LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 07-03-2009, 03:29 PM   #1
Navzrrqt

Default Looking for a home to rent...
My husband and I have to beautiful, sweet, friendly pits bulls, Belle and Stoli...
We have been looking for a house to rent.
Every house so far that "allows dogs" has turned us down becuase out dogs are pit bulls.
In fact, one person said you could only rent with renter's insurance, and told me you can't get that with a pit bull!!!
It's ridiculous, we can't give up our dogs, but we have had just no luck so far...
Any advice?

Old 07-03-2009, 06:12 PM   #2
illiderob

Sometimes it is just people's ignorance to the breed, but other times, it's that the landlord has to pay a lot more in insurance, so, that is why they don't accept "pit bulls".

Good luck on your search.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:17 PM   #3
dosyrotsbop

If you have a local shelter, spca, etc. check their website to see if they have pet friendly listings and maybe start with them as they may be a bit more accomodating to the breed. I know how hard it can be, the list of non-allowed breeds at much of our local rentals is ridiculous. Maybe try to get references by a trainer or vet to help you out. Good luck!

Old 07-04-2009, 02:42 AM   #4
Michaelnewerb

Look into a personal liability policy. That might help you if you're willing to do that.
It is going to be tough for you to find a rental with the pitties but it can be done. You really have to dig and look hard and leave no stone unturned. Ask everyone you know. Both rentals we found that we've lived in the last 6 years we found by asking around. Now, you may have to be prepared to live in some places that may not be very nice but that's the choice you'll have to make. We found the place we are living in through a friend of a friend. Its a place that will eventually be torn down to make way for a subdivision so we'll have to move in about two years. Its an old double wide and we had to agree to repair anything that broke because the landlord would not fix it. Its not the greatest place in the world but at least we can have our dogs.
Good luck!

Old 08-03-2009, 10:59 AM   #5
Esmeralfaf

Try calling State Farm about the insurance.They dont have any breed specific policies.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:44 PM   #6
MeeveStesia

My advice would be to keep looking. It took me a while to find someplace that accepted my guys as well but eventually it worked out.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:29 PM   #7
Enliseell

Farm Bureau doesn't have breed specific limitations, they simply asked me has your dog ever bit anyone? I replied no, and they said great, and wrote my policy. I recall being denied with state farm though here in NC.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:37 PM   #8
ballerturfali

My advice would be to keep looking. It took me a while to find someplace that accepted my guys as well but eventually it worked out.
That my be true in your area, but not in ohio. We tried to obtain Home owners insurance from State Farm, because it didn't mention pitbulls(or you can't have them) but when we called they said no deal. We went with farmers insurance, but I don't know if they do renters insurance, it's worth a shot though.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:49 PM   #9
MeeveStesia

That my be true in your area, but not in ohio. We tried to obtain Home owners insurance from State Farm, because it didn't mention pitbulls(or you can't have them) but when we called they said no deal. We went with farmers insurance, but I don't know if they do renters insurance, it's worth a shot though.
Im sorry, I didnt mean keep looking for insurance. I meant keep looking for a place to rent. BOTH of my dogs were in rescue for months because i was unable to find anywhere to take them. BUT, eventually, I did. Without having to get any type of insurance.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:13 PM   #10
Candykiss

We looked aroung and called and searched everyday but we finally found a place to rent that would take our dogs. We also call them AmStaffs at first and usually (where we were looking) the landlords wanted to meet the dogs which was fine with us. They fell in love with the dogs and allowed us to move in. We only looked at duplexes and houses because no apartments would take a dog over 50lbs let alone 2 dogs.
Good luck on your hunt you will find something.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:20 PM   #11
MeeveStesia

We looked aroung and called and searched everyday but we finally found a place to rent that would take our dogs. We also call them AmStaffs at first and usually (where we were looking) the landlords wanted to meet the dogs which was fine with us. They fell in love with the dogs and allowed us to move in. We only looked at duplexes and houses because no apartments would take a dog over 50lbs let alone 2 dogs.
Good luck on your hunt you will find something.
Good points.

Lance is a boxer mix, as per his vet and I call Jesse a terrier. I hear they call them San Francisco Bay Terriers in Cali.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:30 PM   #12
ddwayspd

Unless your dogs are registered APBT's, they are just mixed breeds... however, some places, if it looks like anything but a poodle, it's a pit bull. State Farm is usually good about not being breed restrictive, and Farm Bureau usually is, depending on the state and each Farm Bureau office in each state is different. Sometimes they will write you a policy, but exclude any liability if the dog gets out and were to bite anyone. I'd just keep checking for a place to rent, and if possible, take your dog with you to meet the potential landlord. If they see your dog is human friendly, sometimes that will change their mind. Most people have the dogs that have irresponsible owners and end up on the 5:00 news, stuck in their heads of what the breed is.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:15 AM   #13
GoveMoony

wow! none of that in jersey (to my knowledge )they never asked us "what kind of dog"just if we had one.(homeowners ins)I can name 10 people in my neighborhood that have at least one.Renting is real a pain though. Here you just have to ask people in your area who have pit bulls. If you can find someone who has ever had one they might be lenient to you and rent their property to you.good luck

Old 10-03-2009, 11:20 AM   #14
Esmeralfaf

Farm Bureau doesn't have breed specific limitations, they simply asked me has your dog ever bit anyone? I replied no, and they said great, and wrote my policy. I recall being denied with state farm though here in NC.
Thats kind of funny,we got denied by farm bureau here in KS. Except i guess they didnt really deny us,they never even asked about the dogs ,but came out once to look at the house and we got a letter a few days later saying they were dropping us because of "The Pit Bull dogs on the premesis". Probably has more to do with each agent than with actuall company policy.

Old 10-03-2009, 01:00 PM   #15
indentKew

Craigslist.

Going through a rental company is going to be a P.I.T.A. and is going to take a LONG time. Check out Craigslist and see if anyone who owns their home is renting it out.

The easiest thing for me has been roomshares, though I understand that won't work for everyone.

Do your dogs have CGCs? That could help a lot, especially with finding an insurance if you're having trouble there. I'm not a fan of lying about my dog's breed (but that just goes with me being a brutally honest bitch, even when it's better not to be lol)... but some people have success with that as well.

Good luck! It CAN be done.. it's just not easy!

Reply to Thread New Thread