LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 04-04-2009, 05:54 AM   #1
KuRoregioNka

Default Questions about breeders......New puppies also....HELP!
Hi, my name was mis spelled in registration so guess I am stuck with it! Anyways, I am April, I am an APBT owner of one 6 month old little girl! We are going to get another Pittie in the summer, but a few questions.

I would much rather and will, if I find an applicable pup, get one from the shelter in Maryland. Pits are frowned upon in that area and they euthanize them any chance they get, however, because dog fighting is so big nowadays when they do the dog tests most fail to be around other dogs. This is a very good shelter and they do background checks on all possible adoptive parents and they know I have other dogs, which is better that way I don't have any accidents down the road with a bitten dog.

With that said, IF I get one from a kennel online (none local are good that I've seen) I need to know WHAT to look for. Most that I've found are having multiple sets of parents have litter DAYS apart, which must be alot to take care of. I don't want a Pit because they say "Oh we have big Pits). Someone told me to ask questions about the background, so I do, and because I don't know what to ask, they say, oh well they are Razors Edge and Gotti, great bloodlines, but I know I am not to accept that. I do not want to buy a Pit from someone who is just breeding them to make money and put no thought into a breeding.

I have no problems paying for shipping, so if you KNOW a great breeder, please express your thoughts on that. I would much rather get a perfectly healthy, long living pup than a "big" pup that has health problems due to multiple reasons.

Thanks for your time and opinions

April

Old 04-04-2009, 06:44 AM   #2
jurnalkduo

I would stick with the shelter - you'll get a dog to safety. If you do add another dog, you must be prepared to deal with the possibility of dog to dog aggression, regardless of whether a dog you adopt from the shelter has passed their testing.

IMHO, I just do not feel comfortable buying a dog on the internet from a breeder, I'd go the breeder route only if I could visit with the breeder at their kennel, to meet them and the dam and sire, etc.

RE and Gotti, btw, are not APBTs at this point.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:34 AM   #3
Ubgvuncd

A good start if you want a registered dog, is to look for a breeder that is doing health testing, and I don't mean just shots and worming. Look for someone who is doing PennHip or OFA on their hips, patella's, elbows, cardiac, thyroid, all that good stuff! Someone whose getting some working/show/sport titles on their dogs as well.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:36 AM   #4
KuRoregioNka

Sounds good will definitely look for that, keep the comments coming! And how come Gotta is going away from APBTs? Because some are so big? I noticed most look like Pits, but some are just SO big, and they swear they havent used steroids, maybe mixed with Mastiff or something?

Old 05-03-2009, 08:23 AM   #5
ptmQqoxw

It's a matter of where you look and what style of dog you like. If you like a more "game" looking dog, look into the ADBA and AADR-style dogs. If you like a flashier/show-looking dog, look at UKC. If you want bully, check into the ABKC.

Me, I prefer the more "game" looking dogs and intend to stick to it that way. Loads of awesome dogs in shelters too!

Old 05-03-2009, 08:33 AM   #6
Fertassa

Try reading the "are you a backyard breeder?" sticky at the beginning of this forum, it will give you an idea of what a BYB is and what to avoid!

That being said, I agree with MM, stick with the shelters!

Old 05-03-2009, 08:55 AM   #7
Fertassa

Woops! It was in the Health section, here's the link:

http://www.pitbull-chat.com/showthread.php?t=8709

Old 05-03-2009, 04:33 PM   #8
MeeveStesia

I know of a MD rescue that pulls pups regularly from area shelters. If you would like, I could have them pull one for you to your specifications. Just PM me and I'll see what I can do to help.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:27 PM   #9
Caluabdum

The only downfall in adopting a pet from a shelter is that you do not know the background. This means that you will not know of any genetic health issues that may occur with the dog.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:46 PM   #10
KuRoregioNka

I agree Diva, that and I feel more comfortable raising one from a pup that way I KNOW how it was raised, having the 6 month old Pit and the 1 year old Pug (who love each other to death!) Isnt bad, but I wouldnt feel 100% comfortable bringing a 2 year old Pit who was said to be good with kids, because the fact that I have a 17 month old that is very curious with the dogs and I would hate for her to get bit. My 6 month old Pit is used to getting her tail pulled and stuff by now and I swear she loves my daughter more than me lol....Thanks for the replies guys! AWESOME info on this ofrum

Old 05-04-2009, 02:03 AM   #11
Adamanta

I stongly suggest not "Ordering" a puppy offline. Its SOOOO much better to see the dogs, kennels and breeder all in person. A "Breeder" can B.S you the whole time through the internet but when your right there in person it is a lot harder for them to lie or try to cover up things you can see with your own eyes.

Look for things like the parents should have some form of show record, or weight pull record etc Something that shows the breeder is active in doing things with the dogs.

Ask why the dogs were bred.

Stay away from Gotti, Razors edge etc Unless you infact want an American Bully breed and not a true APBT...Most of those "Name Brand" bloodlines have altered and twisted the "Pit Bull" breed so much that they are almost like English Bulldog/Mastiff mixes vrs a True sporting type dog.

Never hand over money unless you have registration papers IN HAND, Vet Records IN HAND. Many shady breeders will say "I'll mail the info" which 99% of the time it is because they don't have that paperwork and they are trying to con you out of money.

I wouldn't spend more then $500 for a WELL BRED pup.

If they have massive amounts of dogs, or have litters several times a year STAY AWAY. A Good breeder ONLY breeds when they have a match of two GREAT dogs worth breeding.

Generally speaking a good breeder will have a few dogs on their property, if it is just a private house with a pair of dogs...chances are they are just BYB and got their dogs from BYBs.

Always check the puppies personality and health when picking one out. Check the Ears, eyes, mouth (Check for discharge or bad odor). If the puppies are super bloated or "Fat" looking ask if they have been dewormed and how many times etc. Make sure the puppy is active and not sluggish.

ALWAYS check the living quarters of the parent dogs as well as the puppies. A good breeder will allow you to see everything and let you meet the parents...if they don't chances are they are hiding something.

More often then not, most of the good breeders are easily found at local shows.

If the puppies are in the newspaper I'd be careful.

And ask the breeder lots of questions no matter how dumb those questions might sound...a good breeder will take the time to answer anything you ask.

And on a final note. Good breeders, generally don't have a "Warrenty" on there pups ALSO they generally have contacts and tell you up front they will take the dog back no matter what even if its 8yrs down the road...

I think I covered the basics...LOL

Old 05-04-2009, 02:09 AM   #12
Adamanta

Contracts*

Old 05-04-2009, 02:14 AM   #13
Muramoursuard

Hi and welcome to the forum

Is it a Male or female that you were thinking of getting next???

Dray x

Old 05-04-2009, 03:47 AM   #14
KuRoregioNka

Guys I just wanted to say again, thank you SO MUCH for all of the info, and about gotti razrs edge, those are most that I see online. I didnt know people were mixing and all of the sort, I do not know if I want ADBA or UKC now, honestly, and don't ask why because I couldnt tell ya, I want a "big" Pit....I will link some pictures of how I want the pup to look, I was thinking male this time. I always stayed away from males because my mother put some sort of mentality when I was little that males pee in the house, are hard to train, I mean male anything, dog, cat, etc. But now that I am older it doesnt matter to me. Here are some of the dogs I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE!!

Touche is amazing....

I like the body on this one....

This is pretty close to the build I want...

Another beautiful pup...

And the blue pit, this is ultimately what I would like to get, I like the size for the age, and I really like that stance some of them have....

Point me in any direction you would like ladies and gents, I am still learning

Old 05-04-2009, 05:12 AM   #15
Adamanta

So what are you even looking for a PIT BULL or a mutt??? You Have examples of APBT and Am. Bully.

The "Build" you often have to work with the dog to get it.

The only thing with male bullies is they tend to be more stubborn. Neutering helps a great deal. Every male on my dads yard made AWESOME companions but trying to get those dogs to listen for anything was a waste of time, Unlike the females who I've had little to no problem working with and training...they can be stubborn too just seems like males are more so. Also is your female fixed? if not get it done.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:51 AM   #16
KuRoregioNka

Yup she just turned 6 months and was just spayed last Wednesday, been having a problem with a seroma ever since, it just got drained a few days ago. Hope it clears up because it sure it yucky....What do you see as the best example and worst example of the APBT in the pics I posted?

Old 05-04-2009, 06:01 AM   #17
PemiaGefe

Just to let you know, just because you raised a pit, doesn't mean anything in terms of it not biting. There are plenty of them in shelters that have great temps and you never know with any dog what their health problems will or won't be, pits are all prone to heart problems, so that's just something to think about. My friend owns Bark Ark Bully Rescue in Cincinnati, and has connections with rescues all across the U.S. if you would like help with finding one from a shelter. There are so many that need homes. Please consider adopting
I agree Diva, that and I feel more comfortable raising one from a pup that way I KNOW how it was raised, having the 6 month old Pit and the 1 year old Pug (who love each other to death!) Isnt bad, but I wouldnt feel 100% comfortable bringing a 2 year old Pit who was said to be good with kids, because the fact that I have a 17 month old that is very curious with the dogs and I would hate for her to get bit. My 6 month old Pit is used to getting her tail pulled and stuff by now and I swear she loves my daughter more than me lol....Thanks for the replies guys! AWESOME info on this ofrum

Old 06-03-2009, 05:47 PM   #18
Caluabdum

The dogs you posted not only have different looks, but they will have different attitudes as well. I think what you should determine is what would be the best fit for your family. Do you want a dog that is more likely to be very dog aggressive or calm, active or lazy, small or big?

Here is a thread on the top winning ADBA, UKC, and AKC dogs. This should give you an idea of the different looks.

http://www.pitbull-chat.com/showthread.php?t=23545

Old 06-03-2009, 07:58 PM   #19
KuRoregioNka

I like the UKC body, with the ADBA head.....I want a dog that will never be dog aggressive, hyper is ok (I am used to that) so definitely very active. But I want them him/her to be big.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:01 PM   #20
MeeveStesia

I want a dog that will never be dog aggressive
You may want to get a different kind of dog then. Pit bulls are known for their DA tendencies and though they can be managed, they will never really go away entirely.

DA is a big part of this breed.

Reply to Thread New Thread