LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 10-21-2008, 04:31 AM   #1
HondasMenFox

Default need help finding the right puppie
i'm lookin to get either an APBT or an AMbully if i go the bully route i don't want a short squatty one tho, i do MMA so i want a dog that can run with me, i can train on the springpole, and hangout with me while i work bc i do construction! what would you more experienced owners suggest for me? it seems like all breeders you find on the internet are selling these ridiculously expensive bully hybrid pitts! i just want an athletic, muscular, tough looking companion! i thought about adopting but i want to be sure i have a good bloodline full bred APBT bc my sister has a beautiful female that i'd like to breed with it's a colby/RE bloodline but not a stocky mastiff looking RE at all
all advice appreciated thanks!

Old 10-21-2008, 06:00 PM   #2
Speareerfug

Please check out our Adoption/Rescue section. There's one dog on there, Pasha, that could be your new lifetime best friend.

And please, reconsider breeding just because your sister has a beautiful dog. There are beautiful dogs overloading shelters and foster homes. Breeding on looks alone, is never a good reason to breed.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:17 PM   #3
xtc2d6u8

Try looking at some shelter dogs, I've seen some absolutely gorgeous pit bulls at adoption events. I know quite a few people who got their dogs from shelters and they've had no problems, all the dogs have been wonderful companions.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:31 PM   #4
GlarlraTpople

I was going to post this somewhere else, but decided to put here instead. I really hope it changes your mind and everybody else who wants to breed their dog. Think twice and then again.

I found this on the best of Craigslist.

Hello kids. I'm your friendly neighborhood Animal Control Officer, and I'd like to officially tell you all to bite my ass. Before I ride off into the sunset, however - here are some parting words...

1) To all the jackasses who ask me if I don't have something better to do than giving them a ticket for no license/dog off leash/being a douchebag. The answer is no. No, I have nothing better than to take my precious time and taxpayer dollars to write you a COMPLETELY LAME ticket for not doing what was your responsibility to do in the first place. I love nothing more than babysitting grown adults who seem incapable of wiping their own ass without law enforcement present. Thanks, dirtbags.

2) To all the jackasses who ask me why I'm not rounding up all the killer pitbulls. Where...WHERE!? Where are all the killer pitbulls that are roaming the streets and attacking your women and children. My god, the city should just issue you all SHOTGUNS to fend off these land sharks. In other news, THERE IS NO VICIOUS PITBULL EPIDEMIC. Let's all hold hands and say it together folks, the only epidemic is misinformation, ignorance and animal neglect. Thanks, please drive through to the second window and receive a punch in the face.

3) To all the jackasses who refuse to spay/neuter, or who think they're "breeders" because they put fido and fifi together and produced a litter of mongrels who will all likely end up in a barrel behind the shelter by the time they reach sexual maturity: Die. Diediediediedie. I wish to god that there was a mandatory spay/neuter law and that the penalty for breaking it was to be forced to spend a day working in the euthanasia room. Seriously. It's simple fucking math, people. Every dog or cat you carelessly add into this world takes away a home for a dog or cat that is already here. So breeding means killing...so have a good day, executioners! I hope the 50 bucks you made off that puppy sure feels good.

4) There is no goddamn thing as "No Kill". I hate to burst your collective bubble, but when you call and ask if our shelter is "no kill", don't treat me like a kitten murderer when I tell you NO. There are simply not enough resources or homes available to find every pet a home and that is NOT MY FAULT. Quite simply, there is no "dog whisperer" in the world who can save your eight year old Rottweiler that spent his entire life chained to a tree in your backyard. Sorry, buster - but this one's on you. And the places that claim to be "No Kill"? They simply send the unplaceable pets across the street to Animal Control who do the killing for them. WAKE. UP. Until mandatory spay/neuter becomes law, killing is going to happen.

5)You know what's fun? Being told that I must "really hate dogs" because I'm an Animal Control Officer. Yes sir. I put up with retards like you, the abysmally low pay, and this fabulously flattering uniform just so I can take all my bitterness out on your dog. That's also why I foster animals, paying for their care out of my own pocket and using up my precious little free time to do it. Yeah, that's it. Now how's about you shut your mouth and put a leash on your dog you asshole, so I don't have to peel him off the street later.

6) LEASHES, PEOPLE. They're not just for the "bad dogs". Quite frankly, dogs are carnivores - predators, if you will. When they see something furry and running fast, like a squirrel or a cat - they tend to chase after it. Next thing you know, I'm scooping up Scooby with a plastic bag...not fun. Or, how about the person who does not in fact, like dogs and has to be accosted by your poochie when they walk down the street? Or, what about the dog aggressive dog being walked safely and in control on a leash until your unleashed dog comes up and just wants to say "hi"? Dog fights are pretty ugly, and NO ONE seems to anticipate them until it's too late. So don't piss and moan when I give you a verbal warning for having your dog off leash...because that leads me to:

7) Your mouth will write you a ticket. Oh yeah, no kidding. I hate writing tickets. They're a pain in the ass. I have to deal with your melt down, then I have to go back to the office and write a report about it. Next, I have to show up in court because you want to contest the ticket, even though 60% of the time YOU NEVER SHOW UP YOU CHICKENSHIT BASTARDS. So, the deal is this - if you're nice and not eggregiously breaking the law, I'm probably just going to warn you and then go about my day. As soon as you break out the lip however, I'm breaking out the ticket book. Press hard, there's four copies.

In conclusion. I quit! Actually, you dipshits broke me a while back and it's been months of therapy before I could write this little missive. I still shudder when I see a pair of testicles on a dog though, so watch out.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:10 PM   #5
HondasMenFox

wow guess i coulda left the breeding part out, since my best friend owns Ozark American bulldogs where they breed, american bulldogs, boxers, and APBT they asked for a male out of my sisters dog wich is almost full colby bloodline, i just wanted to give them first pick and i really don't think i'll have any problem giving/selling them, i know adopting is great and thats wat i'm looking to do, but most ppl want a purebred dog were they can see the pedigree and have papers, so i think sometimes everyone on this sight gets carried away with their own veiws jumping on ppls asses for, wanting to breed their dogs, or buying dogs from breeders, or showing intrerest in AMbullys, U guys jumped some guys ass for telling a story about how his lil brother let his dog out! it was a fuckin ACCIDENT give the guy a break!! i think you guys need to remember everyone here loves APBT or we wouldn't be talking on her and it's not your job to be the mothers and fathers and put your views on ppl who don't ask for them

Old 10-21-2008, 07:21 PM   #6
Jon Woodgate

WOW, that tell all from craigs list was AWESOME.
To BGOOD: I like both types of pits that you are looking into. They can both do a lot of what you are looking for. I know that everyone has a differnt idea of what type of dog they want and the look that they are going for. However I do think that they first thing you should consider is the personality and temperment. What if you get a dog that is the look you want but then it's personality and behavior suck because you got a dog only based on looks. make sure they dog is going to be a good advocite for this breed and good for you and what you want to do with it
JMO

Old 10-21-2008, 07:25 PM   #7
HondasMenFox

pitgirl- thank you very much, and ya i know thats y i'm taking my time to find the right pup! sorry about my venting on the last post lol! but i'm not breeding to add to the problem! i'm the one trying to adopt and am letting my sisters pit breed with another one so my friends kennel can try and find a new male stud!

Old 10-21-2008, 07:28 PM   #8
Speareerfug

Sorry, sometimes, things get carried away. However, I do want to point out that we are all concerned for our dogs and the current BSL wildfire that is spreading to most of our states, and for some, their own cities.

Please just remember one thing: If you breed your sisters beautiful dog, and have an awesome litter of puppies, all of which survive birth, and are all adorably cute beyond belief..... how can you be sure that every dog you sell/give away, will be getting as wonderful of a home as you and your sister have provided for the mother and said puppy for it's first 10 weeks of life? Let's assume that, out of all your beautiful puppies, one gets sold to someone, or given away to someone, that has the money in hand, and seems like a pretty decent person..... but they become bored with the cute little puppy, or worse, the puppy starts chewing up shoes, or the kitchen table legs, and, due to no one having the time to train it, it starts peeing all over the house..... The result is, that great person that seemed pretty good when they wanted your pup, has now thrown the dog in the back yard, where the pup finds a hole in the fence, just big enough to crawl under, and either gets hit by a passing car, or else, just roams, and breeds with other dogs on the streets, and is never properly socialized, and becomes not only dog aggressive, but human aggressive due to mean little kids throwing rocks at it all the time. Next thing you know, said pup is the lead story on the 5:00 news.

*Just something for you to chew on. I'm not saying you can't do what you want, I'm just asking you to look down the road. If your dog has a litter of 12 healthy pups, there's no way you can keep tabs on all 12 of those pups after they leave your care and know for sure, 100%, that they are in the hands of wonderful, responsible, loving owners.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:26 PM   #9
GlarlraTpople

BGood, my intention was not to judge or preach, if I came across as that, than I apologize. I think that the people on here all mean well. It’s just that when we hear “breeding” we become very concerned because of the overpopulation of unwanted and neglected pets out there. Awhile back I fostered a pregnant lab mix. She had 6 pups. Of course, they all got adopted. BUT, when an adoptee adopts a pet, we are all going on good faith that what they tell us is true. Who really knows how many of the adopted pets end up going to shelters, not because they didn’t love them, but because they lost their job, home, sickness, divorce, etc. Who is going to take care of that cute puppy or kitten than. As we all know, shit happens. Also, I agree with everything that Mollie’s Nana said. Once again, don’t think I am judging you, just give it a lot of thought.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:32 PM   #10
drexigordiche

I added a bunch on your intro.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:17 PM   #11
hablyShappY

my only concern, you say you want an AM. Bully OR APBT to breed with your sisters apbt?

Problem being if you get an AM.Bully to cross with the apbt you are strongly helping destroy the breed in that aspect.

Also do you plan on getting the dogs titled in conformation or anything?

Breeding solely on bloodline isn't a good idea in general, You might have a dog near full colby lines, BUT that doesn't mean the dog is worth breeding.

I grew up in a show dog family. My father specializing in showing Am. Staffs and Staff Bull's in AKC and APBTs in other shows for APBT. He never just bred his dogs based on bloodline alone, he showed and competed with his dogs. He did hip, eye, elbow etc screening to make sure the dogs were 100% healthy, then he set up waiting lists until he had more then enough homes lined up. All the homes on the waiting list were full blown screened homes (Including backround checks, refrences etc) My dad was one of the most responsible breeders Ive ever met when it comes to this breed and unless your willing to invest the large amounts of money and time in BOTH dogs I'd suggest not breeding or tell your sister to find a qualified stud dog to breed with hers.

Theres a lot more to it then getting two good lined dogs and breeding them, thats no better then being a backyard breeder.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:48 PM   #12
HondasMenFox

no if i got an ambully i wouldn't breed APBT bottom line/main objective i'm just looking for a companion who can run with me, hang out at the house, and climb in the truck and go to work with me when i'm doing construction, the breeding was just a maybe sometime the road kinda sorta deal, not the purpose of me buying a puppie

Reply to Thread New Thread