LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 09-17-2008, 09:25 PM   #1
Kliopeion

Default Happy 15th Birthday, Cuddles!
In the 4th grade, I was in girl scouts trying to get a Pet Badge. Every fish we got died the next day. It was disturbing. My Mom talk to my Dad, and the both decided that I was mature enough to get my own dog.

So, Mom and I went to Dessin Animal Shelter in Honesdale, PA, because that is where our last dog, Daisy (a beagle/shep. mix) came from and she was a great dog that lived to 17 years old. We went into the back, and there were plenty of dogs to choose from. Little black furballs caught my eye. I went over and looked at them. My Mom saw a beagle and called me over. It was an adorable beagle, but it was already an adult, and I wanted a puppy. I went back over to the furballs, and one in particular caught my eye, because she had one blue eye and one brown eye.

The Shelter attendant came over and asked if I wanted to hold one. I pointed to the one with two different colors eyes. She handed her to me, and the first thing that puppy did was rest her head on my shoulder. I was hooked. My Mom asked the lady how big she would get. The lady said that she would be a pretty big dog, since she was a lab/husky mix. Mom quickly went back over to the beagle and tried once more to get me to want the beagle, but I had a connection already. The lady had us fill out paper work, and told us they would call us when she was ready to go home, because they had to spay her first. Mom and I left, and right outside the shelter, I said to my Mom, "I am naming her Cuddles Blue Eye".

A few days went by when we got a call from the Shelter. They told us that a bunch of the dogs in the shelter had gotten parvo, and that she wasn't sure if Cuddles would get it, but that we had two choices. We could come and get her then and get her fixed ourselves, and hope for the best, or just choose a different dog later on. Mom, Dad, and I talked it through, and my Dad said, "If it was a child, we wouldn't just give up on it. Let's take a chance." So, we brought Cuddles home. She was with us a week (I believe), and she started to show all the signs the shelter warned us about.

We rushed her to the vet, and we got the bad news that she did in fact have parvo. Dad had a budget on it, but soon that passed when both myself and my sister offered our own savings money to help pay the vet bills. Cuddles came home to us healthy what felt like a month. Recently, my Mom told me it was only a week or two. I guess when you are 9, things seem longer.

Cuddles proved to be a fantastic dog to me, though I must admit I haven't always been the greatest owner to her. We had tons of fun throughout these years, between playing in the snow in the winter, and swimming in the lake in the summer. She has, also, been an extremely healthy dog throughout the years.

I was dating Stan for about a year, when my Dad suggested that I ask if Cuddles could stay with him, this way I'd see her more often. It was a great suggestion, and Stan agreed.

Now I don't know Cuddles exact birthday, but the shelter said it was something in Sept., and my lucky number has always been 17. So, I made it the 17th, and have celebrated her b-day on the 17th every year since I have gotten her.

So, Happy birthday to a wonderful dog. I can't believe we've been together 15 years. You still can out walk many dogs younger than you, and have an energy within you that never stops amazing me.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:27 PM   #2
alecoplesosse

Wow, what a great story. 15 is a great life for a dog and I bet cuddles could't have asked for anyone better than you to spend those years with

Happy b-day Cuddles!!!

Old 09-17-2008, 09:31 PM   #3
CreativeSuiteDown

Happy Birthday!

Old 09-17-2008, 09:32 PM   #4
Agitoligflise

That was the sweetest thing I've read in a long time.
Happy birthday, Cuddles!

Old 09-17-2008, 09:37 PM   #5
sabbixsweraco

Happy Birthday.... great story

Old 09-17-2008, 09:43 PM   #6
Ibrattnofich

Happy Birthday Cuddles!!

Old 09-17-2008, 09:49 PM   #7
Mboxmaja

That's a heart warming story, CHJ.
Happy Birthday Cuddles!

Old 09-17-2008, 10:00 PM   #8
crumoursegemo

Happy Birthday, Cuddles!

Old 09-17-2008, 10:10 PM   #9
steansathtpos

Happy Birthday Cuddles!!

Purple and my miserable Dalmation came from Dessin, too!

Old 09-17-2008, 10:24 PM   #10
SoOW2LeA

So, Happy birthday to a wonderful dog. I can't believe we've been together 15 years. You still can out walk many dogs younger than you, and have an energy within you that never stops amazing me.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CUDDLES! You are a lucky dog to have a special owner.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:26 PM   #11
Prererularl

AWeeeee Happy Birthday!!!!!

Old 09-18-2008, 02:27 AM   #12
Kliopeion

Thanks all!

Thanks for the good poster thing, Phantom.

Purple, that is awesome! Yay Dessin!

Old 09-18-2008, 03:11 PM   #13
appabessy

Happy Birthday old girl. I love old dogs.

Old 09-18-2008, 03:17 PM   #14
NeroASERCH

Aww Happy B-day Cuddles!!!!

Reply to Thread New Thread