LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 11-02-2009, 07:14 PM   #1
Mqcawkzd

Default Son wants to get a second dog
We have a male pit bull that will be 2 years old the end of May, and my son wants to get a puppy. When we brought Duke home we had 3 outdoor dogs, Duke wanted to play with them but they were all older and did not want anything to do with him. We have had him at the lake with other dogs and he always just wants to play, even when my sisters dog let him know it was time to stop he never showed any agression. My main question is should we get a female puppy or will it be okay to get another male, we are looking at getting a yellow or black lab. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:17 PM   #2
dogdesign

I generally would advise going with a female. I have an all male household and they get along fine but have found it easier to introduce a female. Good luck!

Old 11-02-2009, 07:24 PM   #3
acneman

This breed doesn't really care for dog friends as they age. If you are going to get another one, and it isn't a bully, I'd suggest a female as these dogs do better with the opposite sex. However that being said, be sure to get the female spayed asap, and if your male isn't neutered, get him neutered as well. Be sure you never leave them alone together, and if you don't have one, invest in a breakstick. Never use it on any breed other than pit bulls, as it can injure another breed.

Here's a good thread on break sticks, and how to use them properly. We have a member that sells them, Boogieman, you can PM him for information about them.

http://www.pbrc.net/breaksticks.html

Old 11-02-2009, 07:32 PM   #4
Gastonleruanich

How old is your son? If I was you I would get a female. I ask how old your son is because if he is young he might just be going through an I want a puppy stage but if he is older then he should be helping alot in keeping the dogs safe when around one another.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:36 PM   #5
freflellalafe

I would go with what mollies nana said. and Little miss E I know what you are talking about. my son is 10 and wants a puppy every time he sees one but he gets mad when I tell him to spend time with the dogs we have. and he gets mad a jazzie for playing rough.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:45 PM   #6
Mqcawkzd

My son is 15 and has wanted a dog for a while now, but when we got Duke we had 3 other dogs. We lost all 3 dogs to old age or cancer at the beginning of last fall. It is wierd only having one dog so I am okay with getting another one, I am just worried about how Duke will react to a new puppy.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:49 PM   #7
attanilifardy

I would like to know "the reason" you want to get another dog?

Do you miss having a puppy?

Are you looking for a "playmate" for your 2 year old bulldog?

Are you replacing a dog that has passed on?

None of the reasons above are a valid reason for getting a pup. (not being rude, just truthful)

Bringing a bulldog puppy into a multidog household is easier than bringing a "puppy of any breed" into a household with an adolescent bulldog. Be ready for all that comes with the change.

***Sorry, posting at the same time you posted above***

Old 11-02-2009, 07:52 PM   #8
attanilifardy

What will happen with the new pup when your son turns 18 or so and leaves the house...for school, job, become an independent adult?

Old 11-02-2009, 07:53 PM   #9
acneman

How old is your son? If I was you I would get a female. I ask how old your son is because if he is young he might just be going through an I want a puppy stage but if he is older then he should be helping alot in keeping the dogs safe when around one another.
Hey, I take offense to that statement LittleMissE... I go through the "I want a puppy" stage every time I see Legacy, Bo, Kane, Slick, Missy... basically, I go through it every day!!

Old 11-02-2009, 07:54 PM   #10
Mqcawkzd

The new puppy is for my son, he has wanted a dog for a while now and he has been showing us that he is ready to take care of a dog of his own. Duke is his sisters dog, but he helps take care of him all of the time. We are aware that it will be a big change bringing another dog into our household, but I do not feel okay telling my son he cannot have another dog because of Duke. I am just looking for any help on what sex of dog we should get and any help on introducing Duke to a new puppy.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:16 PM   #11
primaveraloler

If you feel your son is responsible enough for a dog of his own, that is a call only you can make, but if you do get the dog, and Duke and the new dog don't get along. Get prepared to keep them separate at all times. Also, even if they do get along, make sure you never leave them alone together.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:25 PM   #12
acneman

Dang.. I was replying and we lost power... anyway, let me tell you my experience.... My son wanted a dog so bad he could taste it... so when he was about 16ish, and in his first high school play, I went to Wal Mart with my sister, and they were giving away puppies (FYI- there's no such thing as a free puppy) Anyway, Titus was so freaking cute, so I brought him home, and we named him after my son's character in the play The Curious Savage, Titus Savage.

I'm the one that has fed him, made sure he is UTD on his shots, has his Heartgard, and I took him in to have him neutered. My son couldn't care less if he was neutered, doesn't have a clue when his shots are due, and I promise you, he doesn't even know what Heartgard is, let alone why Titus takes it. I make sure he has water, bring him in when it's hot, cold, or raining, and I'm the one that brushes him. I love Titus, wouldn't take anything for him, even though David just "had to have a dog" and promised to take care of him, in the end, I'm the one that does all of that. Just a little insight on my experience on a son that just had to have a dog, and what the end result is. David doesn't have time for Titus, and he's never home. Maybe once a week, he will go outside and toss the log for Titus to fetch... the dog won't play fetch with a stick like normal dogs, he has to fetch logs..

But he is adorable!

and his famous burnt log picture!!

Old 11-02-2009, 09:59 PM   #13
freflellalafe

Dang.. I was replying and we lost power... anyway, let me tell you my experience.... My son wanted a dog so bad he could taste it... so when he was about 16ish, and in his first high school play, I went to Wal Mart with my sister, and they were giving away puppies (FYI- there's no such thing as a free puppy) Anyway, Titus was so freaking cute, so I brought him home, and we named him after my son's character in the play The Curious Savage, Titus Savage.

I'm the one that has fed him, made sure he is UTD on his shots, has his Heartgard, and I took him in to have him neutered. My son couldn't care less if he was neutered, doesn't have a clue when his shots are due, and I promise you, he doesn't even know what Heartgard is, let alone why Titus takes it. I make sure he has water, bring him in when it's hot, cold, or raining, and I'm the one that brushes him. I love Titus, wouldn't take anything for him, even though David just "had to have a dog" and promised to take care of him, in the end, I'm the one that does all of that. Just a little insight on my experience on a son that just had to have a dog, and what the end result is. David doesn't have time for Titus, and he's never home. Maybe once a week, he will go outside and toss the log for Titus to fetch... the dog won't play fetch with a stick like normal dogs, he has to fetch logs..

But he is adorable!

and his famous burnt log picture!!
great post my son is the same way. but If you do get a dog I would get a female. and like someone said before. get them altered. and keep them apart when unsupervised.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:10 PM   #14
Kotyara

When I was 13 my parents refused to let me have a dog. We were a "cat" household and they knew that I wouldn't be responsible enough to take care of a dog (let alone a puppy), so I went and started volunteering my time at a local no kill shelter. I was there 6 days a week after school, and I'd stay there for about 3 hours a day. I had to feed, water and clean, but after that I got to play with ALL the dogs. So instead of having one at home that I have to watch 24/7, I had up to 30 dogs that I could play with and then go home after a few hours. Ended up working out great for everyone. I got 30 dogs that were my best friends, my parents didnt have to put up with a puppy and they got rid of me for 3 hours a day, and the shelter got a volunteer that was there almost every day of the week.

To me that would be another option to consider. It would help to make sure he's responsible enough to take care of a puppy.

But on a side note. Working with shelters and homeless animals all my life is probably the reason why I now have 3 dogs (one is a foster), 2 cats and a snake in my home... lol

Old 11-02-2009, 10:17 PM   #15
acneman

When I was 13 my parents refused to let me have a dog. We were a "cat" household and they knew that I wouldn't be responsible enough to take care of a dog (let alone a puppy), so I went and started volunteering my time at a local no kill shelter. I was there 6 days a week after school, and I'd stay there for about 3 hours a day. I had to feed, water and clean, but after that I got to play with ALL the dogs. So instead of having one at home that I have to watch 24/7, I had up to 30 dogs that I could play with and then go home after a few hours. Ended up working out great for everyone. I got 30 dogs that were my best friends, my parents didnt have to put up with a puppy and they got rid of me for 3 hours a day, and the shelter got a volunteer that was there almost every day of the week.

To me that would be another option to consider. It would help to make sure he's responsible enough to take care of a puppy.

But on a side note. Working with shelters and homeless animals all my life is probably the reason why I now have 3 dogs (one is a foster), 2 cats and a snake in my home... lol

Old 11-02-2009, 10:53 PM   #16
oscilsoda

It is your family and your desision but I would definitly get a female and I would have them both fixed.

For future: If you finally find the pup you want introduce both dogs be for you decide. Had both dogs on a leash in a nuteral territory and see how your bulldog acts. Watch his body language. You will know right away if the bulldog likes the pup or not. This is a good way to involve the bulldog in your desision and making him feel included. Instead of comeing home with a ball of furr and freaking him out. Take it slow don't rush into anything casue as you know dogs are a life time commitment.

Good Luck and keep us posted!

Old 11-02-2009, 11:58 PM   #17
furillo

It is your family and your desision but I would definitly get a female and I would have them both fixed.

For future: If you finally find the pup you want introduce both dogs be for you decide. Had both dogs on a leash in a nuteral territory and see how your bulldog acts. Watch his body language. You will know right away if the bulldog likes the pup or not. This is a good way to involve the bulldog in your desision and making him feel included. Instead of comeing home with a ball of furr and freaking him out. Take it slow don't rush into anything casue as you know dogs are a life time commitment.

Good Luck and keep us posted!
I agree that introductions before anything is decided is very important!

My roomie recently got a 6 month old pup from the shelter (my fault, she loves the breed [Rhodesian Ridgeback, also tend to be dog agressive like APBT] and I told her about him). We thought for sure he would either be too dominant to consider (she has an older male Ridgeback/Lab mix) or that her older dog would just dislike him. Went to meet him and he was very submissive (we all know that can change as they grow and are prepared to deal with it -- as you should also be) and upon meeting her older dog we were very surprised at how well it all went. Long story short, they happened to mesh; which we would never have known without introducing first. My dog was a moot point, she loves everyone.

Also, we were very careful to crate and rotate the boys the first week we had the pup. The pup was also on leash attatched to one of us during his time out of the crate. This really helped when we started letting them spend time together because the pup couldn't harass him constantly. The pup sleeps in his crate, so theres no bed jealousy or anything. Its all gone very smoothly, mostly I think because we were prepared and know our dogs (and the breed) well. Hope this helps.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:48 AM   #18
carletoxtrs

I know her your son feels,my pup is almost 7 months old and loves playing with other dogs so me and my wife are considering a female puppy for him...we are'nt gonna breed them either,too many irresponsible BYBs that we don't need anymore.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:58 AM   #19
secondmortgages

I know how your son feels. I'm still trying to convince my mom to get me a dog haha. Did double duty on chores for awhile, but she won't budge. Think I might just wait till I graduate in 3 years ugghhhh.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:03 PM   #20
Mqcawkzd

Thanks for all of the advise. We do plan on introducing Duke to the puppy, this will be the determining factor. It will be a couple of weeks before we make any decisions, I will keep you poster.

Reply to Thread New Thread