LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 09-16-2009, 01:46 AM   #1
STYWOMBORGOSY

Default Lovable pit bull for adoption
My friend has to rehome her pitbull, though I am very leary of the breed, I have to say, he is a lovable lazy couch potato of a pitbull. (I think he is about 5) He was raised with three young boys and she has never had an incident of aggression. If any of you know a shelter or someone looking for a companion dog he would be great. He adores his owner following her from room to room just to be near her. He is crate trained and has no accident sin the house and she will give you the crate and whatever food she has for him! PM me if you want more details.
She is sick at the thought of him going to a shelter and being put down.

Old 09-18-2009, 04:19 PM   #2
leijggigf

My friend has to rehome her pitbull, though I am very leary of the breed, I have to say, he is a lovable lazy couch potato of a pitbull. (I think he is about 5) He was raised with three young boys and she has never had an incident of aggression. If any of you know a shelter or someone looking for a companion dog he would be great. He adores his owner following her from room to room just to be near her. He is crate trained and has no accident sin the house and she will give you the crate and whatever food she has for him! PM me if you want more details.
She is sick at the thought of him going to a shelter and being put down.
Why is she getting rid of her dog?

Old 09-18-2009, 04:30 PM   #3
Gubocang

My thoughts too. This city is overcrowded with Pit Bulls and obviously the Vick scandal has shown this city has an active market for fighting dogs. If she absolutely has to get rid of her dog (and I'm not sure how this happens to people because homeless people still manage to take care of dogs), I'd make sure she puts ads requiring people to pay money for her dog and interviews the people as well as does a home visit as to where they will live, interview the proposed vet, etc.

Old 09-18-2009, 04:38 PM   #4
Sopsneork

If she brings him to the shelter he will probably be put down.

If she has the resources, she should see about placing him with a rescue alongside a "care" donation.

If not, as an absolute last resort, I would recommend taking him to the Erie Avenue PSPCA branch @ 350 E. Erie Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19134. (as opposed to the ACCT-which is also now run by the PSPCA- which is experiencing issues of over crowding.)

Somebody may be able to correct me, but I believe the 350 E. Erie Ave. spot euthanizes a lower percentage of their animals. I believe they charge a placement fee of $50 or $100 though whereas I don't think the ACCT charges any money.

Good luck finding him a home, he sounds like a wonderful dog!

Old 09-21-2009, 05:03 AM   #5
pfcwlkxav

You cannot surrender animals at the Erie Ave. location. ACCT is the animal control shelter which is also run by the PSPCA and is where all the strays and owner surrenders are taken. Unfortunately they are usually full ( with tons of other wonderful Pits), so they often have to euthanize for space. I would strongly caution your friend from taking the dog there. Not because they don't care or do their best to save every animal, but because there are just too many people dumping their pets and not enough room.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:22 AM   #6
Eagevawax

I agree with Brooke's suggestions. Your friend will have to do more than just find a shelter and hope for the best. What about a breed rescue group if she can't find a good home?

Old 12-01-2009, 05:09 AM   #7
pimbertiemoft

You could possibly go to a no-kill shelter at 2nd & Arch St.
They might be able to give you the info you need.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:37 PM   #8
Aswdwdfg

Animals are not disposable. How about she take responsibility and keep the dog.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:57 PM   #9
foI3fKWv

You could possibly go to a no-kill shelter at 2nd & Arch St.
They might be able to give you the info you need.
Just a quick warning that no-kill shelters are very picky with the animals they accept, as they know they will need to find them a home or keep them for life. And the location at 2nd and Arch only holds a couple dogs at a time, most of its space goes to cats.
The Pet Pundit What does “no-kill” really mean when it comes to pet overpopulation?:

Animals are not disposable. How about she take responsibility and keep the dog.
But I agree with this statement. Why do you take in a dog that you have no intention of keeping for its life? I would love to have a dog, but I know that I am not sure if I could sign on for a 10-20 year commitment right now... so I don't. Short of it biting your child or something, I don't see an acceptable reason to get rid of it. It's irresponsible people like this that make me understand why the shelters are so full.

If I sound annoyed... it's because I am. My heart breaks for all the poor animals stuck in those shelters, whose only fault was to look so cute as a puppy that people adopted them without properly planning for it.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:00 PM   #10
Ayyfjicg

ESPECIALLY when you take an animal like a pit bull.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:02 PM   #11
Solo3uc4

Ugh, like there aren't enough pit bulls looking for homes in this city. I hope she has a lot of time to find and properly screen a new home--that can take months of hard work. A pit bull in a city shelter has maybe a 50% chance of survival. I realize you're just trying to help out a friend, but she needs to know the reality of dropping her dog off at a shelter.

No one should get a dog without thinking about all the consequences. That includes big stuff like moving to a new place, having kids, getting married, getting a new job, becoming sick or disabled, going on active duty in the military, etc. I don't know what your friend's situation is, but I hope she does right by her dog.

Reply to Thread New Thread