LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 03-17-2009, 05:08 AM   #1
Preegovesem

Default Thick Skin
I'm a new soon to be owner of an APBT and was wondering how to handle some of the hurtful comments I may receive as my pup matures. What are some negative comments you may have gotten and how did/do you handle the situation?

Old 03-17-2009, 05:27 AM   #2
expomeHattePe

Just don't let it bother you. I get all the time, that my dog is going to rip my throat out, and kill my kids, by ppl who don't know my dog. My breeder says my boy is just like his dad. And it's true. They're both big goofballs who love their families.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:23 PM   #3
masaredera

It's easy....it's called being an adult. Ignore the stupid shit and be done with it.
I agree. I get it a lot. I just smile and disagree.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:49 PM   #4
Dr.Hoodoba

Develop a very thick skin!! Like stated above, you have to take the good advice, and ignore the crazy stupid stuff. If you see an opportunity to educate someone, use it, otherwise, I just smile and change the subject. Some people you will never change their mind, but I try every chance I get. Usually, I wait till someone is petting her and she's loving on them before I tell them her breed.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:18 PM   #5
riverakathy

Become as educated as you can on the issues and talk to people that are willing to learn, and ignore the rest.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:27 PM   #6
lzwha

Just remember that most people are basing thier "predjudice" on media sensationalism. If they are half joking, smile and try to diffuse the situation. I usaally try to tell a "funny" and 99% of the time it works.

If they have a little dog and tell you your dog looks like it is going to eat thier dog you can say (say they have a chihuahua)..."Did you hear about the Chihuahua that killed a Pit Bull here last weekend?" They will always look astounded and say "No!". You reply, "Yeah it got stuck in his throat...". It usually hits them and they laugh a bit.

If they have kids I usually go with..."He only eats two kids a day and he had them this morning...".

Either way, try to break the "ice" and show them how in control your dog and YOU are...

On the other hand if they are complete "tools" I will usually say, "I will take that into consideration but I will consider the source first...". They usually are stumped and left scraching thier brains or nuts...whichever is lower...in IQ or Sperm Count...

Reply to Thread New Thread