LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 01-23-2009, 05:18 AM   #1
HilaryNidierer

Default How many years of pitbull experience do you have?
i got my first pitbull in 1982. she was a black nose brindle. thick and strong. she was bred in 1984 to a rednose . 13 pups and 12 lived. big litter for sure. having these amazing animals for over 25 years i can still learn something new from them daily. IMO less then 20 years is a novice and hats off to the real guys like boudreax, and colby and all the old, school guys. they have stuck with the breed they love. what's your thought????????

Old 01-23-2009, 05:32 AM   #2
Sillaycheg

I just got my first pit Daisy 2 years ago. Last summer, I added Duke to the list. They were my first pits and BY FAR the best dogs I've ever owned. I don't want anything other than a pit for the rest of my life. What great dogs!!

Old 01-23-2009, 05:37 AM   #3
Chooriwrocaxz

I was born and raised with APBT, just shy a few months of 20yrs experience with the breed. And I think It will be a breed i am forever going to be involved with. Ive raised well over 20+ Bullies. And have rescued around 40+ other breeds nothing compares to a bully.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:47 AM   #4
movlabs

i have owned a aspen for 1 year not much like some of you guys but i'm leaning

Old 01-23-2009, 07:16 AM   #5
invasuant

Personally, years in the breed plays only a small portion to the knowledge a person gains about that breed. Just because a person has X number of years doesn't make them an expert or better than everyone else. It's what you strive to learn in the time you've been given with this breed and what you make of it.

Call me a novice or a newbie or whatever all you want for not being in the breed 20+ years, but I've taken the time to learn, watch and continue to learn and not close my mind off to new things or new ways of thinking. I know this world is full of knowledge and I'll be damn proud to get that knowledge from any source that's willing to teach me.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:46 AM   #6
Sipewrio

2 years, but thanks to so many wonderful people on this board, I learn more and more everyday. To all of you who have patiently, and sometimes not so patiently, answered all my questions, or at least pointed me in the right direction, my family thanks you from the bottom of our hearts.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:17 AM   #7
stadiaKab

It takes only 1 day to fall in love with them and a lifetime to fully understand them. I appreciate when someone new to the breed takes the time and makes the effort to learn as much as they can about the breed for the good of thier dog...that is what is most important to me.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:37 AM   #8
DoctorGordanBens

15 years just about. Got my first pit in 1994 (although I was only a kid then), had her for about 10 years and had to get rid of her because I had to move. Also got another pit in 1997 but had to put it down after 3 months as its spine was growing irregularly. Went five years without owning any pits but just got a 8 week old puppy a month ago, and just got another pit 3 days ago whos nine months old. I really missed pitbulls

Old 01-23-2009, 12:56 PM   #9
ASSESTYTEAH

In the 9 years I have owned "pitbulls" (depends on what you consider to be one) I have bred none and have put 68 sport titles on them.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:57 PM   #10
Guaranano

Over 20 years but most of that is with SBTs rather than APBTs.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:20 PM   #11
Pvfcadbh

I grew up with a pit bull but I would say 3 years experience. tootsie was my first, I have always loved them but I was one of the people who said I woulden't have one in my house with my kids. now I won't have nothing but a pit bull.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:09 PM   #12
JosephNF

I tried to adopt a bully 5 years ago from our local spca, did all my research and lots of learning before I tried to adopt her. The spca made me bring the kids, my pug Alexia who is now 8, over period of several weeks. Everything was in order. I was all set to adopt her she was a perfect match. One problem came up 2 days before I could bring her to her forever home, I did not have a fenced yard. I was devastated. Cryed for months over this dog. They would not allow me to have her. But now 5 years later my Charlotte found me. I was not even looking for her. I had just lost my other pug at the tender age of 5 from cancer in August 2008. Run free my little angel. I will see you again. Any how Charlotte is my first APBT. So I really do not have years experance like alot of you. I hope this doesn't change anything for me with all of you. I love this forum and so happy to be apart of such a wonderful well informed place. Charlotte and I send a big to all in this forum.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:30 PM   #13
peemovvie

My heart was captured 16 years ago when my son had to have a 'pit bull'. Boo destroyed everything his gf owned. boo became mine and 6 months later someone threw away a little blonde girl, Honey. i only learned love from them for 14 years. I now have Duke, and the terrorists, echo , Kaja and Little Girl. i have learned more in 2 years than i did in the entire life time of boo and honey. I am still learning, still a novice. Much of my education has been from this forum. Thank you

Old 01-23-2009, 04:29 PM   #14
Pataacculakp

I've been trying to learn about the breed for over three years now. Have yet to own a full blooded APBT, but even my dogs have taught me a lot, as well as many of these groups, and certain members. I definitely consider myself as newbie still, and probably will always be a "student of the breed".

Old 01-23-2009, 05:42 PM   #15
HilaryNidierer

Personally, years in the breed plays only a small portion to the knowledge a person gains about that breed. Just because a person has X number of years doesn't make them an expert or better than everyone else. It's what you strive to learn in the time you've been given with this breed and what you make of it.

Call me a novice or a newbie or whatever all you want for not being in the breed 20+ years, but I've taken the time to learn, watch and continue to learn and not close my mind off to new things or new ways of thinking. I know this world is full of knowledge and I'll be damn proud to get that knowledge from any source that's willing to teach me.
don't take it wrong. some people have dogs figured out from the start. i know that. IMO pitdogs are 2x the dog and 10x the hassle , all worth it. once you bond with with a pit, that's it!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-23-2009, 05:50 PM   #16
HilaryNidierer

some great responses. and i am not putting anyone down , even if you got your first pit yesterday. i was giving praise to the old schoolers that have paved the way. this board can teach you alot. i always remind people though, everyones experiences can be different, and opinions are just that, not fact. so learn to distinguish between the 2. i also know someone can have dogs for 50 years of their life and not learn a thing. so it's good to see why so many are here, to learn and share knowledge.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:17 PM   #17
siflversonemunk

am defiantly a newbie to ownership of this wonderful breed of dogs though i was raised with them and have been around them all my life. i just got my pup about 3 1/2 months ago and have strive to learn some thing new about her and her breed daily this sight has taught me lots as well as other web sights ,books etc. and of all the research, prep etc i did over the last 6 years before getting my pup. i have learned most from her

thank you to all the people that have answered my some times dumb question good or bad responses you have all taught me something.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:38 PM   #18
DYjLN8rF

I'm a newbie to this breed...only 6 mos. I spend a lot of time looking for info on the breed and end up neglecting my other priorities doing so. I've learned a lot here in a very sort time. Thanks everyone!

Old 01-23-2009, 09:39 PM   #19
LClan439

I grew up with the breed, and have had so many I can barely remember them all, and for sure there is something to be learned from these dogs everyday. 20+years for me.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:01 AM   #20
maxfreemann

I was 8 when we got our first Pit Bull-type, 12 when I really started getting into soaking up the info on them, and 23 when I got my first non-BYB puppy. I'll be 29 in a few months. My experience with show dogs and all that only goes back like 6 years, but in the other 14 or so, I learned a lot about what living with the breed is like. (Spent some time BYBing and dealing with manbiters during that time, so I got pre-proofed against making a ton of idiotic mistakes later when I'd really start coming into my own.) So I always say I've got around 20 years learning about these dogs.

ETA: The whole of my experience includes 2 BYB litters. 7 titles on APBTs, 10 titles overall. (Including those CGC titles. *winks at Manu*) More pending with our young dogs.

Reply to Thread New Thread