LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 09-17-2008, 12:50 PM   #1
carletoxtrs

Default Have you ever been bitten?
Just wondering how many of you have been bitten, I mean REALLY bitten, not just snapped at. If so what breed, how old were you and under what circumstances? The reason I ask, on the 5:00 news last night a woman was bit on her face at the 7eleven. Some guy tied his pit bull up outside, she said she just walked by and he lunged and bit her above the lip. The owner will be fined and the dog put down. I must admit it pissed me off that it made the 5pm news.
When I was 11, riding my bike up a big hill a black lab came out at me, I stopped cuz I was never scared of dogs, he sniffed my leg, everything was fine until a huge st.bernard came out on my other side, so now they're growling at eachother through my bike, I'm kinda froze but decided to move slowly forward...big mistake the lab took a nice chunk out of the back of my leg. I guess my bloodhurdling scream scared them cuz then they took off. But it never made our tiny local paper, let alone the news! nothing was ever done, it was 20 yrs ago and there was a lot of loose dogs then.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:07 PM   #2
enrisaabsotte

I got bit by a pit bull becase I put my leg in the middle of a fight. Dumb dumb dumb ( on my part) but luckily it was a bull dog, all I did was say his name and he quickly realized that my calf was not the other dog.

I have been bitten by a few small dogs, nothing note worthy.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:34 PM   #3
Worseacar

I've been bitten by small dogs - never a large dog.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:46 PM   #4
nonDosearrany

I'm wondering if anyone on this forum has ever been biten by THEIR OWN dog, and what the situation was?

Old 09-17-2008, 07:06 PM   #5
Faungarne

I was bitten on my face by a miniature poodle when I was 3 years old. We were at my Aunt's neighbor's house. I guess my Dad was doing some plumbing for the guy. My Dad wanted to kill the dog, but since it was all the old man had, my Dad let it live.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:11 PM   #6
MormefWrarebe

Never, ever, bitten on purpose by my own dogs. Did get my hand between 2 dogs scrapping with each other & get my finger messed up a little.

I have however been bitten on the ankle by a Chihuahua when I was about 8 years old & have also been bitten by a Miniature Schnauzer when I was at a friend's house. Both bites unprovoked.

Several years ago I worked with Rottweilers & German Shepards, training them as guard dogs & have gotten "pinched" thru my padded suit when I was being attacked. No harm done but I sure was glad to have the suit on.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:14 PM   #7
Agitoligflise

I've had some close calls...mostly by scared dogs at the vet, but nothing major. Cats, on the other hand, I have multiple scars from.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:29 PM   #8
sabbixsweraco

I'm wondering if anyone on this forum has ever been biten by THEIR OWN dog, and what the situation was?
I have been bitten by my chihuahua, JC. We were at the vet and I was holding him so the vet could put a muzzle on him and he re-directed and bit my finger and drew blood.

I did get lunged at just last week by a German Shepard police dog.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:38 PM   #9
Faungarne

Nope, I have never been bitten by one of my own dogs. If it ever does happen, it won't be alive much longer after it bites me.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:22 PM   #10
Jenisoisy

My dogs have never bitten me. They mouth me in play, but neither of my dogs, have ever drawn blood on purpose in some type of "rage". Roxy is a "grabber" in grumpy moods. She'll quite literally grab your wrist or hand, but with basically no pressure. This is no doubt because we allow our dogs to mouth us all the time.

I've been bitten a few times at work, I wouldn't say more then 5, only the puppies have drawn blood, only bruising by the bigger dogs. Dozens of times by small little puppies, more nips than actual bites though, their teeth are just razor sharp! Most of the time it's over treats and they're just a little eager! I was bitten by a cocker spaniel a few sets ago, I can't remember the exact situation, but I think it was something to do with his collar, either I was holding his collar for his owner while she was putting a leash on (she used to bring flexi-leads, ack) or changing the collar or something along those lines. He snaked his around and bit me in the wrist/forearm.

Surprisingly the breeds of dog you think would have the most issues being owned by pet homes, GSD's, Rotts, Dogues etc have never bitten anyone in a class.

I see a lot of dogs biting owners though. A 9 month old lab puppy that looks like she uses her owners' arms as chew toys. It really is awful, bruising and puncture holes all on her arms.

I've never been full out attacked or bitten by a strange dog on the street though, or at a friend's house. Only those handful of times at dog school.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:49 PM   #11
bjacogaerllyo

i got attacked by my two friends pitbulls and i also i have been tore up by a police german shep... thats hurts like a bitch

Old 09-17-2008, 09:46 PM   #12
glazgoR@

I was working at a grooming shop when i got bitten by ashar-pei it left me a scar on my left thrumb and i got nailed by a cat real hard on my left hand trying to get x-rays of it. i was never careful of my left hand lol. i worked at an animal hospital for almost 3 years so there were little ones too but mostly from kittens or small dogs.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:44 PM   #13
weaddercaps

I've been bitten several times.

First time, I don't remember, but my mom said it was a Chihuahua.. I don't know if it was ours or not.

2nd time- I was 8, there was a black Lab down the street named Butch. Some kid had poked out one of his eyes with a stick, but we were buddies. I was going to church camp, & went to tell him bye. He was eating, didn't hear me ride up on my bike. So, I decided to surprise him. I snuck up and said HEY BUTCH!! while touching him on his blind side. Wrong thing to do!! He bit my leg, I had to go to Dr, no stitches, but tetanus shot. Oh, and no church camp for me either... my first and last chance to ever go!!

3rd time- Mollie was jumped by 2 German Shepherds when she was about 6-8 months old. After we got the 2 GS's off her, one of them lunged for her and got my forearm. I got 10 stitches for that one.

4th time (and hopefully the last)-- Mollie had a wild hair up her butt, jumped my old boy Maxx, and at the time, I didn't have a break stick. She wasn't letting go, so (like a dummy!!) I tried to break her hold by putting my hand in her mouth---NOT A GOOD IDEA!!! Mollie bit down, and got the tip of my finger... had to go to the ER to make sure the tip of my finger wasn't crushed. Needless to say, the first day back to work after this incident, I ordered 2 break sticks.... and I have used them a couple of times, when Mollie got Maxx again, and then when she and Titus tied up. Now, she NEVER goes outside with them, ever! I do let her out with Zoe and Gizzmo, but not alone... live and learn.

So I'm an experienced dog biter.... or dog teething ring... but I've learned a lot about bullies, and don't leave them alone unattended, and always have my break stick when she is outside or on a walk. Up until I read the story about the pit killing the dog at PetCo, I had never considered taking it with me when she goes with me, but from now on, I will!

Old 09-17-2008, 10:44 PM   #14
markbila

I use to own Chows, they are biters so yes many times by them, we had a Rottie that bite my then 7 year old in the face, they were playing and she had one of my good towels and I told her not to play with him with my good towel and she went to put it up and he was trying to get it and she tried to hold it above her head thinking he could not reach it, but he went for it and got her face, she is now grown and still has the scares.

My oldest daughter was bite by an APBT she was 5 the pup was 6 months and the owner had stoped by to talk to my husband at the time about something, he let the pup out and she was playing with it, I did not think anything of it after all it was a pup, he attact her and she spent three days in the hospitial she also has the scares, we later found out that he was a fighter and he was training the pup to fight.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:10 PM   #15
Triiooman

I have never been bitten by my own dogs. The closest to that was the first fight between my girl Savy (RIP) and former foster Fairin. Fairin wasn't letting go, so I figured I could just pull open to mouth.. reached a hand on her top muzzle, wrapped my fingers around and yanked up.. yeah, it didn't open her mouth and my fingers cut all cut up on her teeth lmao but then one of my fingers touched her tongue and she let go SO quick and gave me a "OHMYGAWD I am SO sorry" look. I trust that dog NO MATTER WHAT.

When I was around 5, I was playing fetch with a neighbour's lab/dane mix. I had the ball in my hand, and before I could throw it the dog tried to grab it and bit my hand up pretty good.

And that's about it! I've never had really bad experiences with any dogs, though I've had some near misses. I have never and will never attempt to break up a dog fight between non-bulldog breeds, so that helps keep my bite statistics down. Luckily, all the random dogs that approach me or that I have approached have been friendly. I've been snapped at by tons of little dogs that meant business though.

Our neighbours here had a cocker spaniel that was always biting people, but he loved me... I was petting him one time, and the neighbour's son went to pet him just like I was and the dog almost took off his pinky finger. He had to get like 7 or 8 stitches.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:40 PM   #16
d1Bc25UP

When I was about six I got bitten by my neighbors Jack Russell Terrier on my hand. My brother also got bitten by the same dog on his face but it didn't leave a scar. I too grew up in the days when there were no leash laws so there were always dogs roaming our neighborhood but they were all friendly and never harmed any of the children. I don't know what was up with my neighbor's JRT he was just a little s*** of a dog. What's crazy is those same neigbors had a psycho goose as a pet that would chase strangers down the street. I swear if you ever want protection for your home, get a goose, cuz they're nuts.

Old 09-18-2008, 01:04 AM   #17
carletoxtrs

When I was about six I got bitten by my neighbors Jack Russell Terrier on my hand. My brother also got bitten by the same dog on his face but it didn't leave a scar. I too grew up in the days when there were no leash laws so there were always dogs roaming our neighborhood but they were all friendly and never harmed any of the children. I don't know what was up with my neighbor's JRT he was just a little s*** of a dog. What's crazy is those same neigbors had a psycho goose as a pet that would chase strangers down the street. I swear if you ever want protection for your home, get a goose, cuz they're nuts.
oh yeah them geese are crazy! they attack with no warning, and can actually do a lot of harm. some people insist on feeding them making the problem worse

Old 09-18-2008, 02:00 AM   #18
seicslybearee

Never been bitten *knocks on wood*

Old 09-18-2008, 02:08 AM   #19
houkbsdov

my grandparents "cock-a-poo" little mutt doggie bit me several times when i was young.the face,the hands,arms you name it. dont ask me why they let me play with her unsupervised,i have no clue. although when i got to be about 6 or7 i learned that she was not a toy and she never even got grumpy with me again.we became great friends.i also learned a thing or two about dogs have a great respect for them.

also i got knocked over and "dry-humped" by my friends newfoundlander when i was about 10 lol he didnt bite me but it was pretty messed up!

Old 09-18-2008, 02:08 AM   #20
Prererularl

I've been snapped by other dogs, but not serious injuries.

My mom was nearly killed by a retired police dog when she was 4. A german shepherd. Grabbed her and shook her like a rag doll. People had to beat the dog off her. One of his teeth reached her bladder. The scars are hideous. She played near the dog before with no problems, several times.

Reply to Thread New Thread