LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 02-14-2009, 10:13 PM   #1
zbckFNlW

Default help introducing a new dog
As stated in another thread that I started, we have my son's dog here visiting and there's a possibility that I may be asked to keep her. I've been slowly introducing Mazzi and Biff and it's going quite well. Here's what I've accomplished so far. I started by crating Mazzi and Biff and I put a gate on the bathroom door so that Sadie (the visiting dog) couldn't get into the bathroom, where the crated dogs are. I allowed them to see each other through the door, unless either Mazzi or Biff started barking. If they did, the door was closed. After a few minutes, I opened the door and we started the process again, until they were quiet and I could keep the door open. After about an hour of Mazzi and Biff remaining quiet, I took them (just Mazzi and Biff) outside and let them run for 15-20 minutes. When they came back in, they found Sadie was in a crate and the gate on the doorway. I put a leash and prong collar on Biff and allowed Mazzi to be loose, (trusting she'd behave) while I gave them commands such as sit, lay down, wait, kiss, and look. (make eye contact with me) I used a reinforcer, (kibble) which normally, I don't do. They did very well! After about 20 minutes, I let Biff through the gate, still leashed and he lay on the floor about a foot from the Crate and quietly watched Sadie. BTW, the whole time, Sadie was calm too. I sat there for a bit and then made a phone call, via speaker phone, so he'd have a tiny bit of distraction. He did great! I never had to correct him. : ) Mazzi remained on the other side of the gate, quiet as well. I continued reinforcing the good behavior with food and pats on the head, but no words or eye contact. After about 45 minutes total, all 3 dogs were put on leash and brought together in the LR, but kept separated. Biff became a bit wound up, so I sarted again with the commands and reinforcements. Once he settled, I ignored him and started a low key conversation with my son and BF. After about 15 minutes, I cued the BF to crate Mazzi and a few minutes later, I crated Biff. They began barking in the crates, so I closed the door to the BR and started the process of going back and opening the door, then closing if they got wound up. They are doing great now.

I figure I'll need to continue crate and rotate for the rest of the day and make sure that Mazzi and Biff are getting lots of run time outside. Is there anything else that I am forgetting? Any better ideas? What's the typical amount of time that it takes? I understand that all
situations/dogs will respond differently, so just looking for an estimate. We had Mazzi for less than two weeks when we took in a rescue and a week or so later, followed Biff. The 3 of them all got along pretty well. Since then, which has been about 3 months now, neither have been around other dogs. I don't want to rush it, as I don't 100% feel that Biff is ready. Well, I guess I'll never be 100% sure...it would be stupid to trust a pit bull never to cause harm to another dog. I think you know what I mean though. Thanks so much. : )

Old 02-15-2009, 02:08 AM   #2
ggiifdfalls

How is it owning two pitbulls? I currently have a 7mo old pit / lab mix, and would like to bring another into the family.

I'd like to make a well informed decision, and show something credible to my wife to ensure she is ok with it.

I have an opportunity to adopt a 4 month old male. Can you please provide some advice?

thanks

Old 02-15-2009, 02:22 AM   #3
oscilsoda

I think you are doing a great job, keep up the good work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The trainer that I talked to about this situation said that we should give the new dog (Sadie) a couple of days in the crate while the other dogs stick to their daily routin. This way they get use to staying in the same space. Only if none of the house dogs are aggressive.
Then one at a time have them meet on leash. If that goes well during the same sessiontake off leashes and watch only 5 mins and then seperate. This way they leave on good terms. Do the same for all dogs and then start over will all the house dogs.
The trainer said depending on your dogs temperment this should happen with in a week. Stay Consistant make it part of the daily routeen for a whole week.

I really do think your doing great. You know your dogs and thier body language. You also know how to controll the house dogs. Don't worry Keep up the good work!

Old 02-15-2009, 02:26 AM   #4
jhkjurter

How is it owning two pitbulls? I currently have a 7mo old pit / lab mix, and would like to bring another into the family.

I'd like to make a well informed decision, and show something credible to my wife to ensure she is ok with it.

I have an opportunity to adopt a 4 month old male. Can you please provide some advice?

thanks
I'd recommend that you might want to start your own thread to discuss the topic - your circumstances are different than the OP's.

See also the stickies (multi dog related) that should be of help.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:26 AM   #5
RlUbQU3R

sounds like you are doing the right thing.. Good job.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:37 AM   #6
acneman

Sounds like you are doing ok... it's going to take time, and it's basically a full time job, but you are doing ok, just stick with it.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:14 PM   #7
zbckFNlW

Thanks! Last night, my son had Mazzi and Biff outside and Sadie was inside with me. Not thinking, he opened the door and the two ran inside. My BF freaked out because he thought that Biff was going to hurt Sadie. He totally does not get it! I try and try to explain to him that his way of communicating with them is confusing them. Now my son thinks that Biff was trying to "attack" Sadie. Last night, Biff opened the stairway gate, went upstairs and pushed my BR door open. I hadn't pulled it tight enough to latch it. So I look over and he's nose to nose with her, checking her out and then he walked away. I guess if was going to "attack" her, that would have been a great opportunity. LOL. I'm just about ready to give them time together. : )

Reply to Thread New Thread