name for that stuff.

Reply to Thread New Thread